I have one more question. Apart from Tesco for spice pots is there anywhere a funnel could be ordered from please?

There’s an option on eBay (£10) that are wide and light. @Norvin does them which are heavy and straight (column design), which are heftier and nicer to use.

efa4c37f4be997a6a0a56daa7dfdfe30.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure     And the results can be something like this...  

It is likely the machine can be fixed with a proper descale and a new pump. They cost 13 pounds and are generic. If not you haven't lost much. Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bought a thermometer and had a look at my DTP unpressurised best i could get was 79 at the PF and group head pressurised managed 90 at the PF with the blanking disc in  

Posted Images

I have one more question. Apart from Tesco for spice pots is there anywhere a funnel could be ordered from please?
Quick cheap short-term option is a yogurt pot. Noticed quite by chance a Cadbury chocolate steam pudding pot is a near perfect fit for a 58mm pf though that'd obviously be too large for a dtp.
There’s an option on eBay (£10) that are wide and light. @Norvin does them which are heavy and straight (column design), which are heftier and nicer to use.

@Norvin - Any chance of one of yours? @PPapa - Do you have the ebay link please

Edited by Hairy_Hogg
I've only had the DTP for a few days and still getting dialled in, but I've noticed sometimes the steamer just randomly loses power.

I pull a shot, turn on the steamer, when steam is filling the tray I turn it off, put the jug under and submerge the nozzle in the milk, and then after 10-20 secs it just dies and goes quiet, I then have to turn the dial to centre and back to steam then go again.

It seems random and doesn't happen too often, but it means I'm steaming the milk in two stages, anyone else experienced this?

Have you just waited a bit? Mine does this sometimes - blasts a bit through the wand, then goes quiet then the thudding starts and it start steaming properly. Doesn't always follow the same pattern, I think it depends how long you run it and how hot the machine is. So without the jug, you turn the dial to the right to start the steam wand, wait for all the water to clear out and steam to start properly, then turn back to the middle, pop the jug under and then turn the dial to the right again to start steaming the milk. Sometimes it starts thumping almost instantly, sometimes it steams a bit then starts thumping, sometimes it stops and goes quiet, then it starts thumping. It always seems to get going after a second or two at most.

Hi all, I'm very new to the coffee scene and thinking of purchasing a Sage DTP along with the Sage Grinder Pro. I do really like the rawness of the Gaggia and they look fun to play with and modify but I'm not sure the Mrs would like the look of it on the counter top.

I realise the views in here will be relatively biased. Is the DTP suited to a beginner such as myself?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a beginner and have had one for a few months, so I would say yes they are beginner friendly. I've just upgraded to a Lelit Bianca and wil be advertising here in the next day or so.

Hi all, I'm very new to the coffee scene and thinking of purchasing a Sage DTP along with the Sage Grinder Pro. I do really like the rawness of the Gaggia and they look fun to play with and modify but I'm not sure the Mrs would like the look of it on the counter top.

I realise the views in here will be relatively biased. Is the DTP suited to a beginner such as myself?

Thanks for the advice.

Definitely beginner friendly with the capability to progress with you as your skills improve. You could definitely do a lot worse for the price, I've been more than happy with mine. Very happy with my SGP too :good:

Quick question if I may. I'm slowly getting together a list of kit equipment to start me on my journey into the world of decent coffee. I have my eye on the following:

Sage DTP

Sage SGP

Beans from Rave

Motta tamper 53mm

For a few hundred pounds I think the above would be a good start and get me on my way. I am a little confused as to what the distribution tool does though and whether it is necessary. Especially the ones that have been modded with the flat base. Does this not do the same job as the tamper or am I missing something here? Also, are the naked portafilters a good way to go?

Thanks for the help.

Hi all, newbie here. I have just made my first attempts at espresso making after using an Aeropress.

Yesterday I took delivery of

DTP

SGP

Sage knock box

Scales

I have on the way,

Another scale with timer

Tamping mat

Milk thermometer

Espresso shot glass

Loveramics Mug

Barista towel set - so I can at least look professional, even though I'm not.

