onluxtex

EK 43 alignment grinding chamber

Yes, the front and rear casing. I didn't notice any markings but mine is a 2008 model. I lined them up by inserting some rods that were wider than the threaded rods before inserting the threaded rods but I might check it again if I try this burr alignment technique. I had a look at the alignment tool you can buy too but it looks like it only aligns the rear burr. Is that correct?

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

Yes, the front and rear casing. I didn't notice any markings but mine is a 2008 model. I lined them up by inserting some rods that were wider than the threaded rods before inserting the threaded rods but I might check it again if I try this burr alignment technique. I had a look at the alignment tool you can buy too but it looks like it only aligns the rear burr. Is that correct?

yes, that is correct.

The front burr you can align with the tool mentioned on the fotos below. You move the burrs from fine to more fine and turn them till the thinnest blade fits between the burrs. You still must be possible to turn the burrs by hand.

Sorry I cant explain it better in english. Hope the pictures can do.

28880749qh.jpg

28880558fb.jpg

Does anybody know where to get it and how much it`s cost?

Staying the obvious . Ask mahlkonig

They are petty good on Twitter / Instagram . May not even bit out yet as that looks like a pic from a trade show.

Given they have not given it a price yet or replied to some of the questions on Instagram then I would say it is as of yet not available .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I believe it is like that. I have ask MK in Germany, no answer.....

There you go then

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Another link about alignment and taste:

grinder

The alignment of the burrs was not measured. Whilst it is "likely" the grinder they used had the best alignment, this was not confirmed.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

bit of an interim update from me, I was out most of sat and then we had a power cut on Sunday so not had chance to sample as much as I would have liked.

however the few cups I've had have been bloody impressive, I need to re-dial in as expected, it's already clear though that there's a lot more clarity & sweetness.

Spro grind is crazy fluffy, easily had 1 of my best pulls to date this morning.

I'm a bit confused by the couple of V60s I've had, ext % has dropped at the same grind setting though it tasted so much better, not sure if my original notes were wrong or if I still need to find the sweet spot, may need to go much coarser, will try out some more tomorrow.

Yuxo09y.jpg

Has anyone seen this alignment video?

Curious as to what is happening here, can't really work out what he's doing. The result at the end *sounds* amazing.

Looks like a recipe for 'how to' knacker a set of burrs and/or shear/strip a set of retaining bolts.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

it's the method described in the german forum just used sound instead of gap tool.

https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/erfahrungsaustausch-ek43.81357/page-32

would be good to undertand the torque tollerances before pushing too hard, personally I'd do it with the gap tool 1st.

Yuxo09y.jpg

Here you go , you'll have to excuse his accent though , I think he is an Ozzie.

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Here you go , you'll have to excuse his accent though , I think he is an Ozzie.

Do you think he hurt his finger on the burrs? (See blue plaster). The perils of burr alignment!

I've really struggled with the marker method, find it a bit hit and miss!

I can see the feeler gauge has merit but the changes you can get by tightening the bolts are going to be limited, from what I've measured on mine the tollerances on the case are more than I'd be comfortable tighening/loosening the bolts.

Titus gauge has worked very well for me, I'm at ~50microns, going to give it 1 more go this week to see if I can get it even better.

Yuxo09y.jpg

I can see the feeler gauge has merit but the changes you can get by tightening the bolts are going to be limited, from what I've measured on mine the tollerances on the case are more than I'd be comfortable tighening/loosening the bolts.

Titus gauge has worked very well for me, I'm at ~50microns, going to give it 1 more go this week to see if I can get it even better.

50 microns is pretty impressive, however at this level I advise a torque wrench if you haven't used one already. The wrench should be used to tighten the burrs down as well as the face plate. Last night I did an alignment check with whiteboard pen and found that one of the burr bolts not being torqued the same as the other two resulted in missallignment. Also inconsistent tightening of the faceplate bolts will effect results.

Instagram = @unolonu

Looks like a recipe for 'how to' knacker a set of burrs and/or shear/strip a set of retaining bolts.

The standard bolts are very soft and covered in paint. I replaced all mine with marine grade stainless. Once I've digested all the information on alignment, am in a sufficiently calm and patient mood and have a free weekend I shall have a go at mine......if that ever happens :-)

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

When you're well and truly happy with your alignment I could send you a bit of monies to borrow your tool? I'll cover £7 DPD each way for your peace of mind. Insured up to £200 I think.

When you're well and truly happy with your alignment I could send you a bit of monies to borrow your tool? I'll cover £7 DPD each way for your peace of mind. Insured up to £200 I think.

What he said

Instagram = @unolonu

the stationary burr screws will marginally alter the alignment by ~50 microns but that's not really enough, and they're pretty soft as well, could do with replacing with something better really particularly when you're going back and forth shimming.

there are 100 micron shims, so I really need to put those in and back off slightly with the screws and I think I'll have it bang on. There's just 2 spots left on the rotation that's out 50 microns, however it's a ball ache to get it right even with the tool it's a bit hit and miss.

will give a go this weekend if I get chance and then more than happy to loan it out, you can make a donation to charity to say thanks ;)

Edited by Phobic
decided to use english in place of the swahili words

Yuxo09y.jpg

shimming of the rotating burr, interesting

socraticcoffee19:24 Sydney time...We are constantly aiming for burr-fection! For instance here we are using same thickness shimming materials (thick enough) or you can use thickness gauge which you could buy on eBay and place them in front of each screw before you tighten the moving burr of your EK-43 #radial

Yuxo09y.jpg

Hi, I'm new here. I am from Germany, the mother country of Mahlkonig. I have experiences with EK43 alignment since more than one year.

Here are my implications:

I prefer to adjust the fixed grinding disc to the bottom of the grinding chamber by cutting in or sanding in the disc into the chamber bottom. What's that, a quite terrible method to destroy your EK43 and to grind better coffee.

Here is my fantastic method to rebuild you EK43 to a sander.

You need not much ability, but some bravery.

With 25 mm M5 countersunk screws, both grinding disks are screwed in a double pack onto the grinding disk carrier. Beforehand, the 240slip paper is glued to the back of the fixed disc with spray adhesive und the holes of the fix disc have to be enwrapped for fitting to the srews.

Grinding is carried out manually after the 7x18mm distance bush is removed from the shaft. For sanding you need cutting oil. Grinding allows an alignment of the fix grinding disc to below 5 μm.

29860428lu.jpg

29860429hj.jpg

29860430on.jpg

29860431pt.jpg

Demonstration video by using mahlkonig guatemala:

You habe to repeat this procedure 6 to 8 times.

Greeting

Juergen

Edited by jupe2.0

For me, I did it in the same way he described. It works 100% and saves a lot of time.

Instead of using the M5x25srews you can fix the first one with the normal screw to the burr carrier and fix the second burr with Tesa-tape around the first and second burr..

It is the better way. Not my idea, it is also from Jurgen/jupe.

Edited by onluxtex
mistake in grammar