onluxtex

EK 43 alignment grinding chamber

Acc. to the German Coffee Forum a lot of EK owners complain that the EK is not well adjusted ex works.

Did anybody do it in this way?28870960hp.jpg

I've done this on my Guatemala which is very similar to the EK. If you need tips or help let me know :)

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

Thanks a lot. I was working on it for some hours and was sure I have done it well. People say acc. to the sound it is not well done.

May be I didn´t fasten the threaded rods too much or not too much so that the chamber has changed its position during grinding.

I don´t know what to do. I fear to spoil the thread if I fasten too much. I have no idea in loosen the chamber to start again from the beginning.

can you explain in a bit more detail what you're doing here?

I think most people are familiar with aligning using shims, but are you trying to alter the internals of the motor? or getting a measurement of how much to shim?

i is a bit confusing

Yuxo09y.jpg

People say the alignment of the burrs is not enough. More important is the chamber!? They adjust the chamber by loosing or tightening the 4 threaded rods.

What is their explanation for the importance of the chamber which, it seems to me, is not involved in the grinding process only in the delivery of the ground coffee.

Not having seen an EK at close quarters I imagine that by adjusting the chamber to be precisely perpendicular (90 deg) to the shaft / spindle would obviate the need for packing the fixed burr and possibly improve balance O/A ?

Sorry I don´t know. There are some people in the German Forum who discuss without open end about 0,1g of beans or 0,001mm alignment and even claim that they taste a difference. They even don´t accept the alignment method of Matt Perger with the felt pen. They prefer a gauge like shown in the above foto. It is no more my world. I can only taste a difference between beer and wine.

Not having seen an EK at close quarters I imagine that by adjusting the chamber to be precisely perpendicular (90 deg) to the shaft / spindle would obviate the need for packing the fixed burr and possibly improve balance O/A ?

yes, that is the reason.

ok I can buy the explination, certainly would love an alignment solution that's a bit more scientific and easier to achieve, I always find the shimming to be a bit of a pain.

just had a look at the thread and can't understand what's being adjusted though, there's reference to the cap nuts being loosened/tightened.

are these the 3 nuts that you can see in the photo's?

Yuxo09y.jpg

Can't personally see the point of moving the chamber around, it plays no part in the grinidng process. I've not read through the thread though so bear with:)

T.

ok I can buy the explination, certainly would love an alignment solution that's a bit more scientific and easier to achieve, I always find the shimming to be a bit of a pain.

just had a look at the thread and can't understand what's being adjusted though, there's reference to the cap nuts being loosened/tightened.

are these the 3 nuts that you can see in the photo's?

No, at the front and back there are four cap nuts. They are connected with threaded rods.

Right, scratch my above reply, it does make some sense as the "bottom" burr sits on the chassis effectively. The shaft needs to be smack in the center, otherwise the burrs will not run true, but what you need to keep in mind is that the burr mounting holes have some slack, so assuming your EK is not completely off, you should be able to simply move the "bottom" burr around and lock it in place when the DTI shows 0 error.

T.

From my reading of the article they are not centering the fixed burr support/ chamber but rather adjusting its angle / tilt to bring it perpendicular to the shaft / motor. Hence the rotating of the burrs and use of feeler gauges through the coffee exit chute to check for parallel between the burr's after adjustment.

Reading further in the article they imply that it is a similar set up in the Ceado ?

They do both, first the chamber, than the fixed burr and than the rotating burr.

Surely it's much easier to stick shims under the burr to get it perpendicular to the shaft axis of rotation?

T.

IMO this makes a difference, and Malkonig have ignored it, then what a pile of tosh their R&D dept is.

i prefer to think it makes no difference, they know that, and some joker is having you all on....

Ghe sboro fioi!

IMO this makes a difference, and Malkonig have ignored it, then what a pile of tosh their R&D dept is.

i prefer to think it makes no difference, they know that, and some joker is having you all on....

yes, Mahlkonig ignores some crazy people like us. The EK owners from shops and bars don´t care. Mahlkonig knows that.

It will make a difference, although I can't see why sticking aluminium foil under the stationary burr isn't the prefered solution here. The whole DTI way of checking alignment is a good idea and I'd recommend it much more than felt pens and feeler gauges.

Mahl doesn't give a crap as they know they can sell their grinders regardless. Same reason why so little changed in grinders over the years, R&D costs money, and lots of it, so they go down the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" route.

T.

I will probably look into this a bit further. Maybe my wife can translate some of the thread discussions for me. What I did find when reassembling mine was that if you don't align the plates the motor can actually catch and not spin freely and that the threaded rods don't fill the holes in the motor housing so there is quite a bit of room for rotation of the front plate relative to the rear though I don't know what effect that would have on alignment, more on smooth running I think. Are they talking about relative torque of each bolt? What exactly are they adjusting particularly in relation to the front housing?

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

What exactly are they adjusting particularly in relation to the front housing?

It is about 0,08mm. It takes a lot of time to get the chamber by fastening/loosing the rods all around to 0,00mm.

I did it. But I did not taste any difference as some people say.

What I did find when reassembling mine was that if you don't align the plates the motor can actually catch and not spin freely and that the threaded rods don't fill the holes in the motor housing so there is quite a bit of room for rotation of the front plate relative to the rear though I don't know what effect that would have on alignment, more on smooth running I think. Are they talking about relative torque of each bolt??

What do you mean by "plates"? The grinding chamber and rear cover? I believe mine had small markings for the alignment.