joey24dirt

DTP Owners Club

Hi, 18g I think it’s overloaded for dtp, I am doing with 14 to 16g max and I have a great results. Sometimes it’s just better to leave all the numbers a side and change the variables one at a time just to suit your personal taste. Maybe you can try some other beans too.

Good luck.

Don't the sage machines all come with that razor tool thing to cut/ flatten the dose in the basket? That should help you to get the fill level right. Failing that, the coin trick will help (2p/5p/10p probably all good, £1 not so much).

Overfilling will make for a bad shot, difficulty in locking the PF in, and also explains why you had difficulty knocking out the compressed puck.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Thanks for the replies. I guess because I read so much about 18g in I just took that as gospel really. I'll experiment with less.

The razor can help with the dose but I quite enjoy weighing it in at the moment, at least until I get a grinder.

I'm only having trouble knocking out the puck in the pressurised baskets. The puck comes straight out of the single wall ones.

Cheers

David

Flat white please :time-out:

Sage DTP | Sage SGP | Motta tamper | a cut up mini whisk | dosing funnel

Tried 17g twice. The basket still came out when trying to knock the puck out. Was easier to get the pf locked in though.

Cant wait to get a grinder so I don't have to mess around with these grounds. Tis fun though.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies. I guess because I read so much about 18g in I just took that as gospel really. I'll experiment with less.

The razor can help with the dose but I quite enjoy weighing it in at the moment, at least until I get a grinder.

I'm only having trouble knocking out the puck in the pressurised baskets. The puck comes straight out of the single wall ones.

Cheers

David

That's one of the drawbacks of using the pressurised basket. The puck will always be more on the soupy side due to the pressure restriction.

Are you using a knock box with a bar or just knocking into the sink,bin etc?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

That's one of the drawbacks of using the pressurised basket. The puck will always be more on the soupy side due to the pressure restriction.

Are you using a knock box with a bar or just knocking into the sink,bin etc?

Knocking into the sink/food recycler so probably not ideal.

Knocking into the sink/food recycler so probably not ideal.
I used to knock into a tuppaware pot until I got a small motta knock bin & found the bar improved things greatly. It just seems to work better knocking on the middle of the basket instead of the edge. The grindenstein ones are quite cheap & well thought of. Sage make one too if you wish to brand match.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Thank you for the suggestions.

Daft question ahoy. What part of the pf should I be knocking? I think I whack the arm nearer the head(?). Too afraid of doing the metal damage I think.

Afternoon all. Tried a long black from the DTP and although I'm only using pre ground the taste was far superior to that of instant coffee. I'm glad my taste buds work to at least some degree.

Quick question regarding killing the shot to achieve desired output weight (34g); am I flipping the switch back to neutral at say 33g and taking scales and cup away (often resulting in a complete mess) or should I turn off at say 26/27g and let the flow stop? Not sure how the pressure will affect flow rate and therefore taste?

Cheers.

Hi, just turn it off whenever you have enough coffee in the cup and take the cup away immediately, if you leave the cup under the portafilter and let the coffee dripping in may make your shot taste worse. And remember, when using pre ground and pressurised baskets all measurements are different from when using a freshly ground beans, take it easy until you get yourself a grinder. Double wall espresso cups are also a good addition to the home set up.

Have a nice day all ✌️

Does the lack of a pressure gauge make dialling in shots and grinder setting more difficult? (Coming from a complete newbie)

Yes it is very easy and possible without a gauge by measuring input and output weight as well as timing.

The guage on the Barista Express is a bit of a gimmick as it doesn't even have numbers and you could get great espresso with a pressure reading which appears high. It is useful though for observing gradually increasing pre infusion pressure.

Does the lack of a pressure gauge make dialling in shots and grinder setting more difficult? (Coming from a complete newbie)

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

Hi Folks

I am a newbie (but have been reading an awful lot). Im looking for some help/advice from you more experienced people please!

I have a Sage DTP and a Sage Dose Control Pro grinder. Ive just bought some beans from JollyBeanRoastery (they are on this forum) - got the Columbia Kaizen Natural. It arrived yesterday (Tue) and was roasted on Mon.

So with all that out of the way here are my two issues:

1) Still getting very little crema. Everyone in another thread told me once Im using freshly roasted beans i will have crema going everywhere. Nope! i get some. Like 2mm on top of the coffee. When I see pics online...its like 60% crema on top of 40% coffee. Im probably 90% coffee, 10% crema and thats being generous.

2) I am struggling to dial in this coffee. See below:

From some cheap beans I bought from Sainsburys I knew that to get a 1:2 extraction in approx 30 seconds i needed to be grinding at about 5 on the Dose Control Pro.

Im down to 2 on the grinder now and my 18g dose (well tamped and level as far as I can see) is hits 40g out at 20s. 10 of that is PI! Ive basically got nowhere to go on the grinder?

Am i doing something wrong here?

Inside the grinder there is further adjustment on the top burr. if anyone is familiar with Sage grinders please can you let me know if I should be messing with this? I dont want to make the burrs touch!

thanks in advance

I can take pics if that helps

Methy

Firstly crema is not a universal indicator of good coffee. Different beans produce different amounts. I've had really nice coffee with little crema and vice versa. It's more important to get the right flow rate. As such your extraction is far too quick and the fault is likely with the grind size. I have not used the Sage grinder except within the Barista Express.

