eusty

Gene dimmer mod....my take on it!

I've been meaning to mod my Gene CBR-101 roaster for quite a while now, but as with most things I do getting started was the first challenge!

The next problem was that both the dimmer and power meter mentioned in the Coffee Time wiki are no longer available so I decided to do something different.

I found a power meter (ebay link) and decided to use a motor controller (ebay again). The controller says it's rated at 2000W, but as it's from ebay I'm dubious, but it handles 1250W OK.

Anyway it looks like..

WP_20170701_14_57_56_Rich.jpg

And inside

WP_20170701_14_13_46_Rich.jpg

The box is possibly on the large size, but it allows for greater heat dissipation than if it was crammed in a tiny box.

One thing I noticed when opening my Gene was that they seem to have changed the design from that in the Wiki, the heater connection is arrowed.

WP_20170701_14_28_22_Rich.jpg

Checking further the terminal labelled 'Ter4' was at the same potential as the neutral line, meaning the terminal marked 'Heater' is the heaters live connection (arrowed).

WP_20170701_14_29_29_Rich.jpg

I've tested it and it works OK, hopefully tomorrow I'll try roasting some beans in it :D

You should add an update to the Wiki

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I tried, but it told me' Guests and low-karma users are not allowed to publish links on this site.' As I just signed up I guess my karma must be low :(

I tried, but it told me' Guests and low-karma users are not allowed to publish links on this site.' As I just signed up I guess my karma must be low :(

Just join the site, then you can publish what you want.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I did join! It just won't let me post links (images) 🙁

Posted by Tapatalk

I've been meaning to mod my Gene CBR-101 roaster for quite a while now, but as with most things I do getting started was the first challenge!

The next problem was that both the dimmer and power meter mentioned in the Coffee Time wiki are no longer available so I decided to do something different.

I found a power meter (ebay link) and decided to use a motor controller (ebay again). The controller says it's rated at 2000W, but as it's from ebay I'm dubious, but it handles 1250W OK.

Anyway it looks like..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27620[/ATTACH]

And inside

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27621[/ATTACH]

The box is possibly on the large size, but it allows for greater heat dissipation than if it was crammed in a tiny box.

One thing I noticed when opening my Gene was that they seem to have changed the design from that in the Wiki, the heater connection is arrowed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27622[/ATTACH]

Checking further the terminal labelled 'Ter4' was at the same potential as the neutral line, meaning the terminal marked 'Heater' is the heaters live connection (arrowed).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27623[/ATTACH]

I've tested it and it works OK, hopefully tomorrow I'll try roasting some beans in it :D

I know it's been a while since this post, but could you let me know where you sourced the box and the on/off switch from? Do you have links? It looks impressive!

I am going to try this with a lightbulb first and if all good will move on to the Gene at some point. Looks like the dim mod is the thing to do, the more I read about this :-)

All from ebay!!

Box

Switch

Well worth doing as it gives you greater control.

Thank you so much! May I ask you, if it is not too much trouble, if you could draw the schematics of your circuit? I don't know much about electricity, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I did it without one to be honest, as it's my line of work.

The info I based it on is Here

Thanks! I'll figure it out. I've been reading that for the past 3 days. Electricity is not my forte, so I'll need to read up and ask the experts before I plug that in :-)

Thanks again!

I did it without one to be honest, as it's my line of work.

The info I based it on is Here

May I ask you what type of tool you have used to cut holes in the box? For example, to attach the switches and the energy meter?

Thanks!

May I ask you what type of tool you have used to cut holes in the box? For example, to attach the switches and the energy meter?

Thanks!

Actually I used a mini-jigsaw, as I happened to have one handy, and filed to suit. But if I didn't then I'd drill small holes around the edges then file it.

Actually I used a mini-jigsaw, as I happened to have one handy, and filed to suit. But if I didn't then I'd drill small holes around the edges then file it.

Do you think one of those drills that you buy from B&Q, battery powered, would do the trick? (As you can see, I haven't got the faintest idea...)

I think it would be cheaper if you got all the parts and then asked someone on the forum to do it for you,

the postage both ways would be a lot cheaper than buying the tools and then having to get even more boxes and also drilling holes in the dining room / kitchen table.

Subjectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to consciousness, agency, personhood, amount spent, reality and truth which has been defined by various sources.

I think it would be cheaper if you got all the parts and then asked someone on the forum to do it for you,

the postage both ways would be a lot cheaper than buying the tools and then having to get even more boxes and also drilling holes in the dining room / kitchen table.