Yesterday I made some very bad coffee, sour and bitter, all went down the sink. I was up till 1am reading about ratios and watching videos.

Second attempt this morning I finally pulled a drinkable shot, I used the double basket, 18g dose and over ran slightly for 42g output in 32 seconds, my scales are a bit slow.

I'm no coffee expert but it was as good as most coffees I've had in cafes. I'm sure I can improve it further but for now I'm just happy I made something drinkable.

I spent a lot of time reading here so I'd like to thank you guys.

Is there anything else I need?

I think your next purchase should be a tamper since the stock one is quite a bad fit. Motta tamper will do and it’s quite cheap. Joey’s custom tampers are better fit. They look awesome too:

Joey's special oak/skateboard tamper and portafilter handles

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=6813&share_tid=43024&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcoffeeforums%2Eco%2Euk%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D43024&share_type=t

Bottomless Portafilter will help with diagnosing your shot preparation and portafilter funnel, distribution tool or a modified whisk (or both) will help with that preparation. I wouldn’t stress over it as you can get 80% (a complete finger in the air figure!) out of your setup and beans.

The god shots we all chase are great fun, but becomes an obsession with diminishing returns.

Thanks for the reply but I don't fully understand everything you said. What makes the stock tamper a bad fit, I see the Motta one is about £20, will it help a lot. The custom one by Joey looks cool but I haven't found where or how I buy one, think I also saw a bottomless portafilter he made.

Funnel, distribution tool or modified whisk - could you please but this into more simple words for a simpleton lol.

I'll try not to go too mad, though I am a bit of a perfectionist. Yesterday I got myself into a caffeine induced frenzy, I should have spat the bad coffee instead of keep drinking a bit of each one.

I think there are few resources by Matt Perger who written up the importance of the size of the tamper if you want to look into it deeper. I’m not a coffee scientist, but you might still find the following text intimidating - it’s okay... we’ve all been there, thinking “coffee, hot water, pressure - espresso done!”

Tampers... In a nutshell, you want something that compresses grounds evenly. If you had a 1mm edge on each side, then the water will take a path of least resistance and you will get an uneven water flow through the puck. Some will claim they can taste a difference, but I haven’t deliberately tried it.

Motta or Joey’s tampers are wider in diameter and provide a snug fit, leaving less of a gap (virtually no wiggle room). You can ping @joey24dirt as he’s a forum member.

The funnel is an extension to the basket that makes coffee distribution (shot preparation) easier and mess free. You want to weigh the grounds and keep them in the basket, not on the counter!

Something like this... @Norvin used to sell them (the one on the left) and there’s an option on eBay (right one).

cde9b1338b5541c7e20e009d32fed528.jpg

Modified whisk is a tool to stir grinds in the basket. Helps with breaking any clumped grounds and even extraction. Not many available to buy, so people just chop a whisk.

57f513e3aaeda13b90bff5c01fc62622.jpg

Distribution tool is a grooming device for the top of the puck. Makes the level and even tamping easier.

08d1c303f83c77bb80ae4cab3c275026.jpg

My usual workflow:

Grind into a cup and shake the cup

Put a funnel on the portafilter, invert it

Stir the grounds and get it level-ish

Tap to settle the grounds

Groom with distribution tool

Light tamp

There are few good articles on diagnosing the issues by using bottomless portafilter, but in short, you want something that looks even in terms of flow and colour.

What I said and what I do is not the universal truth - happy to be corrected. It’s just what I do and what I found works best for me (until I learn something new).

TL;DR: even extraction, even extraction, even extraction.

Thanks again for all the info.

I will get a whisk and cut it. I will also look at getting a tamper and a funnel.

I made another espresso this afternoon and it was also good. Then made my gf a Latte and she was impressed, though she's not a big coffee drinker.

I had a few more bits turn up today, shot glass, I was using a 1/3 pint beer tasting glass that was too tall. Also new scales with timer built in, makes things much easier.