Try to adjust it and see if you can get it to touch. A safe way to do this is by rotating the inner burr by hand. If it makes a noise or doesn't move then you'll know its zeroed.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

Hi Folks

I am a newbie (but have been reading an awful lot). Im looking for some help/advice from you more experienced people please!

I have a Sage DTP and a Sage Dose Control Pro grinder. Ive just bought some beans from JollyBeanRoastery (they are on this forum) - got the Columbia Kaizen Natural. It arrived yesterday (Tue) and was roasted on Mon.

So with all that out of the way here are my two issues:

1) Still getting very little crema. Everyone in another thread told me once Im using freshly roasted beans i will have crema going everywhere. Nope! i get some. Like 2mm on top of the coffee. When I see pics online...its like 60% crema on top of 40% coffee. Im probably 90% coffee, 10% crema and thats being generous.

2) I am struggling to dial in this coffee. See below:

From some cheap beans I bought from Sainsburys I knew that to get a 1:2 extraction in approx 30 seconds i needed to be grinding at about 5 on the Dose Control Pro.

Im down to 2 on the grinder now and my 18g dose (well tamped and level as far as I can see) is hits 40g out at 20s. 10 of that is PI! Ive basically got nowhere to go on the grinder?

Am i doing something wrong here?

Inside the grinder there is further adjustment on the top burr. if anyone is familiar with Sage grinders please can you let me know if I should be messing with this? I dont want to make the burrs touch!

thanks in advance

I can take pics if that helps

Methy

Hey Methy,

Just wanna add; apart from the grind size, and tamp pressure which you're already aware of, perhaps investigate the distribution of grinds too?

I've learnt that even if the top surface of the grounds is rather flat (in the PF) prior to tamping, the sub-surface distribution of grinds could be non-uniform. So, there could be channeling going on somewhere there despite tamping. This could also lead to faster extraction.

I'm currently experimenting with the WDT (Weiss distribution technique) myself. Don't know if it would help your situation.

matt

Someone posted somewhere a stainless steel shot measure that would fit the Sage 53mm portafilter, anyone seen it? Been searching for a while and not found it again.

Otherwise I ordered the funnel that was linked on ebay, I may be able to invert the Niche cup into that.

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

Hi

Just joined the club today with a DTP... Upgrade from a delonghi scultura that died.. Currently looking at grinders. Still deciding if its worth the expense, or whether a manual or a hacked delonghi kg79 would suffice for a while....?

Is the performance enough to justify the price..?

Thanks!

Hi

Just joined the club today with a DTP... Upgrade from a delonghi scultura that died.. Currently looking at grinders. Still deciding if its worth the expense, or whether a manual or a hacked delonghi kg79 would suffice for a while....?

Is the performance enough to justify the price..?

Thanks!

With a good grinder, the DTP will pull a great shot. If you can gather up around £200 for your grinder you will do well to look for a Mazzer SJ or a Mignon.

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Sage own grinders are also good for espresso and if you are drinking one or two coffees a day SGP will suit you well, best user friendly grinder on a budget, wide range of settings too. With a good grinder and good beans even Delonghi or Krups or Saeco Poemia will pull a great shots. Smart Grinder Pro is a kind of a base from where you need to look upwards if you really want to get real espresso experience, anything less won’t get you anywhere.

With a good grinder, the DTP will pull a great shot. If you can gather up around £200 for your grinder you will do well to look for a Mazzer SJ or a Mignon.

Thanks, the mignon manuale looks pretty reasonable. That or look for a second hand one I think. Either e

Should be a pretty good improvement on the store bought pre ground stuff I'm using at the moment!

Sage own grinders are also good for espresso and if you are drinking one or two coffees a day SGP will suit you well, best user friendly grinder on a budget, wide range of settings too. With a good grinder and good beans even Delonghi or Krups or Saeco Poemia will pull a great shots. Smart Grinder Pro is a kind of a base from where you need to look upwards if you really want to get real espresso experience, anything less won’t get you anywhere.

Would you say the sage is good enough? I'm reading on here that people seem to prefer spending more to get a niche, eureka or mazzer..

Is it worth me spending the extra £100 for a new mignon manuale at this level..?

The names you mentioned are machines and the Sage is a company that make appliances , that’s the major difference but price is also different, right. I never looked to spend more than what I did for my set up, ( Sage duo temp pro and sgp), now more than a year I am so happy with them that I don’t even think of changing them at all until they are dead. You can look at sgp on YouTube there are very informative videos, Whole latte love and Seattle coffee gear are both very good channels to watch. Sgp imo can grind perfectly fine for an espresso shot , I can’t compare with higher level prosumer machines, but for a home barista on a budget it’s a win win.

Sorry, yes when I say Sage I'm referring to the SGP.

OK, I'm 90% convinced to get the SGP to go with my DTP.. Pity the 35% codes aren't working!

Also, I presume it's not really worth getting a 2nd hand SGP, in the same way you would a Mazzer or Niche?