joey24dirt

DTP Owners Club

Can some kind soul clear something up for me please...

The baskets on the DTP are 54mm instead of the standard 58mm. So does it hold the same amount of coffee as the standard 58mm but just a deeper basket or not?

I’m only asking for timing and dosage purposes really.

I watch a lot of videos and they pull a double shot of 2oz (60g) around the 25 second mark.

On my DTP with 17g of coffee I aim for around 35g in 25 seconds using my double basket...

So can you only get these standard measures using using a 58mm standard basket and if so, how does this all convert to the DTP?

Just something that’s always niggled me and I don’t properly understand that’s all as I often see videos where they pull about 60ml (g) of espresso from 18g of coffee.

Thanks for any help.

Tony

Edited by Deeez Nuuutz

ECM Synchronika, Kafatek Monolith Flat, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCDv3 Distribution Tool, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy, Aeropress, Aergrind, notNeutral Cups

The Sage double holds 18g. 17-18g in a 58mm PF is the same thing.

Concentrate on the weight out, 60ml out could be anything from 40-60g out depending on crema. But 18:45g (for example) is always 18:45g.

Italian espresso ratios are very varied, they're not always multiples of an ounce out, they don't even use ounces there. If you're pulling anything between say, 1:2 and 1:4 you're pulling normal espresso ratios. Where it tastes best will depend on how coarse/fine you grind & how strong/weak you prefer it.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Also, don't worry too much about time, (within reason) it has the least effect on taste after dose & brew ratio. You might find a longer pour preferable plus your machine has pre-infusion which will add a few seconds.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Thanks for the advice guys!

ECM Synchronika, Kafatek Monolith Flat, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCDv3 Distribution Tool, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy, Aeropress, Aergrind, notNeutral Cups

Hi all

Finally my DTP arrived and I can join the club ;)

Have mignon v2 for over 2 yrs now an I love it

Belive I will be able to say same words about my new machine, after some time.

Evening All,

Just trying to get clarification on probably an easy question -- these distribution tools I see now and then on the forum; are they for the sole benefit of levelling out the grind, or can the tamp too?

Also, I've googled and can't seem to find one which fits the ports -- I'm guessing this is a modification on others that I've seen?

Thanks (BTW - would recommend trying some 'Blending Rooms' coffee if you haven't -- very very good!!)

A Northern Coffee Newbie. Sage Dual Temp Pro & Smart Grinder Pro.

Well for the people who grind pretty fine only certain machines. they could tamp with it but most do use for distribution. some are 58 and some 54 I think not sure

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I made a few. They need to be 53mm or somewhere near. I think I went for 53.4mm

Mainly used to level off but after a while I stopped using it.

Get a good consistent tamp technique, stir the grinds with a mini whisk or something similar and you will have great results.

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Commandante C40 and aeropress 

please don’t ask me to mod your sage portafilter

@SkateReclaimCreate

Think most of the ones used by dtp owners have been turned down from 58mm by @joey24dirt.

If you can find a tight fitting one then tamping afterwards isn't always neccessary depending on your grinder.

Get a good consistent tamp technique, stir the grinds with a mini whisk or something similar and you will have great results.

Speak of the devil....

Speak of the devil....

? I’ve been banished since getting my other machines.

@SkateReclaimCreate

Evening All,

Just trying to get clarification on probably an easy question -- these distribution tools I see now and then on the forum; are they for the sole benefit of levelling out the grind, or can the tamp too?

Also, I've googled and can't seem to find one which fits the ports -- I'm guessing this is a modification on others that I've seen?

Thanks (BTW - would recommend trying some 'Blending Rooms' coffee if you haven't -- very very good!!)

I use the following (53mm), fits the DTP basket fine and at 25 odd quid, is a fraction of the price of an OCD one. Nice weight to it aswell and levels the grind a treat.

'Scarlet Speciale Espresso Distributor Coffee Tamper 58*mm 53*mm 51*mm 49*mm 47*mm 41*mm for Perfect Extraction in Portafilter Machines, Black, 53 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Y2TGLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8KTKBbWBFAYWF

Sage Duo Temp Pro. Sage Smart Grinder Pro. Bike Hub Tamper with Euro Curved Base. Naked Portafilter Joey Handle.

Think most of the ones used by dtp owners have been turned down from 58mm by @joey24dirt.

If you can find a tight fitting one then tamping afterwards isn't always neccessary depending on your grinder.

Thanks for the info chaps - I thought as much, that the ones I had seen were too big. I know someone was selling one recently, but think I've missed out there as I believe she's had a buyer. If not using yours Joey, don't suppose you would still have it to pass on (jk, I mean sell!)?

Saw the mini whisky chats - so may consider doing that I guess!

I use the following (53mm), fits the DTP basket fine and at 25 odd quid, is a fraction of the price of an OCD one. Nice weight to it aswell and levels the grind a treat.

'Scarlet Speciale Espresso Distributor Coffee Tamper 58*mm 53*mm 51*mm 49*mm 47*mm 41*mm for Perfect Extraction in Portafilter Machines, Black, 53 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Y2TGLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8KTKBbWBFAYWF

Thanks again MC - I''ll check this out. On a side note, got the Hario grinder working much better now.

Nice one, what did you do to it to sort it?

Sage Duo Temp Pro. Sage Smart Grinder Pro. Bike Hub Tamper with Euro Curved Base. Naked Portafilter Joey Handle.

Thanks for the info chaps - I thought as much, that the ones I had seen were too big. I know someone was selling one recently, but think I've missed out there as I believe she's had a buyer. If not using yours Joey, don't suppose you would still have it to pass on (jk, I mean sell!)?

Saw the mini whisky chats - so may consider doing that I guess!

Thanks again MC - I''ll check this out. On a side note, got the Hario grinder working much better now.

Mine went a long time ago sorry dude. Looks like you should be able to grab a 53mm easy enough though so still an option. I’d definitely try a little whisk first or even a cocktail stick to move the grounds about, then get your tamp right

@SkateReclaimCreate

Mine went a long time ago sorry dude. Looks like you should be able to grab a 53mm easy enough though so still an option. I’d definitely try a little whisk first or even a cocktail stick to move the grounds about, then get your tamp right

Thanks Joe. Think I will whisk first, and if that doesn’t help - grab one of those tools suggested (I’ve seen them in local coffee shops - hence me thinking they were needed).

Anyway, cheers chaps - very helpful. Off to a local coffee place now for some breakfast now! lol.

Hi

After a week with DTP Iam just wondering how much coffe you guys using to do double espresso ?

I was tweaking my mignon but 18g coffe is totally max I can pack in basket, and need to be grind little corser whats not giving me consistent results. Sometimes coffe is overextracted and taste sour.

Whats your tipical recipe for double shot ?

@eslord when I had my DTP I was dosing 17g and stopping the shot at around 30g out. That was with lighter roasts.

What beans are you using?

@SkateReclaimCreate

Iam using rave signature. I think will switch to 17g more fine grind and less tamping pressure it gonna give more head space, and believe better extraction.

Hi

After a week with DTP Iam just wondering how much coffe you guys using to do double espresso ?

I was tweaking my mignon but 18g coffe is totally max I can pack in basket, and need to be grind little corser whats not giving me consistent results. Sometimes coffe is overextracted and taste sour.

Whats your tipical recipe for double shot ?

Sour is more usually under extracted. Maybe try grinding finer.

I usually do 18:72g in 20-30s.

I was doing 18g : 40 out in 35sec

Loosen off the grind a tad & try 45g out.

Are you grinding into the PF? If so, don't.

You could try grinding into the portafilter and a stir with a cocktail stick and level off with the metal blade so it’s full to the top and level with the edge. Then tamp. I find this gives me the best most consistent results with the coffee beans I use and the minion. If it flows too slowly usually because it’s too fine and the tamp doesn’t squash the grinds much I back off the grind. I know this is not an accepted method but no messing with scales and easy and consistent based on volume not mass. 35s extraction time.

Iam using rave signature. I think will switch to 17g more fine grind and less tamping pressure it gonna give more head space, and believe better extraction.

I found the Rave signature too light a roast and gave me not great and varied results. Flavour wasn’t strong enough for me to get good enough Expresso and crema.