My wonderful new toy! Won't be able to have a properly play until the weekend but first impressions....I love it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27433[/ATTACH]

Sweet :)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Two pics I managed to snap earlier on the new camera. Very happy with it but I need a zoom lens!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27487[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27488[/ATTACH]

Looks good and two of my very favourite species :)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Two more, any constructive criticism welcome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27494[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27495[/ATTACH]

Are these jpegs straight out of camera or raw files ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Are these jpegs straight out of camera or raw files ?

These are jpegs for the sake of compatibility but I view the raw files on my PC. Got my camera set to take both.

Coffee drinking tip #2: Sniff your beans 👌

-- LSOL Announcements --

-- LSOL Subscription Sign-Up! --

These are jpegs for the sake of compatibility but I view the raw files on my PC. Got my camera set to take both.

Ok so are you doing any post processing ? If so using what ? Raw will give you more flexibility in shooting on low light and those situations where there are real challenges in balancing the highlights and shadows in exposure.

Instagram - rjw_inc

As for criticism, it would help to know what are you trying to achieve, what do you think is lacking or could be better? The pictures look good, no over- or underexposure, white balance is ok, surely you could process them more from raw..what software have you got? I use lightroom 6 FYI

Plus if you uploading directly onto here ( as opposed to a hosting site ) then the file size will be compressed to poo poo anyway . As Stanic said , exposure looks ok , what are you aiming for ?

Instagram - rjw_inc

Looking good :)

If you want a more interesting shot, try photoing the flower in the foreground on a wide angle, and get some sky and background - make the flower really stand out. Playing with angles is good fun ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

These are jpegs for the sake of compatibility but I view the raw files on my PC.

Viewing raw files on PC is not going to make much difference, since the software used to view them always has to apply some processing, raw files can't be viewed as such. The camera always saves its settings in metadata together with raw, usually read by proprietary or third party software and applied when viewing the raw files.

( @MildredM I've just been to the Karma café in Kraków ;) )

Edited by Stanic
Grammar

I'm currently using Faststone and Photoshop but I think Lightroom is what I actually need. A colleague at work, who is into photography, has given me some advice regarding workflow from taking a picture to editing things like contrast and blacks.

I've only had the camera a week and I've been mostly happy with the pictures I've taken but still huge room for improvement.

For sure the forum is compressing the image.

Here is a link to view the .rw2 raw file if anyone wants to view with no compression.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7gvN7Z3xFy2RXNzWS1lcEg0M3c

-- LSOL Announcements --

It looks really great :)

I have to admit I am lazy these days. I used to spend hours photoshopping photos to get the best out of them. These days I just tweet light/focus and colour in Photo.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Two more, any constructive criticism welcome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27494[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27495[/ATTACH]

With fruit I like to make that the focus of the image. Trying to find a decent example but a lot of my images from when I was doing more photography are on an old PC. An apple I took - don't like the leaf covering the apple but the shallow depth of field removes any distraction from the background

IMG_0089.jpg

a grinder a lever and some beans

Here is a link to view the .rw2 raw file if anyone wants to view with no compression.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7gvN7Z3xFy2RXNzWS1lcEg0M3c

I played a little with the raw you provided, for Lightroom it has to be converted to DNG format, I used the Adobe DNG converter, which is free.

I just set basic values and cropped to my liking:

P1020713.jpg

here is a before/after comparison of flower detail, showing how much detail the Lightroom was able to recover from the white part thanks to dynamic range of the sensor:

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 22.22.16.jpg

For editing, it is also very important to use a calibrated display, representing true colours and white balance - I use the Datacolor Spyder4 pro, very handy device.

In general, for flowers you want to get as close as possible to show some interesting details and to get a nice background blur:

K5IIs_LR3-0487.jpg

K52S4774.jpg

K52S4876.jpg

Getting invalid attachment message. I use Imgur and post the bbcode link

I had to edit the post a bit, was getting the attachment pic in there, which I didn't want to :)

Had a quick play in Photoshop with this one. Image is obviously being compressed by the forum.

e80704c0563f7ab637c7ff724e5ddb13.jpg

I think I want a f1.7 25mm lens for up-close nature!

Edited by fatboyslim

-- LSOL Announcements --

Had a quick play in Photoshop with this one. Image is obviously being compressed by the forum.

I owned the 1.4 Lecia 25 mm micro 4/3 lens and it is beast , great contrast , and can be got at good second hand prices .

If you want a lens for close up stuff though your gonna need something that does macro , the panasonic 30mm aint bad value, and can be a decent allrounder .

Ig you wanna go nuts the Leica 42.5 mm i think would b a great lens , though v expensive

Instagram - rjw_inc

If you want close up, Panasonic Leica 45mm is the go to lens. Sharp as a tack - good portrait lens too (90mm equivalent on full frame) and delivers full 1:1 macro.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I used to use macro extension tubes.

Might be worth looking into.

http://https://photographylife.com/what-is-an-extension-tube

I need more Bokeh!

Fair do's but it wont get you closer ..... more Bokeh , wider aperture , less of the subject actually in focus .

Instagram - rjw_inc

I used to use macro extension tubes.

Might be worth looking into.

http://https://photographylife.com/what-is-an-extension-tube

I took this using the Sony Xperia Z3 i bought off Ronsil through the forum, thought it wasnt too bad for a camera phone

jdnGzhG.jpg