IGNORED

Hi from Toronto...soon from London!

So excited to have joined this forum. Saying hi, currently from Toronto, Canada, but relocating soon to London, UK. In the market for my first prosumer espresso machine, and have been reading on the immense amount of knowledge on the forums. :good::good:

So excited to have joined this forum. Saying hi, currently from Toronto, Canada, but relocating soon to London, UK. In the market for my first prosumer espresso machine, and have been reading on the immense amount of knowledge on the forums. :good::good:

Welcome mate,

As many othere have said we will help dispose you of your hard earned cash.

There is definitely a correlation between time spent here and budget allocated to coffee..

Have you got any particular machines in mind?

Best advice btw, do not skimp on grinder!

Hello and welcome to the forum. You'll find plenty of info on here...what kind of setup are you thinking of?

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome mate,

As many othere have said we will help dispose you of your hard earned cash.

There is definitely a correlation between time spent here and budget allocated to coffee..

Have you got any particular machines in mind?

Best advice btw, do not skimp on grinder!

Well said. My wallet is already feeling lighter than when I signed up on this forum earlier this morning. Initially I was looking at the Profitec 500 and a Compak K3. After speaking with BB and researching a bit more, I'm leaning more towards the ECM Mechanika IV Profi (love the levers for the steam and water.) Struggling a little bit with the grinder - everyone (incl BB) recommend going with a nicer grinder so I'm trying to convince myself to upgrade to the ECM Automatik 64 or a Compak E5. My only hesitation is that I'll likely only be in the UK for 3-4 years and am concerned about dropping GBP 2200+ on this set-up for such a short period of time (if I move back to North America, the voltage difference will cause me to sell.)

Well said. My wallet is already feeling lighter than when I signed up on this forum earlier this morning. Initially I was looking at the Profitec 500 and a Compak K3. After speaking with BB and researching a bit more, I'm leaning more towards the ECM Mechanika IV Profi (love the levers for the steam and water.) Struggling a little bit with the grinder - everyone (incl BB) recommend going with a nicer grinder so I'm trying to convince myself to upgrade to the ECM Automatik 64 or a Compak E5. My only hesitation is that I'll likely only be in the UK for 3-4 years and am concerned about dropping GBP 2200+ on this set-up for such a short period of time (if I move back to North America, the voltage difference will cause me to sell.)

Each budget is their own. Regardless of budget it is easy to get carried away. The K3 is a capable grinder, alternatively you can pick up some great 2nd hand deals on these forums as we all tend to look after our kit.

3-4 years is still a long time. If you're pining for an upgrade and love your coffee, buy what you can comfortably afford, enjoy the experience, and sell/upgrade as and when it seems sensible or becomes necessary. You may not move back after all, or then again you might in six months. Live for the moment. I certainly wouldn't want to wish I had bought a better machine for 4 years just because I might end up living in a place with a different voltage.

Maybe do some research into machines that might be dual voltage, or find out if your preferred machine of choice also produce for the american market and if so, what is the possibility and the cost of changing the part or components for the different voltage.

One good thing about buying quality equipment, in 3 to 4 years time it will still be worth a good chunk of money, and you will have no problem selling it on (especially on here!). Think of it as a very cheap lease.

• Like 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• 2 years later...

Electrical converters only convert so much at the sensibly priced level, and they don't do it well. Ones that convert it perfectly will be stupidly expensive. 

I strongly suggest picking up used gear from these forums for your stay here, then sell them off, again here, when you're readying to return to the delights of Canada.

Edited by allikat