Phobic

EK43 Gorilla Gear Burrs

First thoughts then..

My initial reaction was "Wtf, I can't pull the shots I was pulling with the old burrs at all" (15g -> 36g in 27s), everything is just pissing everywhere..

And then I remembered that when I first got my EK it was like that and actually my drifting towards the shorter and tighter shots was probably an indication of how ****ed my burrs actually were (Still getting 20.5-21% EY on most shots mind you, just gloopy)).

So back to the 18g baskets, 19g doses, every single 1:2.0 -> 1:2.5 shot tasted like ass - refrac told me that I was bumping 21-22% EY on every shot regardless of configuration and then I realised I was trying to make the wrong thing.

1:2.8-1:3 so long as I keep the shot times below 21s yields tasty coffee and the refrac tells me I'm 21-21.5% EY for most of those shots. It pours very tidily even on a naked portafilter and every change to the dial (or non-change) has been met with an appropriate reaction from the output yield/time which would lend creedence to that pre-seasoning claim they make.

Pulled a shot for my girlfriend this morning (19g to 55g in 20s @ 7.5TDS) and her reaction was "Wow, that's actually amazing" - she's not wrong, it's the sweetest coffee I've made in my own house (or tasted out of the house for that matter) in quite some time, it's not espresso - but I'm going to have to make peace with the fact once again that I'm using an EK43 and if I want gloopy-de-gloop I have to either play games (Drop temp by a heap I imagine) or get a grinder that's geared towards that kind of output, cos this level of sweetness is something else entirely.

So.. are they better than stock burrs? Shrug, no idea, they remind me of my stock burrs four years ago before they travelled the world and had all sorts of shite (including aluminium) shoved through them. They certainly grind fast though.

Tame Barista @ http://tamebaristas.com

Interesting, 3:1 ratio with 19g below 21s sounds gusher territory fast.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

T.

Longer ratios can be brewed quicker because you're putting so much more solvent through the puck.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

@robashton your 20 second shots are they at pull pressure on the sage or any pre infusion ?

PI @ 70%, OPV capped at 6bars. I can't comment on the health of that four year old Sage, it's been on its last legs for a year now.

T.

Very much gusher territory, while I can tighten up and do 1:2 if I'm using the 18g basket, I haven't yet made a shot with these burrs at anything less than 2.8x dose that remotely tastes acceptable - this somewhat falls in line with what I remember from my standard coffee burrs before I buggered them up beyond recognition - at least the pour itself is tidy.

Yet again - interesting :) it starts off like a fast shot so I was expecting the pour "cone" to grow massive, then quickly thin down, but it actually seems to flow ok, just a bit quick that's all.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

T.

I like to run very light filter roasts at those sorts of numbers. If you go for a "typical" ratio/time you often lose flavour separation.

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

Some of my favourite ever EK shots were those early 20-ish second 3x out gushers. Liquid gold.

This is a good example of how making espresso can be so frustrating - you can arrive at a similar EY in different ways and get very different results... a caution against the 'this is 21% so should be about right' mindset

Owning an EK is like “throw all the knowledge you know about espresso and try again”.

I recently had a mess up and got a 18g->62g shot in ~30 seconds. Damn tasty, surprisingly.

Some of my favourite ever EK shots were those early 20-ish second 3x out gushers. Liquid gold.

I wonder how long period this will last - and whether I moved away from these simply because my burrs got ****ed, or just had a few hundred kilos through them.

You're not rocking an EK at all any more are you?

I wonder how long period this will last - and whether I moved away from these simply because my burrs got ****ed, or just had a few hundred kilos through them.

You're not rocking an EK at all any more are you?

Yeah I still use it at home, my starting recipe is 20 in 50 out in 25-30 (and most stuff is good somewhere around there) but don't feel like i hit those 'wow' shots as much as before

I definitely think there is a correlation to the shots “dulling” as the burrs dull and optimally the super sweet best ek shots are in the sub 250 kg usage range

AKA Toffee chips