Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Summit camp. I’ve realised my camera gear now weighs 1.6kg whereas base walking/camping gear without camera stuff totalled 7.7kg. Any point and shoot camera suggestions that cost less than Sony RX10

Was a bit nippy this Christmas/new year..

There are some stunning landscape shots on here so I though I’d share the photo I took of Pen Y Fan from the summit of Corn Du that I took during a walk to introduce my daughter to the joys of walking

Posted Images

On 02/10/2020 at 13:30, Marocchino said:

Like your composition, lovely picture.

Taken with?

Thank you.

Taken with Nikon Z6.

4 different exposure photos processed in Photomatix (HDR).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jedi oh said:

Taken with Nikon Z6.

4 different exposure photos processed in Photomatix (HDR).

Thanks!
In an earlier life I used to lug camera bodies and lenses around with me - in fact I’ve still got the ridges on my shoulders from the camera bag I used to lug about looking for pictures.

I really found it liberating getting out of that scene and just pointing my phone at something that interests me. I know it’s not even in the same universe as a DSLR, but it manages to scratch that itch for composing the odd snap.
Recently I was disposing of some old Nikon 35mm bodies and primes at my local camera shop and came within a whisker of walking out with a Z6, particularly as the lens converter could have been used with the prime lenses I was getting rid of,  but I’ve been so spoilt by the freedom of no kit I closed my wallet and left. 😀

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marocchino said:

Thanks!
In an earlier life I used to lug camera bodies and lenses around with me - in fact I’ve still got the ridges on my shoulders from the camera bag I used to lug about looking for pictures.

I really found it liberating getting out of that scene and just pointing my phone at something that interests me. I know it’s not even in the same universe as a DSLR, but it manages to scratch that itch for composing the odd snap.
Recently I was disposing of some old Nikon 35mm bodies and primes at my local camera shop and came within a whisker of walking out with a Z6, particularly as the lens converter could have been used with the prime lenses I was getting rid of,  but I’ve been so spoilt by the freedom of no kit I closed my wallet and left. 😀

Love my Z6, you would not have been disappointed. 

The best camera is the one you have with you. And phones these days can do a good job.

Enjoy it. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jedi oh said:

The best camera is the one you have with you. And phones these days can do a good job.

.... I find the mobile camera quite useful - the spontaneity can be very rewarding 😊  

 

17900FDC-A509-4BA7-B7AD-73DE3527C238.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a few pics taken on a Leica iiif I bought off fleabay. The camera looked immaculate but unfortunately the shutter curtains weren't right so I had to send it back since it was advertised as working. Really enjoyed using it, but having to squint though a peephole to focus & compose, especially when wearing specs was awkward and it appears the film wasn't straight inside. Got to love the old Barnack Leicas.. The lens was something else though, but suffers a bit with flare due to age. First time I've used film in years as well (Portra 400)

000019.thumb.JPG.e9d02433fb2b6bc52af7e61afebf00fa.JPG

Local shop in a small town we visited. Summitar 5cm f2.

000023.thumb.JPG.ad7f762dfc095eb802b20fad77c34849.JPG

'Last One Standing' 9cm Elmar f4. Shutter marks and wonky film.

000013.thumb.JPG.68829b6fc725ae02b1314ff36f1e8343.JPG

Getting ready to make kiełbasa.. 5cm Summitar f2

Camera has since gone back but still got the 9cm Elmar, fimder and adapter to put on my Fuji X-Pro2. Guess I'll have to save up for a Leica M now as I really need a bigger viewfinder.

  • Like 6

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

how things are looking here 😛

 

K52S0376-Pano.jpg

K52S0378-Pano.jpg

  • Like 8

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2020 at 21:24, Rhys said:

Here's a few pics taken on a Leica iiif I bought off fleabay.

Shame about the problems with the Barnack Leica, it has an amazing pedigree and place in the history of 35mm photography. 

