Finally got a full set up going now, Sage duo-temp pro and a second hand superjolly, but i'm having serious trouble dialling in and trying to get a decent cup. I've found a decent setting on the sj getting 18g in basket to 36g in cup in about 27 seconds but the drink tastes very 'woody', however when I try and go coarser, even adjusting the sj by a few mm the DTP takes about a minute to get 10g in the cup with extremely sour taste and get a vastly different result with a massively swollen soupy puck.

I've kept tamping technique, distribution technique and workflow pretty much constant throughout. I think the burrs on the SJ may be knackered as the previous owner never changed them in the year he owned the machine, i've got a new pair of burrs on the way but I still feel frustrated I cant get a single drinkable cup, surely even done in burrs shouldn't have such vastly different results at such small increments.

I've gone through a 250g bag at which I basically couldn't get a decent cup from and am now breaking into another 350g have stopped at the minute as i don't want to burn through that too! Anyone with any experience on the DTP or just anyone at all give me some advice as to what you think I might be doing wrong.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Tried a much coarser grind, although faster flow the resulting coffee was more drinkable. I then went a touch finer and slightly lost it again, went a fraction of a mm coarser and seem to have found the sweet spot.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

It is tricky with a new Grinder and bear in mind the coffee itself, roast profile, age etc is going to be a HUGE varaible in all of this. Sometimes a woody kind of taste and be if the coffee is very recently roasted and has not rested long enough...some are just a bit like this, I found that with CC mahogony.

Also bear in mind when you get those new burrs you are going to have to tame the tiger and it's going to take min 1kg of beans to get stability.

So maybe don't waste too much time and coffee on these old burrs.

It is tricky with a new Grinder and bear in mind the coffee itself, roast profile, age etc is going to be a HUGE varaible in all of this. Sometimes a woody kind of taste and be if the coffee is very recently roasted and has not rested long enough...some are just a bit like this, I found that with CC mahogony.

Also bear in mind when you get those new burrs you are going to have to tame the tiger and it's going to take min 1kg of beans to get stability.

So maybe don't waste too much time and coffee on these old burrs.

Thanks for the help, the coffee was recently roasted I'll take your advice and let it rest for a few more days.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Have you cleaned the SJ to make sure there is no rancid stale old coffee in it?

Yeah as soon as I got it I stripped n cleaned it well, hopefully the new burrs will give me better control.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Hey Rakesh,

as mentioned above definitely get some cheap (or somehow free) beans to season the new burrs. The mazzer mini I recently picked up hadn't been broken in and the first week or so was a struggle. Now I have a couple of kg through it's much better and getting good results.

LM Linea Mini, Mythos

Hey Rakesh,

as mentioned above definitely get some cheap (or somehow free) beans to season the new burrs. The mazzer mini I recently picked up hadn't been broken in and the first week or so was a struggle. Now I have a couple of kg through it's much better and getting good results.

I'll contact my local roastery and see if they have any stale beans I can relieve them off.

Beans>Grinders>Machines