I'm really struggling to choose a camera and I realise asking here may only muddle my mind further but at least I may learn some things.

Originally I was looking at Canon 1300D or Nikon D3300 DSLR cameras but my friend made the very good point that the best camera is the camera you have on you.

I'm unlikely to want to carry round even a small DSLR with me. These leans me towards compact digital which I know are hugely inferior.

Unfortunately budget isn't massive and something used off eBay is likely my main purchase avenue.

I'm very keen on the Lumix GX800 with interchangeable lens but actually the GX80 (much more expensive new) seems more obtainable used.

There's also the Sony A5000 and A5100 with interchangeable lens.

I like the idea of a compact digital with interchangeable lenses. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Budget is probably £350 max.

Thanks in advance.

Coffee drinking tip #2: Sniff your beans 👌

-- LSOL Announcements --

-- LSOL Subscription Sign-Up! --

Might be able to snatch a Micro 4/3 body with a small prime lens, such as Sigma 19mm, Lumix 20mm or similar. It was my go to for a long time (got Sigma 60mm which I was really pleased with even though it was just over £100 new). I only upgraded to E-M5 mk2 with 12-40mm F2.8 just because I wanted waterproofness, bigger body and better handling (more controls and it has viewfinder). I know @Mrboots2u has Panasonic M43, he might chime in with his suggestions and experiences.

Body wise, I am thinking of something like Olympus E-PL5/7. I know Oly E-PL5 has the same sensor as its bigger brother E-M5 (mk I as they were released at similar time).

It also depends on what you are going to use it for. I found landscapes and travel photography to be fine with aforementioned lens, but if you want wildlife... you'll need more zoom. Prime lens can be daunting in the beginning, but that's what people have been using longest and I started with one, so it was a bit more natural. Just like phone camera, really.

Talking of phones, I had to send my camera for a repair recently and I found my iPhone 6S plus to be more than adequate for snaps. Might be another consideration if you aren't going to print 20x30" photos like I've done before. So much easier to share photos and it's always with you.

The Lumix TZ90 would fit the bill. I have been very impressed with the results from ours LUMIX (the model before the 90) for a camera of that size/style/price. Easy to use, good lot of functions and modes, and it fits in a pocket.

Editing to add . . . We've also got an Olympus OM micro, plus a range if lenses. Rarely take it anywhere these days. The little LUMIX is just so handy by comparison.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

The Lumix TZ90 would fit the bill. I have been very impressed with the results from ours LUMIX (the model before the 90) for a camera of that size/style/price. Easy to use, good lot of functions and modes, and it fits in a pocket.

Editing to add . . . We've also got an Olympus OM micro, plus a range if lenses. Rarely take it anywhere these days. The little LUMIX is just so handy by comparison.

TZ90 does look super compact with great reviews but I quite fancy good low light performance that would be found from the larger lenses of GX800 etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

-- LSOL Announcements --

high quality small mirroles with APS-C sensor and interchangeable lens - Fujifilm X-T1/2

high quality small mirroles with APS-C sensor and fixed lens - Ricoh GR II or Fujifilm X100/Pro line

best price/value 'fullframe' - Pentax K1, but it is large with lenses

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

At your budget it's going to be a compromise . If you want equivalent lowlight of of a full far then you'll need good prime lens with a wide aperture- new these can be as expensive as the budget for your camera ) . But at £350 your unlikely to get the same low light performance on a crop sensor camera on that budget ( some of the Sony crop sensors are great at low light but are outside you budget ) .

I had a Panasonic gx8 for a while and it's a great compact camera ( not without its faults though ) - and all rounder . If you are stills focussed and video isn't important to you then a second hand Olympus could be a good buy, the 4 axis stabilisation on these is meant to be leader it's its class.

I am it massively up on camera gear though so am sure there will be better recommendations than mine.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I have about 8 used digital cameras on my eBay watch list right now! I know it's an entry level model but I'm leaning towards the gx800. Can always buy lenses for it and upgrade the body later on.

-- LSOL Announcements --

Think your mate gave you sound advice. I had a Nikon D5100 and it took awesome pictures, probably some of the best we have if the kids do but it is anything but compact.

ECM Elektronika Profi II/ Fiorenzato F83/ VST

Hi.

Very good advice, on the best camera is the one you have on you.

But then most people have a mobile phone with inbuilt camera these days. Wont that suffice for that category? Why carry 2 different low/mid quality cameras with restrictions?

It all depends what you personally want out of a camera.

My girlfriend wants something a bit better than her phone with more memory that will fit in her handbag. So I'm looking for something for her.

For me, I was frustrated by slow focusing, time delays between pressing shutter and taking picture, and poor picture quality so moved to dslr, where I then enjoyed the hobby of learning the technicalities. If any of these parameters strike a chord then how about this...

WEX is a company I've used for many years and is reputable. They offer a range of second hand cameras - crucially backed by a good guarantee.

D80 - £93 used (solid camera)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/nikon-d80-digital-slr-camera-body-used-1627455/

50mm f1.8 - £119 new (fast at capturing fast kids. great low light, tiny size.)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/nikon-50mm-f18-d-af-lens-12869/

sun sniper - £25 (no more sore neck/back, steel cable for thieves, sling keeps your hands free when not in use)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/sun-sniper-strap-the-traveler-steel-and-bear-1572809/

So for £237, you could have an excellent dslr system that would allow you to see if its for you and take great quality pictures in the process.

La Pavoni Europiccola Millenium - Porlex mini - Eureka Mignon Mk2

Hi.

Very good advice, on the best camera is the one you have on you.

But then most people have a mobile phone with inbuilt camera these days. Wont that suffice for that category? Why carry 2 different low/mid quality cameras with restrictions?

It all depends what you personally want out of a camera.

My girlfriend wants something a bit better than her phone with more memory that will fit in her handbag. So I'm looking for something for her.

For me, I was frustrated by slow focusing, time delays between pressing shutter and taking picture, and poor picture quality so moved to dslr, where I then enjoyed the hobby of learning the technicalities. If any of these parameters strike a chord then how about this...

WEX is a company I've used for many years and is reputable. They offer a range of second hand cameras - crucially backed by a good guarantee.

D80 - £93 used (solid camera)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/nikon-d80-digital-slr-camera-body-used-1627455/

50mm f1.8 - £119 new (fast at capturing fast kids. great low light, tiny size.)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/nikon-50mm-f18-d-af-lens-12869/

sun sniper - £25 (no more sore neck/back, steel cable for thieves, sling keeps your hands free when not in use)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/sun-sniper-strap-the-traveler-steel-and-bear-1572809/

So for £237, you could have an excellent dslr system that would allow you to see if its for you and take great quality pictures in the process.

Thanks for that. I've tried out Canon 60Ds and Nikon D3300 previously and I'm almost certain DSLR is too bulky for me. Maybe I will upgrade to one in the future.

Like your girlfriend I'm wanting a camera substantially better than my phone.

Pending confirmation I've agreed on a price for a used but immaculate Lumix GX80 at a great price, still with warranty at John Lewis.

If/when I want to upgrade I don't think I would lose much selling it on to fund a DSLR.

-- LSOL Announcements --

MrsD plumped for the Lumix GX80 - and she is pretty happy with it.... fits in her handbag, goes everywhere and takes good photos...

I can't use it!! It is far too small for my bear like paws :-( - Seriously it is bloody awful!!!

So bad that I had to go and get myself a Nikon B700............

Which is a much better size - it feels good in the hand... it has a ridiculous zoom...

It takes really good photos.... but it doesn't fit in a handbag and could even be called bulky....

In fact it could be argued that it takes up as much space as a full DSLR without being as good.....

I wouldn't recommend it for "snaps" but telephoto is awesome, macro is decent..... probably sneered at by proper photographers but hey ho.....