My only nod to the classics was using a Rollei twin lens reflex for a few years - though that was about 40 years ago. I recall the viewfinder on it was very spectacle friendly and the picture quality was pretty good too, though the viewfinder image was upside down.
 

Edited by Marocchino
Link to post
Share on other sites



how things are looking here
 

Did the chap in the bottom picture ever catch anything do you know?
  • Haha 1

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2020 at 21:24, Rhys said:

Guess I'll have to save up for a Leica M now as I really need a bigger viewfinder.

The M9 body can be found for pretty reasonable  cost. You need to see evidence it has been in for the sensor repair, a known fault covered by Leica.

  • Like 3

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MinesAbeer said:


 

😁 Guess a couple of sheep, baa

  • Like 1

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

Link to post
Share on other sites

Digital photography is causing major upsets - look at the fate of Olympus. Move towards mirrorless systems is causing the big companies headaches and they are struggling to catch up. Will Leica go the same way as Kodak Eastman? Sensor design and innovation is key and something Sony have a stranglehold on. 

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Systemic Kid said:

Digital photography is causing major upsets - look at the fate of Olympus. Move towards mirrorless systems is causing the big companies headaches and they are struggling to catch up. Will Leica go the same way as Kodak Eastman? Sensor design and innovation is key and something Sony have a stranglehold on. 

Leica have been in financial trouble for years hence licensing the name for camera phone lens and Panasonic , none of which are made in Germany . 

  • Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leica digital technology is lagging further and further behind. Leica lenses are of the highest quality but hard to justify price-wise with top end offering from other manufacturers. With camera sales falling whilst R&D costs are rising, it's likely there will be more pain for camera manufacturers with others going the same way as Olympus. Whilst on the subject - who remembers Minolta? First company to bring out proper camera autofocus system whilst the likes of Canon could only offer one or two lenses with bulky built in autofocus motors. 

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2020 at 21:53, Stanic said:

how things are looking here 😛

 

K52S0376-Pano.jpg

K52S0378-Pano.jpg

Wow, that looks stunning man, beautiful pics/location :)

  • Thanks 1

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Leica Q produced wonderful pictures with a quality of their own. I still think you can tell a Leica picture until you process them. I'm also a big believer that MP is not everything, some of my best photo's at A3 are off my old D2H, a camera chastised for it's noise performance if you got it wrong (which is true).

Is the SL not right up there?

I eschewed digital in the end and have gone back to my phone + A Leica M5 film camera and my RolleiFlex F3.5 TLR with both waist level and prisms finders. I could look through the ground glass screen of the waist level all day and not take a picture its so beautiful.

I get them developed and scanned but I do have the MF from the RolleiFlex printed on photographic paper just because again the look is quite different, I love a pushed B&W film. 

Film and the experience of using the camera's, the challenge, like slow food. Most of my pics are taken with my phone. I guess its like vinyl. The pure quality of digital can't be beaten now, its amazing, better than my eyes but the look isn't always pleasing to my eye.

The depth of field on the Rolleiflex is tiny at F3.5, really quite the challenge with a ground glass.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, J_Fo said:

Wow, that looks stunning man, beautiful pics/location :)

Thanks, it is in Zakopane, Poland, with the background of the Tatra mountains 

  • Like 2

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chainlinephil said:

My Leica Q produced wonderful pictures with a quality of their own. I still think you can tell a Leica picture until you process them. I'm also a big believer that MP is not everything, some of my best photo's at A3 are off my old D2H, a camera chastised for it's noise performance if you got it wrong (which is true).

Is the SL not right up there?

I eschewed digital in the end and have gone back to my phone + A Leica M5 film camera and my RolleiFlex F3.5 TLR with both waist level and prisms finders. I could look through the ground glass screen of the waist level all day and not take a picture its so beautiful.

I get them developed and scanned but I do have the MF from the RolleiFlex printed on photographic paper just because again the look is quite different, I love a pushed B&W film. 

