Daren

LSOL July - North Star Coffee Roasters

I'm enjoying these massively brewed, yet to get them dialled in on espresso, they are very very lively still!

My origin guess is "a coffee producing country that isn't Ethiopia" (because I'm just so good at this bit!!)

Still stand by caramel, toffee notes bit sort of toffee apple ish.

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

My origin guess is "a coffee producing country that isn't Ethiopia" (because I'm just so good at this bit!!)

Way to play it safe! It is definitely a coffee producing country that isn't Ethiopia! Well Done :)

Epresso 2

17.4 > 40 37 seconds - more acidic than the first attempt, still clean but less juicy for me

Espresso 3

17.3 > 41 29 seconds - back to juicy and maybe a hint of stone fruit

I will have espresso 4 then throw caution to the wind and have a guess!

Vesuvius Dual Boiler / Ceado E37S / KvdW Shower Screen / VST Precision baskets / Torr Tamper / Motta Champion Milk Pitchers / Stretton Hills (Waitrose) Water /

espresso 18g=>40g 42sec Fruit berrys that had a honey sweetness to it, I ground a full notch finer on the Major

CCD 20g in a full CCD 40min steep strong backcurrant

both really nice, spro starting to calm down a bit now

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

these are getting better, today's chemex was the best yet.

will have a proper test of them tomorrow in a spro as well and report back

Yuxo09y.jpg

these are getting better, today's chemex was the best yet.

will have a proper test of them tomorrow in a spro as well and report back

Skype 'spro down?

Still tinkering with espresso but really enjoying it for the few brews I've had. Not sure on tasting notes yet cos I've only done a few careless french presses. Thinking berries, juicy, slight cinder toffee finish, nice acidity

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Ran this as a 'spro (destined for a flat white) today - only been through filter until now.

Probably cut the shot short based on others, but still tasty - getting berries/stone fruit.

Will have to try going longer and see what improvements are to be had.

Feels like it's been fairly forgiving so far - considering my sometimes less than precise efforts.

V60 - Sage DTP - Sette 270 - Feldgrind

Just run this through a CCD - 40min steep - lovely clean mouthfeel - loads of sweet acidity (lemons/cherries) - burnt caramel. Best extraction method for me so far - just shades espresso and way better than V60.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Just run this through a CCD - 40min steep - lovely clean mouthfeel - loads of sweet acidity (lemons/cherries) - burnt caramel. Best extraction method for me so far - just shades espresso and way better than V60.

What recipe did you use? (beans/water ratio)

Mr LSOL - February offering here -> Clicky <-

32grms - grind same as for V60 - 500grms water at 95c - left for 40mins in CCD before draw down. Use a cafetiere insulation wrap to keep the heat in - keeps the coffee surprisingly warm even after 40mins.

Should add - I use a Glaceau smart water/Volvic mix - 3:2.

I use Volvic and a tea cosy :) I normally go for 18/350 but will try your recipe for my morning coffee tomorrow!

I normally go for grind in after water as well.

First I would like to say a huge thank you to fatboyslim and North Star coffee for sorting out my missing coffee, my beans arrived today, I've just had my first flat white from them and I'm very impressed, super smooth, lots of sweetness and a very mellow natural funk shining through

I liked more as v60 than as espresso... because its to much acidity that I felt..

Few more days to play with...

Using Tapatalk

Just tried a flat white at 17.5g>30 over 32seconds inc a 5 second pre infusion and whilst sweet, also slightly dry suggesting needs to be a bit tighter on the grind. aftertaste reminds me of bergamot or more correctly earl or lady grey tea with that hint of orange oil / herby element to it, if that makes sense.

Sarah not a fan so may have to change my origin guess from a flippant Indonesian to an east African loosey goosey guess as she pretty much baulks at anything even close to a yirg these days (which she used to like and I couldn't stand to start with :) )

The filter at the moment was much better for me, suspect would make a lovely long steep cold brew.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 90Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

slightly tighter grind this morning and upped the dose: 18>30 in 34s inc a 5 sec pre-infusion made into a flat white.

Orangey sweetness, gone are the herby tones from last night but still a little dry after taste so will grind finer next time.

Had a straight espresso at same time same grind 18>30 in 38s inc 5s pre infusion (guess am tamping harder 2nd one, both ground at same time as 36.1g into the R120) orange there but sharper more like a kumquat slightly screw up your face sharpness definitely less sweet straight.

Still a fair amount of headspace in an 18g VST so might up the dose again later (Sarah still declaring not for her only had 1 sip :) )

Thanks all for arranging if not said already

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 90Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Is anyone else getting tomatoes after a long steep?

My goodness how this improves as the brew cools! Juicy!!!!

32grms - grind same as for V60 - 500grms water at 95c - left for 40mins in CCD before draw down. Use a cafetiere insulation wrap to keep the heat in - keeps the coffee surprisingly warm even after 40mins.
That recipe is spot on, lovely long steep CCD this morning.

This morning I had two brews of this.

Brew 1: Kalita + AP method. 21 g coffee to 350 ml water. 50 ml bloom then 75 ml every 30 seconds with a total draw down time of 3 mins ~35 seconds. I got juicy flavours of intense blackcurrant or blackberries with a red wine or currant acidity. (disclaimer: I don't drink wine much).

Brew 2: CCD. 21 g coffee to 350 ml water. No bloom, just all the water in at once. 40 min steep time. This was sweeter and less acidic with flavours of raspberries and caramel/toffee.

Both were different but enjoyable in their own way :)

Great espresso this morning. These beans are definitely in the espresso window now.

Extracted on the slightly cooler side and got plenty of those yummy flavours.

I didn't get tomato @PPapa but I might be able to see where you're coming from.

Few brews of this across different grinds, while it's been enjoyable I can say it's been spectacular, my opinion only though can see it an been very enjoyable for others. Getting hints of citrus and berry acidity some sweetness which leans towards caramel notes. Enough of these to make it a pleasant breed I haven't been able to get enough out of it to make it amazing.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Few brews of this across different grinds, while it's been enjoyable I can say it's been spectacular, much opinion only though can see it an been very enjoyable for others. Getting hints of citrus and berry acidity some sweetness which leans towards caramel notes. Enough of these to make it a pleasant breed I haven't been able to get enough out of it to make it amazing.

Should have signed up for a guest slot so you would have more to play with ;)

Should have signed up for a guest slot so you would have more to play with ;)
500g of any bean would bore me rigid.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc