Sign in to follow this  
Gobbosp

De scaling

Evening all,

I live in Yorkshire which is a soft water area, never any limescale on our kettle - do we still need to de scale or is this just for hard water areas ?

Cheers

Steve

Rocket Appartamento : Mignon Grinder MK2

Evening all,

I live in Yorkshire which is a soft water area, never any limescale on our kettle - do we still need to de scale or is this just for hard water areas ?

Cheers

Steve

Personally, I'd leave it alone.

I live down south and the water hardness is atrocious, so my machine has only been fed Tesco Ashbeck.

You could open the top of the mushroom in 6 months time and check. If there's scale, then you will need to descale.

I live down south and the water hardness is atrocious, so my machine has only been fed Tesco Ashbeck.

You could open the top of the mushroom in 6 months time and check. If there's scale, then you will need to descale.

Cheers i was thinking that

What di you mean by the mushroom?

http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/e61-group-servicing

If you look at the e61 group head, you can unscrew the big screw at the top, not the one at the very top which is smaller, but the one below that. You can then inspect it for scale.

This is what mine look like after 10 months and 18 months:

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?32554-Descaling-question-10-months-of-Tesco-s-Ashbeck-(Bottled-water)

http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/e61-group-servicing

If you look at the e61 group head, you can unscrew the big screw at the top, not the one at the very top which is smaller, but the one below that. You can then inspect it for scale.

This is what mine look like after 10 months and 18 months:

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?32554-Descaling-question-10-months-of-Tesco-s-Ashbeck-(Bottled-water)

Perfect thanks

Only Ashbeck's on my R58, but I have noticed limescale around the expansion outlet, so there must be some limescale in Ashbecks.

Rocket R58 V2, Mazzer Royal ( Ti Burrs ), 6 Cup Chemex, 6 Cup Venus Moka. Bonavita Drip Scales & Temp Controlled Goose Neck Kettle

Evening all,

Cheers

Steve

Its no big deal on a singe boiler / HX anyway. Dual boiler is a bit more tricky. If you use Dezcal its only Citric Acid and you can taste it if there is any in the system. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing you how to do it.

Rocket R58 V2, Mazzer Royal ( Ti Burrs ), 6 Cup Chemex, 6 Cup Venus Moka. Bonavita Drip Scales & Temp Controlled Goose Neck Kettle

Only Ashbeck's on my R58, but I have noticed limescale around the expansion outlet, so there must be some limescale in Ashbecks.

Oh, interesting, thanks. It's been two years for me, maybe I'll descale next year, just as preventative.

Oh, interesting, thanks. It's been two years for me, maybe I'll descale next year, just as preventative.

I believe its just over 2 years on the Rocket too, similiar condition on the group head. I had a call with BB and they said the same thing, limescale still builds up and will cause issues eventually.

I'm sure one reason they don't like you to do it, apart from the money aspect (:;) is boiling water and acid, which can sprayout when you are cleaning out the system. The citric acid used in Dezcal is not that strong if you mix it as recommeneded, 28g per Litre.