joey24dirt

DTP Owners Club

It's been a little while since I've posted on here. Just want to pick people's brains.

Do you guys run a flush of water before pulling a shot?

I have been trying different methods recently and have just tried flushing the shower screen up to the pressure ramp, insert pf with prepped coffee and pull the shot from there. Gave a lovely looking pour and the shot tasted better I think.

I'll try again for the next few days and see what the results are like.

Just wondering if anyone else does something similar

I do on the Sage DB.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I do on the Sage DB.

Does the DB have a heated grouphead?

As much as I love the DTP, the DB is never far from my thoughts I need to tell myself daily that I don't need one.......yet

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Commandante C40 and aeropress 

please don’t ask me to mod your sage portafilter

@SkateReclaimCreate

Does the DB have a heated grouphead?

As much as I love the DTP, the DB is never far from my thoughts I need to tell myself daily that I don't need one.......yet

It does. It’s actually a heat element rather than circulating water from the boiler, like E61 and the likes.

I started backflushing before pulling a first shot and then flush again. A bit of a faff, but heats up nicely.

It does. It’s actually a heat element rather than circulating water from the boiler, like E61 and the likes.

I started backflushing before pulling a first shot and then flush again. A bit of a faff, but heats up nicely.

I always initially run hot water into my cup to heat that also.

So do you just drop the cleaning disk in to trap the hot water in the pf?

@SkateReclaimCreate

I always initially run hot water into my cup to heat that also.

So do you just drop the cleaning disk in to trap the hot water in the pf?

Yeah, it holds up the water for a bit longer.

A bit of a mess with a naked portafilter, though.

Yeah, it holds up the water for a bit longer.

A bit of a mess with a naked portafilter, though.

Haha yes I bet. Oh also your package is on it's way

@SkateReclaimCreate

How many of you guys drink espresso from your DTPs? I am happy with my milk based drinks but I still can't quite get espresso to my liking. I might be expecting too much from the machine but I have been out at restaurants and had fantastic espresso so its not that I don't like it or don't appreciate it.

Yes, I do.

I’m still trying to train myself to notice the difference between sour and bitter and then how to correct it.

However the shots I’ve had so far are ok. Maybe a bit bitter. But seem sweeter once the shot has cooled slightly.

Also I want to do a few shots in a row, extracting various weights and then taste testing to see what’s what.

How many of you guys drink espresso from your DTPs? I am happy with my milk based drinks but I still can't quite get espresso to my liking. I might be expecting too much from the machine but I have been out at restaurants and had fantastic espresso so its not that I don't like it or don't appreciate it.

Yes I really enjoy them from the DTP also. Once you're on it, it does really well.

@SkateReclaimCreate

I recommend getting Colombian Suarez (Rave is selling it at the moment) as a good practice bean. After 10 days of resting the DTP puts out some very good shots consistently.

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

I do drink espresso, pretty much daily.

What’s your espresso recipe? Weight in, weight out, shot time?

Yep I do. Have had some great shots and some not so great shots - user error ;) Still learning all the time. Are you weighing your coffee in and out and timing your shots?

ECM Mechanika V Slim / Eureka Mignon MK2 / Wilfa Svart grinder

Cheers for the replies folks. I'm generally putting 18g in for 36 out but I have tried a 1:3 ratio as well. General time of shot is ~30s from start of pre-infusion.

Cheers for the replies folks. I'm generally putting 18g in for 36 out but I have tried a 1:3 ratio as well. General time of shot is ~30s from start of pre-infusion.

Trying dosing 17g>30g out. I've had my tastiest shots cutting them before the 1:2 ratio. Obviously depends on the beans but worth a go

@SkateReclaimCreate

Just done a couple of shots at 17g > 33g. About 25 seconds. I think that’s a sweet spot for me. Also getting better with the milk. 9dfccac2651be44c222295b43ba04f0d.jpg

Just done a couple of shots at 17g > 33g. About 25 seconds. I think that’s a sweet spot for me. Also getting better with the milk. 9dfccac2651be44c222295b43ba04f0d.jpg

Did you try it as an espresso?

@SkateReclaimCreate

Nice - where did you pick up the milk skills - I'm still pretty green in this area.

Did you try it as an espresso?

Yes, had a sip before putting the milk in. I do most of the time to see how I’m getting on.

Nice - where did you pick up the milk skills - I'm still pretty green in this area.

YouTube, tips on here, and trial and error! I did two in a row earlier for me and the missus. So I made a mental note of what I did and will repeat next time

Evening All, in the last two weeks I've noticed that my DTP isn't using as much water as it used to. Having to refill the tank less frequently. Must actually measure how many i get from full tank when I refill again. Haven't noticed any difference in my coffee's. Anyone else have this happen at any stage?. Cheers

Have you been more efficient with your steaming?

As an update, I’m getting used to my grinders and dtp. With a bit of practice my latte art is improving.

ca61c6de40f5fd138a9d19351806c855.jpg

5c90ffb3a7437eb9ee1947b168e017b4.jpg

Noticed I held my jug slightly twisted, hence the art slightly to the side, so I will try and correct that.

Evening All, in the last two weeks I've noticed that my DTP isn't using as much water as it used to. Having to refill the tank less frequently. Must actually measure how many i get from full tank when I refill again. Haven't noticed any difference in my coffee's. Anyone else have this happen at any stage?. Cheers

I can't say I've ever noticed.

Do you weigh your shots?

@SkateReclaimCreate

I can't say I've ever noticed.

Do you weigh your shots?

Yes weigh my shots each time, haven't been doing anything different that I can think of. Will see how I go over next couple of water tank refills, maybe it was an anomaly.

Yes weigh my shots each time, haven't been doing anything different that I can think of. Will see how I go over next couple of water tank refills, maybe it was an anomaly.

Have you changed the size of the milk pitcher to a smaller one? As mentioned earlier could be down to steaming. Interesting to find out though if you get to the bottom of it.

@SkateReclaimCreate

Show off your toolkit, folk!

I’ll start - just before weekly sinking into Cafiza.

c39dd0006f3ccaad461d2af1b45b9a21.jpg

0136a72c4dde39de55581b3a58d8ee0d.jpg

Most of my kit. Obviously I have cups and milk pitchers.... oh and two tamping mats. One for the edge and one fits perfectly on top of the DTP.

@SkateReclaimCreate