Phobic

EK43 Gorilla Gear Burrs

£550

The G4 refers to the 4 pre-breaking teeth that aids in breaking down the coffee faster and easier, allowing the finishing area of the burr to deal with smaller sections of coffee and reducing the force needed to grind the coffee.

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/gorilla-gear-ek43-black

someone go and buy them and report back :)

Yuxo09y.jpg

No one spending that amount on a set of burrs would ever report back that they were no good! Go on @Xpenno, spill the beans and make us all want some...

No one spending that amount on a set of burrs would ever report back that they were no good! Go on @Xpenno, spill the beans and make us all want some...

Still evaluating them. Great results so far but I'm always weary of the honeymoon period.

Main points at the mo are

Hitting taste notes on spro bang on

More perceived clarity (could be perceived as less complex) From John's comments I would presume that this comes from a more even grind

They grind super quick

There is defo less static but still some

It's easily possible to choke any basket and even stall the EK!

Grinding miles from zero for spro

Brewed range looks fine (was an initial concern)

Really hard to make bad tasting drinks

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

So they are more towards the Turkish burrs than the coffee burrs? Would struggle with coarse brewed grind?

great to hear the initial results.

the PDF has a laser refractometer results, interesting to compare to the previous particle distro analysis which I think was on the old Coffee Burrs from memory

EK43 vs. K30 vs. Anfim vs. Robur Size Graphs.jpg

Gorilla Burrs.jpg

note scales are different.

must resist buying them....

Yuxo09y.jpg

Id like to see 2 EKs next to each other , one with and one without. Both dialled in for a set dose/yield. Then do some sensory and TDS/EY analysis .

@garydyke1

Id like to see 2 EKs next to each other , one with and one without. Both dialled in for a set dose/yield. Then do some sensory and TDS/EY analysis .

Can you not make it happen? I'll attend.

My guess is that prebreaking must increase the amount of fines in the early stages which then in turn allows you to grind "coarser" ie further from the touch point.

Can't see why this would produce less static.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

I'd be game to join in on the side by side

Can't see why this would produce less static.

there's a magic coating

Yuxo09y.jpg

Well I guess we could make it happen .....

@garydyke1

When and where? I could potentially provide the coffee from the next LSOL.

We can't even find 15 mins to swap a couple of beers ;)

We can't even find 15 mins to swap a couple of beers ;)

Let me know if you manage to sort it. @Xpenno Have you tried the Hasbean LSOL offering? If not do you want me to drop a sample over?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Let me know if you manage to sort it. @Xpenno Have you tried the Hasbean LSOL offering? If not do you want me to drop a sample over?

I've not mate, always up for trying something new :)

I'll drop some over.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

As these burrs are black; is it going to make the whiteboard marker alignment trick harder? Or does it then become necessary to use a dial gauge etc? Any thoughts @Xpenno ?

Instagram = @unolonu

As these burrs are black; is it going to make the whiteboard marker alignment trick harder? Or does it then become necessary to use a dial gauge etc? Any thoughts @Xpenno ?

On their web page https://www.gorillagear.coffee/ek-43-black-g4 they recommend this tutorial

This is what i am curious...

Hardness - HV ( Vickers Pyramid Number )

Standard Steel Burrs - 800 HV

Gorilla Gear Black Burrs - 2,500 - 3,000 HV

Main advantage they mention is hardness of 2500-3000HV, and the Vickers table goes only up to 1220HV. And even 1220HV is almost impossible to achive. They say they are using high quality tooling-steel.

I was making some parts with Bohler K340 ISODUR, which is one of the best tool stell on the market and had to use Vacuum heat treatment technology to achieve around 62 rockwells which is around 800HV hardness.

Diamond is 10000HV, so it would mean that diamond is only 3,3 times harder than steel they are using, which also seems impossible.

Maybe i am wrong and i don't doubt quality of their burrs, but i don't like when people play with numbers wrongly like that and using it in advertising.

This tells me that probably their burrs are not that much better than the original ones even though they are trying to point that out so bad.

On their web page https://www.gorillagear.coffee/ek-43-black-g4 they recommend this tutorial

This is what i am curious...

Hardness - HV ( Vickers Pyramid Number )

Standard Steel Burrs - 800 HV

Gorilla Gear Black Burrs - 2,500 - 3,000 HV

Main advantage they mention is hardness of 2500-3000HV, and the Vickers table goes only up to 1220HV. And even 1220HV is almost impossible to achive. They say they are using high quality tooling-steel.

I was making some parts with Bohler K340 ISODUR, which is one of the best tool stell on the market and had to use Vacuum heat treatment technology to achieve around 62 rockwells which is around 800HV hardness.

Diamond is 10000HV, so it would mean that diamond is only 3,3 times harder than steel they are using, which also seems impossible.

Maybe i am wrong and i don't doubt quality of their burrs, but i don't like when people play with numbers wrongly like that and using it in advertising.

This tells me that probably their burrs are not that much better than the original ones even though they are trying to point that out so bad.

Thanks for the video post, however that's the whiteboard marker technique I was referring to, and already use for aligning my ek. If the burrs are black I think it's going to make this technique a fair bit trickier. I also wonder if the whiteboard pen would stick to the magic coating.

Instagram = @unolonu

It does make it harder yes.

It does make it harder yes.

But still achievable then I'm guessing.

I'm currently fighting the urge to buy a set, think I'll have to shift a few of my other grinders first though. Interested in hearing feedback first though.

Instagram = @unolonu

But still achievable then I'm guessing.

I'm currently fighting the urge to buy a set, think I'll have to shift a few of my other grinders first though. Interested in hearing feedback first though.

I have the titus alignment tool, it is problematic for the moving burr though although word on the street is that you can't align the moving burr without a lathe.

Is it available for hire?

Aligning with a large. Tell me more...

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

I have the titus alignment tool, it is problematic for the moving burr though although word on the street is that you can't align the moving burr without a lathe.

Will this alignment rabbit hole never end!!!! There's me thinking I'm sitting pretty with my pen, foil and torque wrench. As @dan1502 just said, I'm also keen to hire your gauge of you're up for it.

Instagram = @unolonu