dfk41

Coffee bag labelling

Am I right in thinking, that it is a food labelling requirement for coffee beans, to show the date they were roasted so that stock control can be effective and it allows the end user to decide when to drink the coffee.

I have just received beans from a well known company who simply have a best before date on the bag, which happened to be January 2018. I have contacted them of course

• Like 3

Am I right in thinking, that it is a food labelling requirement for coffee beans, to show the date they were roasted so that stock control can be effective and it allows the end user to decide when to drink the coffee.

I have just received beans from a well known company who simply have a best before date on the bag, which happened to be January 2018. I have contacted them of course

No you are not correct, there is no requirement for roast date information to be on the bag. I am surprised that any reputable speciality roaster would put a date of Jan 2018 on beans even if they were roasted today. This would mean that in their opinion even after 6-7 months post roast...it's all good. This is a best before date...which implies they are real good up until that point?? IMO a best before date after roasting would be 4 - 6 weeks and a use by date of 12 weeks.

I would imagine with so many roasteries springing up, that this will become less and less common....

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

No you are not correct, there is no requirement for roast date information to be on the bag. I am surprised that any reputable speciality roaster would put a date of Jan 2018 on beans even if they were roasted today. This would mean that in their opinion even after 6-7 months post roast...it's all good. This is a best before date...which implies they are real good up until that point?? IMO a best before date after roasting would be 4 - 6 weeks and a use by date of 12 weeks.

I would imagine with so many roasteries springing up, that this will become less and less common....

I have quite the back log of beans building up.

What storage method would you suggest to keep them good for those 12 weeks? That is longer than I would have thought.

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Tape up the one way valves and freeze them

Londinium L1 Luxe - Compak E10 - Macap M7 - Brita Aquaquell - Torr Trapez Tamper - IMS Shower screen - IMS & VST baskets

better still vacpac them and then freeze

Yuxo09y.jpg

It might be interesting to share the reply you get from this roaster (assuming they do reply!)

QUOTE=dfk41;508101]Am I right in thinking, that it is a food labelling requirement for coffee beans, to show the date they were roasted so that stock control can be effective and it allows the end user to decide when to drink the coffee.

Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon

Do you mind sharing who the roaster is? I understand if not.

Personally, I consider the roast date on the bag to be a requirement for purchasing.

Use by wouldn't apply to coffee - it's for food (and drink etc) not safe to consume after a certain period...

https://www.food.gov.uk/science/microbiology/use-by-and-best-before-dates

Same page on the best before, but perhaps just a "recommended consumed by" at 12 weeks

esto tambien pasara.

Reply from Roaster

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and I’m sorry you’re disappointed with your delivery.

Labelling law in the UK is a complex affair and whilst it is a common occurrence for a lot of roasters to state the roasting date it is not a requirement.

We label our 1kg bags with the roasting dates but after a lot of consideration and requests from retailers we now use a best by date on the 250g bags as this is preferred by the majority of customers.

We are a small batch hand roaster so I can tell you that the Ness Point was roasted on 28th June and the Bolts on the 29th June.

If you would still prefer to return the coffee then please let me know and I will arrange a refund.

Reply from me

Hi Deb, I seriously doubt that any coffee drinker would not want to know the date beans were roasted, compared to 100% of sellers wishing to hide the roasted date! On reflection, I will drink them but as a company, I do not see why if you are selling your own product for sale from your premises (assuming the order is not being fulfilled elsewhere) that you cannot whack a date on.

Many thanks

The roaster was Baytown......it sounds like they must sell mainly on Amazon and the like......no excuse in my humble....but I guess it shows that their target market is any idiot who will buy it

• Like 3

I have quite the back log of beans building up.

What storage method would you suggest to keep them good for those 12 weeks? That is longer than I would have thought.

People misunderstanding my post.

I consider coffee at it's best from 4-6 weeks. I see it steadily declining from 6-12 weeks after which I don't think it's great and personally would not use it. My best before dates and use by dates are not like the supermarket ones for food....only distantly related.

Labelling law in the UK is a complex affair and whilst it is a common occurrence for a lot of roasters to state the roasting date it is not a requirement.

We label our 1kg bags with the roasting dates but after a lot of consideration and requests from retailers we now use a best by date on the 250g bags as this is preferred by the majority of customers.

I must admit to being amazed at this response from The Baytown Coffee Company. They consider the retailers rather than the end customers. Retailers like best before dates 7 months hence, because they can sell the old crap well past it's best and never have to thrown it away. Their only consideration can be that putting the roast date on as well would alert customers to the fact the coffee may not be fresh when purchasing from retailers.....definitely worth thinking about before ordering from them.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

My post for 12 weeks was clutching at straws to be honest.

Overrun with beans and trying to convince myself it'll be alright.

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

My post for 12 weeks was clutching at straws to be honest.

Overrun with beans and trying to convince myself it'll be alright.

you'll have to grind finer, will get less crema, aroma and taste, but the coffee will still be ok..not excellent but most likely still better than average café :)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

An airtight canister with a one way valve to let the gases escape and light resistant as well, does the job nicely

It's 'best practice', not law, to put a 'best before' date on all foodstuffs. More of a grey area with coffee, especially roasted beans.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

The response from Baytown is pretty disappointing. Clearly there are commercial reasons for their decision but to say it's what customers want is surprising. But there's a lot of choice out there and buyer beware etc... I have a handful of favourite UK roasters I like to buy from in terms of their quality, customer service and ethos but unfortunately there are a lot more out there that don't measure up to those few...

The response from Baytown is pretty disappointing. Clearly there are commercial reasons for their decision but to say it's what customers want is surprising. But there's a lot of choice out there and buyer beware etc... I have a handful of favourite UK roasters I like to buy from in terms of their quality, customer service and ethos but unfortunately there are a lot more out there that don't measure up to those few...

Quite agree.......I will be cracking it open in a few days......lets see just how good it is

• Like 3

I associate Baytown with that fantastic Bootleg they shipped us for DSOL in the dim distant past. That seemed to get universal acclaim (unless it was just xSOL groupthink kicking in). I'm sure the coffee will be good, although I agree that it is a bit disappointing that they chose to 'hide' the RD behind an arbitrary BBE date for those who are buying from a reseller. Why not put both dates? Then those of us who stick to the '6 week rule' will be happy with the RD, and if other customers really need a BBE as a guide they have one to go by. I wonder if the resellers would be happy with that?

I had a similar discussion with my local café (who roast in-house for themselves and do retail bags in the shop). I said he should put a date on. He asked "but what date? When are they no good?" I suggested the date of roasting and let those who care judge for themselves, and those who don't can ignore it as it's a roast date and not an end date. I think I must not have been the only one because his retail bags are stamped now. He only sells in his own shop so nobody but the end consumer to please, and he could do stock rotation by cracking open a few kilo bags to fill his own K30s so there need not be any waste.

If your order was with the roaster direct, I'm fairly sure it will be fresh enough. Big online retailer with fast despatch promises maybe not so much.

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

As applying to all fresh and Good quality food stuffs ,traceability is the key .

And what a refreshing change for customer liaison ,Although Baytown did not produce the answer that you wanted or nay expected to hear, at least they replied with an honest answer .

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

As applying to all fresh and Good quality food stuffs ,traceability is the key .

And what a refreshing change for customer liaison ,Although Baytown did not produce the answer that you wanted or nay expected to hear, at least they replied with an honest answer .

You think so?

You really believe the majority of customers (not retailers) as stated prefer a best by date and not a roast date.

1. Who is asking these "customers"

2. That's not really how the world works when using the term Fresh (see below).

A quote from their website

We’re hell-bent on helping you enjoy the best quality coffee in a way that works for you. To make sure that happens, we source the highest quality beans, hand roast them and get them to you quickly so you enjoy the freshest, most delicious coffee possible.

Freshly roasted coffee, freshly baked bread, fresh cream cakes, fresh fish, fresh meat....how would you feel if these "freshly" products have a best before date of Jan 18 on them. You would wonder how they can last so long, when they were produced, what does fresh really mean? Is that bread still fresh in 3 months time. Or is your expectation of something made very recently, with a best before date of weeks, not months. now I know people can split hairs and say "well it was fresh when it was made"....but really there is an expectation. Whether their answer is honest or not, I think it's indefensible on a forum where we're talking about speciality grade coffee (and even there we often get short changed) and roasters...or should be. We should never buy coffee with no roasted date (roasted date not packed date) on it!

Edited by DavecUK

Which sums up my point exactly. You can have a fancy website with mission statements and all that crap.....but if you are trying to hoodwink those who know by selling stuff with no roast date on, whilst it might be acceptable to some customers, to me it says.......STAY AWAY!

• Like 3

I agree totally with you, DavecUK, and dfk41.

I can feel a rat coming on, sorry. There are too many uses of too many innapropriate words these days. It sets my teeth on edge! Truly/fresh/quality and all the rest of these valueless words are bandied about without a thought for how stupid they sound.

Quality bread (oh hang on, as opposed to what exactly?). Oh and 'hand roasted', you must have very hot hands is all I can say. Fresh Cream Cakes? No, give me the rancid ones please. And what's with 'gourmet' beans . . .

Rant over!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

....how would you feel if these "freshly" products have a best before date of Jan 18 on them.

We should never buy coffee with no roasted date (roasted date not packed date) on it!

Absolutely!

I'd love to start seeing more "made on" things etc on degradable produce. In fact, if shops put "killed on" dates on meat, I'd be more inclined to buy it from anywhere but a butcher.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

"Best before" is such a nebulous term. The spoilage rate of a food stuff depends on so many factors. I would prefer to see advice listed which helps people recognise when a food stuff has spoiled such as "Do not use if x, y and z".

You think so?

!

i didn't say I agreed with them and their policy .

i do however stand by my first statement that traceability is the key.

im sorry if I did not put my point across very well, the statement was more about their service and not their policy or beliefs . (English has never been my strong point and I am sure many members curse about my punctuation.

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

I wouldn't personally buy beans without a roast date on. Not since I joined this forum anyway :rolleyes: Before that I would drink any old stale rubbish as it was better than instant, and I thought I was getting something better.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..