joey24dirt

DTP Owners Club

I've noticed that there's a bit of a DB owners club going on so thought a DTP club could be useful. Maybe use this as a place to share hints and tips. I know it's a fairly basic machine but they all still have little quirks. I'll start by posting a pic of my set up. Chrome DTP with dose control pro grinder. Please excuse my horrible kitchen walls. This is the last room left to renovate

feae6770a4d3c1dd9347640282ab004e.jpg

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Heres my DTP setup, coupled with the SJ this thing is seriously impressive! 29470a1927969d8317d96399660ed3ff.jpg

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Looks great @Rakesh I've been looking at possibly replacing my grinder but money is a little tight at the moment

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Looks great @Rakesh I've been looking at possibly replacing my grinder but money is a little tight at the moment
Yeah, I bought a similar grinder but very quickly upgraded and was very shocked at the difference it can make. The DTP is a very good espresso machine albeit due to the lack of info on them out there compared to the classic or silvia can be quite daunting for anyone considering a first machine. Hopefully this thread can offer more insight into what this machine can do!

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Great thread.. I'm new to the scene and have ordered a DTP and smart grinder pro so should find this thread very useful.... @Rakesh ..... Love the coffee cups!

Little bit of action with the naked pf last night. I took a video also so might upload that in a bit.

0f08c64103e9a00d3160a4bc63743b62.jpg

@SkateReclaimCreate

Looks quality that joey, where did you get that little dosing funnel from in your set up pic.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Looks quality that joey, where did you get that little dosing funnel from in your set up pic.

Tesco!! It's on old pot of mixed spice haha. I just cut it down to fit. I warmed up the edge of it with a lighter and pushed it into the basket so it formed to the shape and is a perfect fit. Thrifty over here

@SkateReclaimCreate

DTP and Mignon for me. Still lots to learn, but enjoying the journey :) Still coveting your naked PF Joey :)

ECM Mechanika V Slim / Eureka Mignon MK2 / Wilfa Svart grinder

DTP and Mignon for me. Still lots to learn, but enjoying the journey :) Still coveting your naked PF Joey :)

Aw man I'm getting pretty desperate for a mignon now. Have you gone from a sage grinder to the mignon?

Ah yes the naked pf. Might have opened up a gap in the market. Shame I couldn't get hold of a load at cost price to mod for everyone.

@SkateReclaimCreate

Aw man I'm getting pretty desperate for a mignon now. Have you gone from a sage grinder to the mignon?

I have, yeah. I kept the Sage as I drink quite a lot of brewed coffee too, so I still use it for that.

So would you say it's definitely made a difference using the mignon with the DTP @Beth71 ?

@SkateReclaimCreate

I've only had the Mignon a couple of weeks so still properly getting to grips with dialling it in and getting used to the differences between it and the Sage, but, on the basis of the short time I've had it, yep, I think so. Shots definitely seem a bit more consistent and just generally 'better'. It's also just a lot more solid than the Sage. I found the Sage struggled a bit with some decaf beans I had when grinding for espresso and some lighter roasts - so far, no such qualms about the Mignon.

Little bit of action with the naked pf last night. I took a video also so might upload that in a bit.

0f08c64103e9a00d3160a4bc63743b62.jpg

Wow look at that lovely golden goodness!

Sage Creatista Plus | Rhinowares Hand Grinder | Bialetti Moka

That's great thanks @Beth71 I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good deal on one

@SkateReclaimCreate

Wow look at that lovely golden goodness!

Looks nice doesn't it. Still having a few little spurts where I'm not fully distributed so still need to work on that.

@SkateReclaimCreate

I still can't do Rosetta's @JimBean1

@SkateReclaimCreate

Sure

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28007[/ATTACH]

And the results can be something like this...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28008[/ATTACH]

Looks brilliant mate

Beans>Grinders>Machines

I still can't do Rosetta's @JimBean1

Good coz I can't do tulips :)

Sage Creatista Plus | Rhinowares Hand Grinder | Bialetti Moka

Anyone want to share their work flow and any techniques or anything that people have found help the DTP to reach its full potential? I find its much harder to get an even distribution before tamping on the 54mm basket, puck grooming seems to be generally a bad idea and WDT or shaking/tapping the pf horizontally seems to do more harm than good. I find after dosing just a few firm taps vertically against the table top seems to work the best or if I have any mounds of excess coffee (typically on the left hand side of the basket) I just use a straight finger against the basket to brush these grounds into areas of least coffee to allow me to follow up with a better tamp.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Anyone want to share their work flow and any techniques or anything that people have found help the DTP to reach its full potential? I find its much harder to get an even distribution before tamping on the 54mm basket, puck grooming seems to be generally a bad idea and WDT or shaking/tapping the pf horizontally seems to do more harm than good. I find after dosing just a few firm taps vertically against the table top seems to work the best or if I have any mounds of excess coffee (typically on the left hand side of the basket) I just use a straight finger against the basket to brush these grounds into areas of least coffee to allow me to follow up with a better tamp.

I'll try make a video later although my editing skills aren't up to much haha

@SkateReclaimCreate