IGNORED

Water filtration setup at home

Farravi

Thanks I'll need to try and get hold of some Epsom salts... boots markets them as bath salts?

Yeah, as long as it's pure magnesium sulphate you're all good. If you're going down this road, make sure you've got very very accurate scales that can read to 0.01g.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BB sell the C50 Fresh, which is for soft water areas. It removes nasties without changing the hardness. The link I gave was to the domestic version of the C50 Quell ST, which does reduce hardness.

My water is classified as 'slightly hard' by Yorkshire water with a 58.1 parts per litre of calcium.

Would you recommend I replace my cartridge with the quell st version Glenn?

No. Assuming that's in units of ppm (or mg/l) calcium carbonate equivalent - as it almost certainly is - your water is about the same hardness as volvic. I'll edit my post to say "softer" water areas.

Quality insight - thanks Glenn.

Makes sense why our kettle is hardly scaled at all after 18 months then

Thanks gents, absolutely fascinating this stuff, I am thinking of getting a under the sink setup most likely as my pad hasn't the space to make the DIY Hendon recipe, as it would have given the best results.

I do recall at the London Coffee Festival two years ago a company that had given me some literature and how they compared with their competitors Brita.

Yeah, as long as it's pure magnesium sulphate you're all good. If you're going down this road, make sure you've got very very accurate scales that can read to 0.01g.

Where do you get your distilled water from? Had a search online and it seems quite pricey in the long run buying the water?

Where do you get your distilled water from? Had a search online and it seems quite pricey in the long run buying the water?

I have a DIY shop near my house that sells 5l for £2.50 so go and buy 2 every so often and make a bucketload once in a while

Also, I would argue that there is no need to use distilled water if we're only worried about hardness. E.g. my water is from Milngavie - hardness is around 16ppm, almost negligible. I start with this, put it through a charcoal filter, and then add Ca and Mg as per Sodastream method to achieve water with 79ppm(CaCO3) of Ca and 34ppm(CaCO3) of Mg.

Also, I would argue that there is no need to use distilled water if we're only worried about hardness. E.g. my water is from Milngavie - hardness is around 16ppm, almost negligible. I start with this, put it through a charcoal filter, and then add Ca and Mg as per Sodastream method to achieve water with 79ppm(CaCO3) of Ca and 34ppm(CaCO3) of Mg.

That's good to know, I ordered a cheap TDS meter from eBay so will try to correlate the results when I get it. Just now I'm using a filter jug, contemplating whether to fit an undersink filter system in or if it is overkill if the water quality is generally good... If I was to do an undersink system I might add a remineralisation filter to add some back in...

I lucked out and moved into a flat with a built in undersink filter. I'm not sure there is anything out there that adequately re-mineralises enough for coffee. You know, once you've done the ground work it doesn't take much effort to make some using salts. I make 10L of brew water every couple of weeks or so and takes about 5 mins to do.

I used to always ask shops about their water - usually I'll be told its too impractical to do anything other than using filtered tap water. I think Back To Black still use their own re-mineralised water, though.

I held off getting that book for two reasons - there is supposed to be a 2nd edition coming out this year that corrects a systematic error that they made with their units, and I've been informed that I probably wouldn't learn anything more than I already know - apparently the book is not as in depth as you would think. But I was still keen to pick up a copy since it looks like a nice object to have.

Yeh I couldn't find much information on the actual contents of the book but was in a bit of a learning mood so just ordered it while watching loads of vids on how to do plumbing so I can redo my sink pipework to put a filter in later :)

Hummm always thought the water was hard here but if I am right these are very high?

Calcium: 151.6 mg/l (or parts per million)

Calcium Carbonate: 379 mg/l (or parts per million)

Am I right?

Hummm always thought the water was hard here but if I am right these are very high?

Calcium: 151.6 mg/l (or parts per million)

Calcium Carbonate: 379 mg/l (or parts per million)

Am I right?

Yes you are correct. Very hard.