Tomorrow my Motta tamper should come and I've just ordered the Motta tamping station as I keep getting coffee grounds on the floor and my worktop is a bit too rounded.

This has been a more expensive setup then I had planned for, but at least now my only outlay will be beans, water filters and descaling tablets.

Speaking of filters, where is the best place to buy replacements?

Welcome to the forum then! You’re a true member now. Just kidding...

Some folk use a BWT water jug to refill the tank. My water is soft, but quite chlorinated, so I reuse the same jug for drinking water and refilling espresso machine. I think that’s what Reiss from Londinium suggested, so I stole that idea.

It was under £20 for a 6 month supply of filters. You’ll need a jug initially, too.

Welcome to the forum then! You’re a true member now. Just kidding...

Some folk use a BWT water jug to refill the tank. My water is soft, but quite chlorinated, so I reuse the same jug for drinking water and refilling espresso machine. I think that’s what Reiss from Londinium suggested, so I stole that idea.

It was under £20 for a 6 month supply of filters. You’ll need a jug initially, too.

Thanks, I see the filters are expensive. I'm wondering if an inline filter would be better, I could fit one to my sink and it looks like they last a long time and work out cheaper.

Just trying to figure out if I can put it on my existing tap or I need to add an extra tap.

I noticed the water tank empties very quickly, wish I could run a feed and tap to the tank, then just turn a tap on to fill the tank.

Thanks, I see the filters are expensive. I'm wondering if an inline filter would be better, I could fit one to my sink and it looks like they last a long time and work out cheaper.

Just trying to figure out if I can put it on my existing tap or I need to add an extra tap.

I noticed the water tank empties very quickly, wish I could run a feed and tap to the tank, then just turn a tap on to fill the tank.

Yeah one of the few drawbacks with this machine, once you've run a warming shot and a couple of drinks you can easily have used 1/4 to 1/2 a tank!

I have a feeling the purging is that used up a lot of water. Nothing to back this up.

I just found that my L-R has a completely dry drip tray and i need to refill the water tank so less often. Not a reason for an upgrade, but nice to have...

I'll get a filtered tap next year, will also be good for drinking water. Water filter man near Birmingham seems very reasonable.

My Motta tamper arrived today, it is so much better, good call on that. Better fit and even the feel of it. I feel like my shots are pretty consistent already, to my taste buds at least.

Edit - What's an L-R?

Edited by Nick1881

I unwrapped my DTP on Christmas Day, pressie from wife purchased on Black Friday (£229 bargain).

Had already sorted from the forum a Joey adapted distributor and push style tamper as well as a Norvin funnel so was ready to go.

Paired it with my Minion from my old Gaggia classic and was pleasantly surprised that my second shot was pretty much on the money 18g to 36 in 34 seconds, Foundry Rio Magdelana beans as thought they would be an easy bean to dial in and would go well with milk for wifey who likes a latte. Had purchased the beans in advance so they were well rested and the espresso shot was bang on the tasting notes

Had a go with milk steaming yesterday, latte for wife, and again was impressed with the ease of steaming the milk. Perfect micro foam and a brownie points earning drink served up.

Must say, very impressed with the DTP compared to my old Classic. Was drinking much more pour over due to the challenge of getting a decent temp surfed shot out the classic but I think the ratio of espresso to V60 might change a little now.

1225d4a9bf41c382995628ccf8590d80.jpg

Edited by Hairy_Hogg

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a Duo Temp Pro, managed to grab one from ecookshop for £229. Fairly impressed so far but I'm finding the steam wand to be very slow, took around 50 seconds to steam about 200ml of milk. Would you say this is fairly normal? I'm more accustomed to a La Marzocco FB80 so yes I know it will be slower but just wanted to compare with other forum members.

Also, any commercially available bottomless portafilters for these?

Bought this for both home use and also to get a good idea how our coffees taste through a sub £500 setup.

Thanks

Bradley