joey24dirt

DTP Owners Club

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a Duo Temp Pro, managed to grab one from ecookshop for £229. Fairly impressed so far but I'm finding the steam wand to be very slow, took around 50 seconds to steam about 200ml of milk. Would you say this is fairly normal? I'm more accustomed to a La Marzocco FB80 so yes I know it will be slower but just wanted to compare with other forum members.

Also, any commercially available bottomless portafilters for these?

Bought this for both home use and also to get a good idea how our coffees taste through a sub £500 setup.

Thanks

Bradley

Hi. As a DTP user yes that is how long it normally takes to steam milk and understandably you will feel it coming off steaming on a commercial business.

You may also notice the milk is a slightly watier due to the time it takes.

All bottomless pfs I have seen have been custom made. I have one modified by @joey24dirt

Also if you are testing the espresso and milk drinks on this machine from your beans, that's great as it will give & DTP and BE users more certainty about what outcome they would get with your beans if you shared your experiences and findings made some machine specific recommendations.

Also please do let us know what grinder you would be using so it matches what a number of forumites may have. I and many others currently have a Niche Zero.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

Posted (edited)

I received one of these from a well meaning relative for Xmas

Capture.JPG

Was going to put it in a cupboard ready for donating as a raffle prize at some point in the future when a thought struck me. The cocoa dusting pot looked just the right size for a catch cup. Removed the lid and it does indeed fit like a glove, dose into it and then put my Norvin funnel on top then the portafilter and invert.

Edited by Hairy_Hogg

Enjoying espresso & filter 

Hi all,

Usual story, got a DTP for Christmas and have been playing around with limited success. I'm just using a modded kg79 at the minute, so I know my first step (of many) is a grinder. I have read as many of these posts as I can, I started eat the front and got about 35 in, then switched to the end and worked back, got to about 80 and decided to jump in. I'm not looking for any immediate tips as from what I've read from you good people I know the variables to experiment with to get what I'm looking forehand I'm enjoying the adventure.

One thing I will mention is my shots are starting fine but getting weak very quickly, which I think is poor quality beans?

Just one more thing, I have seen a Rancilio Rocky at a good price but have not seen one mentioned here, is it any good?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Looking for specific bean recommendations from DTP and Niche Zero owners so I can replicate the combo.

Also helpful would be:

1. How it's being drunk... I favor flat whites but am open to trying espresso if tasting one can convince me.

2. Coffee in/out/time for a shot i.e. 18g in 36g out in 45secs (whole time not from first drop).

Just trying to see the best the Niche can do on a DTP.

Thanks.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

I've recently bought the DTP and my cleaning disc has no hole in it. I have ready many other posts while learning about this machine that say it should have a hole as the machine itsself has no true backflush.

Do I need to create a hole or will I risk damage to the machine/pump if I try and clean with it as it is as there is nowhere for the water to go?

While my machine is fairly new, I ask this question because I noticed the shower screen is uneven in terms of water release and wondered if it already needed a "clean".

I clean my shower screen every week or two ( by removing it and giving it a wash) it always needs cleaning, sugest you try that. You might want to ring Sage about your cleaning disk, the pressure buld up without a hole could possible cause damage.

I spoke to Sage who said that all the new cleaning discs come without a hole and it will not cause any damage to the machine.

I am not sure on the physical reasons why, but I have it in writing at least!

I spoke to Sage who said that all the new cleaning discs come without a hole and it will not cause any damage to the machine.

I am not sure on the physical reasons why, but I have it in writing at least!

Ohh no does that mean I need to block my hole!

Hi all,

Finally took delivery of my DTP at the weekend. I really like the design of the machine, it's fairly robust and so far has been easy to use.

I only have some Tesco grounds to play with but from the one double shot I've pulled so far on the DTP I must say the coffee was pretty good, at least to my tastes. I ran some water through it all first then warmed up the portafilter and dried everything. 17g into the double basket and away I went. I did try and eyeball when the texture changed as to when I ought to stop the water but the time was at or around 40 seconds. I'll start to take some notes on subsequent pulls. The coffee certainly wasn't bitter or sour.

I am now after a couple of items to improve the process. A proper tamper (the one supplied is a little bit ropey) and some scales so that I can measure output and time things. Oh and a grinder of course. Currently waiting for John Lewis to have a sale on so that we can spend some of our wedding vouchers.

Great thread. I will no doubt be back in here asking loads more daft questions.

Hi guys. Glad this thread is still going strong. Has anyone tried to order a portafilter recently? Can’t see them listed on the site.

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Hi guys. Glad this thread is still going strong. Has anyone tried to order a portafilter recently? Can’t see them listed on the site.

I haven't but I have sent you a pm :) definitely interested but think I perhaps need a distribution tool and a tamper first.

Their stock list online is always unrepresentative. The truth is only discovered on the phone unfortunately. Hassle I know. And if out of stock they can normally let you know when they will be.

I haven't but I have sent you a pm :) definitely interested but think I perhaps need a distribution tool and a tamper first.

Yes I’ve seen it. I’ll reply shortly matey

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Their stock list online is always unrepresentative. The truth is only discovered on the phone unfortunately. Hassle I know. And if out of stock they can normally let you know when they will be.