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

MrsD plumped for the Lumix GX80 - and she is pretty happy with it.... fits in her handbag, goes everywhere and takes good photos...

I can't use it!! It is far too small for my bear like paws :-( - Seriously it is bloody awful!!!

So bad that I had to go and get myself a Nikon B700............

Which is a much better size - it feels good in the hand... it has a ridiculous zoom...

It takes really good photos.... but it doesn't fit in a handbag and could even be called bulky....

In fact it could be argued that it takes up as much space as a full DSLR without being as good.....

I wouldn't recommend it for "snaps" but telephoto is awesome, macro is decent..... probably sneered at by proper photographers but hey ho.....

A camera that fits in my handbag is a key inclusion criteria!

-- LSOL Announcements --

A camera that fits in my handbag is a key inclusion criteria!

gx80 should do you fine

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

gx80 should do you fine

just for info, in some markets it is sold as GX85

has got a favourable review here

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Is there still a market for what I know as Bridge cameras?

I bought my eos 5 and am still happy with it (old as the hills now but full frame sensor even at a lowly 12Mp still does me fine) but I got a little Fuji for those times when we just need a smaller snap taker

Is there still a market for what I know as Bridge cameras?

I bought my eos 5 and am still happy with it (old as the hills now but full frame sensor even at a lowly 12Mp still does me fine) but I got a little Fuji for those times when we just need a smaller snap taker

there is but the ever-improving smartphone cameras are really biting off of the whole cake...

there is but the ever-improving smartphone cameras are really biting off of the whole cake...

Yes, the camera on my Nexus 5x is pretty good but it struggles with difficult focusing and in varied or low light situations. Also macro focus is poor.

The gx80 can do 4K video which is quite exciting. Expect some 4K brew video at some point.

-- LSOL Announcements --

It's rare I take my DSLR out and when I do I need to take Ian along to lug it plus some lenses. It's too heavy/bulky for me altogether really! Unless you want a 'serious' camera then my opinion would be to go with the Lumix.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

If you take action shots, shoot in low light or are into landscape photography then get a good dslr from Canon or Nikon because they have the largest choice of great lenses especially second hand. For anything else you can take great shots on the latest iPhones.

I went from a Nikon D80 (not a great camera) to a D300, which was good but very heavy and bulky. After a couple of trips with that and lenses, flash etc. I traded it all for an Olympus E-M5 micro four thirds system.

The two major revelations were (a) that I could pack the full kit in less than half the size/weight of the Nikon kit, and (b) the low light images with the prime lenses (45mm and 20mm). No, it's not quite as good for action & sports, but there's no way I'd go back...

The gx80 looks like a good bet - start with that, add some lenses, and then there are a wide variety of body upgrades if/when you want them.

Gaggia Classic, RR55od, Aeropress, Rhino hand grinder, cold brewer...

Saxophones, clarinets, cameras & a lot of PCs

Just been taking pics around the garden with my (now ancient) Canon 350D. Made a right mess of the first photos and had to go back to basics and take them again - took it off idiot mode, dropped to ISO 100, slowed the shutter speed, set to daylight etc and got some reasonable shots. Then got to thinking - its big, bulky, takes good photos when correctly set up but what a palaver !

Next time it will be with Mrs WDs Lumix which takes decent photos without the bulk and faff but still has all of the settings available on my DSLR, should I wish to play about. The only benefit of the DSLR is having a proper viewfinder, rather than a display which can get blasted out in strong sun.

a grinder a lever and some beans

It's the equivalent of having a bean to cup machine, makes decent drink with a lot less faff but if you really know what you're doing you'll get much better results with a high end machine and grinder.

The best camera is the one you have on you. Carrying a DSLR and numerous lenses is a labour of love for the amateur like me.

Edited by Nopapercup

Yes, the camera on my Nexus 5x is pretty good but it struggles with difficult focusing and in varied or low light situations. Also macro focus is poor.

The gx80 can do 4K video which is quite exciting. Expect some 4K brew video at some point.

Most lenses will struggle with macro focusing as well.