Film and the experience of using the camera's, the challenge, like slow food. Most of my pics are taken with my phone. I guess its like vinyl. The pure quality of digital can't be beaten now, its amazing, better than my eyes but the look isn't always pleasing to my eye.

The depth of field on the Rolleiflex is tiny at F3.5, really quite the challenge with a ground glass.

My carry camera is now a Fuji x100v , the jepgs are the best I’ve seen out of a camera .

i still have too many cameras, contact g2 , mamiya 7, couple of contact 35mm cameras with Zeiss lens . 
 

  • Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got myself a mirrorless camera earlier in the year, a Sony A6400,  still getting my head around it to be honest, it's quite a learning curve after my Canon EOS 60D ...

I got it more for filming than taking shots and the autofocus is really impressive.

What are the thoughts on mirrorless cameras in the photography community? Yay or nay??

 

 

  • Like 1

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J_Fo said:

I got myself a mirrorless camera earlier in the year, a Sony A6400,  still getting my head around it to be honest, it's quite a learning curve after my Canon EOS 60D ...

I got it more for filming than taking shots and the autofocus is really impressive.

What are the thoughts on mirrorless cameras in the photography community? Yay or nay??

 

 

The are tools , but like coffee , photo nerds can be quite zealous about their gear , you name a brand people get agitated about it . 
Any of the modern cameras should be able to take great photos , some have better worse rolling shutters , aufocus etc.

For me ( I have a Sony full frame too ) the ability to adapt vintage lens , and the autofocus of the Sony’s is really impressive. 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

The are tools , but like coffee , photo nerds can be quite zealous about their gear , you name a brand people get agitated about it . 
Any of the modern cameras should be able to take great photos , some have better worse rolling shutters , aufocus etc.

For me ( I have a Sony full frame too ) the ability to adapt vintage lens , and the autofocus of the Sony’s is really impressive. 

Ha, yeah, there's always that fan boi element whatever the hobby isn't there!

Glad that you're impressed by the auto focus as well, I like it as a layman but I know you're a keen photographer so it's good to hear.

Takes a bit of getting used to the smaller form factor as well, I'm thinking about getting one of the frames they do, the flip up screen is in a bit of a weird position so the frame helps to attach a mic in a more convenient place as well as giving you a bit more to grab onto!!

Ideally I would have kept the Canon as well but I did a trade in at a place called MPB to save a few quid ...

Would really recommend that place actually, got good service and a really good deal.

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have just bought a couple of Sony A7R iii for live streaming gigs. Good low light (the A7S is supposedly better for just video, but we thought that getting something that was excellent with stills is probably advisable). Auto focus and tracking is the business. Early days...only had them a couple of weeks, but impressed so far.

Edited by earthflattener
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, J_Fo said:

What are the thoughts on mirrorless cameras in the photography community? Yay or nay??

When digital first appeared - pros scoffed as did the serious amateurs. Didn't take that many years for analogue film cameras to all but disappear from mainstream use.

Going to be the same with mirrorless. When they came in - 35mm SLR buffs gave them a thumbs down. Now, mirrorless is the area of growth in terms of sales. Some important advantages - weight, bulk and electronic live image viewfinder which with each iteration has got better and better. Some full frame 35mm buffs will still argue advantages of non-mirrorless but the advantages are getting harder to justify as new mirrorless cameras hit the market.

And, as Boots points out - the ability to use heritage lenses which you can pick up really cheaply. Electronic viewfinder gives you ability to focus older non autofocus lenses surprisingly easy. 

  • Thanks 1

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J_Fo said:

I got myself a mirrorless camera earlier in the year, a Sony A6400,  still getting my head around it to be honest, it's quite a learning curve after my Canon EOS 60D ...

I got it more for filming than taking shots and the autofocus is really impressive.

What are the thoughts on mirrorless cameras in the photography community? Yay or nay??

 

 

yay, but I do love an optical viewfinder too. However latest digital are getting betterer and betterer

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

     

    coffee-subscription-mini.png

    Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

     

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     


×
×
  • Create New...