I have an email from the last batch I got so I might just ask the question. Would be a shame if they stopped doing them.

@SkateReclaimCreate

Had a bit of a fail last night. Pulled a shot into a glass that clearly wasn't meant for 93'C liquids. Glass and coffee everywhere. Ruined my scales too but these were old and a bit crap anyway. I did have a bit of fun chopping up a tube of bicarb soda which fits perfectly into the pf. Thanks for the tip.

I'm making my way back through this thread as I recall someone suggesting placing a 20p on top of the grounds once tamped. If it left an indent then this was a good indication of the amount of grounds and tamping pressure etc. Could someone perhaps clarify this?

Cheers

Quick question, how on earth do I go about removing the plastic disc in the pf? I almost punctured my hand attempting with a flat head screwdriver. Is it screwed in?

Cheers

David

Quick question, how on earth do I go about removing the plastic disc in the pf? I almost punctured my hand attempting with a flat head screwdriver. Is it screwed in?

Cheers

David

I unscrewed the spout of the PF then poked it through from the bottom. I don’t know if they are being put together differently now but it came out quite easily when I did it!

Pre-millennium La Pavoni, Sage Duo Temp Pro, Niche Zero

Aergrind + Aeropress for travelling

I unscrewed the spout of the PF then poked it through from the bottom. I don’t know if they are being put together differently now but it came out quite easily when I did it!
That's what I've been trying. Will give it another go. Mrs is on standby in case of an accident.

In other news. Tried to split a double shot into two cups. 18g in, ended up with 68g total. Tasted really bitter and went in the sink. I then realised I hadn't warmed up the pf at all.

Many fails on many levels. Enjoying the learning curve though.

Cheers.

Sorted. Squeezed the clips in with a small screwdriver and out it popped.

Thanks for the help.

Pulled a shot into a glass that clearly wasn't meant for 93'C liquids.

I'm making my way back through this thread as I recall someone suggesting placing a 20p on top of the grounds once tamped. If it left an indent then this was a good indication of the amount of grounds and tamping pressure etc. Could someone perhaps clarify this?

Think it was a 5p that was suggested. Can't remember who said it, might be Joey24dirt, but I did just read through all 127 pages of this thread in one setting, so the advice was definitely in there somewhere.

On the glass front, reminds me of when I tried pouring the (hot) oil from my deep fat fryer back into the plastic bottle it came from, rather than wait hours for it cool. Wasn't a good idea.

That's what I've been trying. Will give it another go. Mrs is on standby in case of an accident.

In other news. Tried to split a double shot into two cups. 18g in, ended up with 68g total. Tasted really bitter and went in the sink. I then realised I hadn't warmed up the pf at all.

68g out? Did you time it? That sounds like way too coarse a grind. Temperature of the PF isn't going to make any difference if it's pouring out of the spouts like a raging torrent.

[/color]

Think it was a 5p that was suggested. Can't remember who said it, might be Joey24dirt, but I did just read through all 127 pages of this thread in one setting, so the advice was definitely in there somewhere.

On the glass front, reminds me of when I tried pouring the (hot) oil from my deep fat fryer back into the plastic bottle it came from, rather than wait hours for it cool. Wasn't a good idea.

68g out? Did you time it? That sounds like way too coarse a grind. Temperature of the PF isn't going to make any difference if it's pouring out of the spouts like a raging torrent.

I'm up to page 90 odd again. Decided to read things through a second time since actually receiving my DTP.

Regarding my last shot, I'm using a bag of pre ground which is probably going to mean things are hit and miss anyway. Using them mainly to just familiarise myself with the whole process and practice. Interestingly though my very first pull was, I think, somewhat decent. This last one was bloody awful.

Time out was around 23-25 seconds to 68g. Perhaps not a strong enough tamp? My motta tamper is arriving early next week so hoping that improves things.

Cheers

I'm up to page 90 odd again. Decided to read things through a second time since actually receiving my DTP.

Regarding my last shot, I'm using a bag of pre ground which is probably going to mean things are hit and miss anyway. Using them mainly to just familiarise myself with the whole process and practice. Interestingly though my very first pull was, I think, somewhat decent. This last one was bloody awful.

Time out was around 23-25 seconds to 68g. Perhaps not a strong enough tamp? My motta tamper is arriving early next week so hoping that improves things.

Cheers

Use the pressurised baskets for your preground. It's what they're there for.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Use the pressurised baskets for your preground. It's what they're there for.
I was watching videos on YouTube last night and somebody suggested this. Will give it a go.

Cheers

Evening. So I switched to the double pressurised basket until I get a grinder involved. Once I had 18g of grounds in there I found it quite hard to get the pf into the group head. I really had to force it. It was as though it wasn't lined up properly. I've no issue when the pf is empty. Am I over filling perhaps?

Also, getting the puck out of the pressurised basket was a bit of a pain. After a few firm taps the basket came out with the grinds and into the sink. Am I doing something wrong here?

18g in and about 40 out for the first pull tonight. Didnt realise quite how much water still flowed out after stopping the shot.

2nd shot was better at around 38g. Tasted slightly sour though. To be honest I'm just happy I think I can tell the difference between what is sour and bitter!

Cheers