I have the tools :-) - well, I do have a drill, I am just not sure if it can drill through though plastic well. :-)

All I need now is a crimping tool. :-)

Sounds like you're biting the bullet and going for it? :) If your drill can drill through metal, wood or brick then plastic wont be a problem, just dont drill too fast.

Sounds like you're biting the bullet and going for it? :) If your drill can drill through metal, wood or brick then plastic wont be a problem, just dont drill too fast.

I've got a few ideas that I want to improve on the the aforementioned design. I've ordered the bulk of the parts, I need to do some crash course in circuits and electricity and in basic building skills. :-)

So, my plan to start with is to build the circuit. Then I want to test with with a light bulb / lamp shade to prove the point, and after that will adapt it to use it to control a heating element on a cheap convection heater.

So, maybe we are looking into next year for the actual modification to the Gene itself, but as soon as I have this up and running on my lightbulb I'll share it the schematics of my circuit. The stakes and expectations are high. Let's hope I can deliver. :-)

Good to hear that you're going to take it slow with the modding.

I'm going to learn how to roast properly with the Gene Cafe before doing any mods, best not to run before I can walk and not over complicate things with new variables in the equation.

Need to master using the profiles in the excellent BB guide first and then work on my own profiles. Once I've taken it as far as I can then I will start modding. Eventually I want some sort of coffee profile automation with a PID or Raspberry Pi.

If you click the link to the thermocouple mod in my sig you'll see a link in the post #5 to my source which includes further modification to the gene to automate roasts using arduino and raspberry pi.

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Thanks Rob1, had a look, looks good and I will come back to this once I am ready to mod my gene.

----- THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS -----

----- PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW -----

Thanks to @eusty & @DavecUK, for inspiration, I have wired a circuit to control the temperature of the gene roaster. So far, I have not modified the Gene at all, but I have created the circuit and tested with a light, and I can confirm it works.

This is a photo of the circuit just on the table, for testing. I tried to use as little wire as possible as I don't want to waste any of my wires & cables. Anyhow, for anyone interested, I will draw the diagram of my circuit and post it here later.

The black cable is coming from the mains. The white cable is an extension lead where the lamp with a 40W light bulb is attached to.

The idea here is simple:

The brown wire coming from the light would be equivalent to the wire going to the heater on the Gene.

The brown wire coming the main is the "live" wire, and would be equivalent to the "heater" slot in the Gene PCB.

My circuit was entirely based on the material available here:

http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/gene-cafe-dimmer-control-mod-stage-1

Notice that I have added a meter directly attached to the wire coming from the mains. I checked the voltage with a multimeter and the voltage figures displayed in the meter matches the ones in the multimeter.

My next step would be to attach an electrical heater (more load) to this circuit.

EDIT: PICTURE REMOVED TO AVOID CONFUSION.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician and to be honest I am scared to death of electrocution. Inspired by this thread and the Gene heater dim mod article, I've been reading on how electricity and circuits work, trying to understand as much as I can before plugging it in. I drawn the circuit on paper many times and tested everything offline with a multimeter to make sure the current is going where it should be before I plugged this in.

Therefore, do so at your own risk and please please take extreme care and precautions before attempting this.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

You might want to check the dimmer wiring....

Although it's working with your bulb it's incorrect. The terminals you have linked are the neutral connection so they need to be connected, if you check the pcb they are actually connected together so you only need one neutral connection.

Looks good... but (theres always a but, lol)

Please rob a bit of your flex and replace the green/yellow that you have used as live, with the proper colour 'brown'.

Only use green/yellow as the protective earthing conductor

Only use blue for neutral

Only use brown for live

The logic is... one day in the future some one else, or even you when your brain gets old may be using or fault finding your creation and not be clever enough to work it out before assuming that things are as they should be.

But great work and well done.

Edited by DaveP

Subjectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to consciousness, agency, personhood, amount spent, reality and truth which has been defined by various sources.

You might want to check the dimmer wiring....

Although it's working with your bulb it's incorrect. The terminals you have linked are the neutral connection so they need to be connected, if you check the pcb they are actually connected together so you only need one neutral connection.

Thanks for this, appreciate the advice.

When I draw the diagram and post it here, would you mind taking a look and point out what's wrong and how it should be done instead?

I will edit the post and put a big writing at the top so people don't try to follow this up, at least not yet.