igm45

10mm 12 roaster challenge

This will be a useful tool for me to track my progress as my skills develop and my tastes develop further.

Please keep my newness to this level of coffee in mind as you read my feeble incoherant descriptions of tastes. I mainly drink espresso ratio 1:2 no milk/water usually.

A bit late to this challenge/forum so will quickly bring you all up to speed:

Machine purchased April.

1 - April, start with Union Revelation blend. Purchased from Ocado so not freshly roasted. Excitement of new coffee machine made me think these beans were amazing. With hindsight, these are drinkable and a good "oh shoot, I've run out of beans option".

2nd April pack. Purchased 'coffee of the month' from Smell the coffee. This was Brazilian Minas Gerais. No roast date on the pack and not fantastic tbh (by that read stale and horrible)

3 - Next up Django coffee, Acevedo SO beans. As is well documented on here I was having extaction issues (operator error) at this stage.

When I did get this one right the citrus notes with a sweet finish, this bean was lovely I have a subscription so look forward to ordering again now that I have made good progress.

4 - Next up Rave signature blend, also happens to be the time I had my revelation with naked pf so home extracted coffee changed overnight..

This is a much darker blend than the Acevedo beans and thus different flavours, working my way through 1 kg bag getting 18 in 36 out in 31 seconds. Im getting more chocolate flavour than citrus in that ratio. Also ordered Rwanda Buf SO but yet to try it.

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

It's obvious how far you've come already! Well done!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

June

Roaster 5.

Redber coffee. Uganda Bukonzo.

Tasting notes:

Sweet fruity coffee

Hints of rasberries

Medium body with clear, bright acidity.

First thing I noted is how easy it is to bring the sweetness out in this coffee.

Sweetness, followed by a touch of acidity, not overpowering though.

I don't get raspberry, maybe more towards cherry.

Enjoying at 18 in 36 out @ 26 sec. Might crank this back a bit, as it lacks body. Whilst it is enjoyable you ask yourself 'was that it?' Very quickly after consuming.

Would happily buy again.dcf654182ad6c07ef03a5b4f640110bf.jpg38498f236f69816e9f10974d5b0d39c3.jpg

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

I was late to this game so I'm one roaster behind. Looking to change that this month (especially with LSOL and decaf exclusive).

Thought I had taken a photo of the pack before I threw it out but don't seem to have.

Roaster 6 - Crankhouse

Wahana Estate, Indonesian natural.

Tasting notes:

PINEAPPLE, BANANA CHIP, SWEET SPICES

Dave, the lovely roaster over at crankhouse describes his bean as medium roast. Both visually and taste wise I would describe Wahana as medium to light roast.

This is my first natural process since getting properly into this malarky.

As were all friends here I'll be honest with you:

I bought these because the tasting notes are, well, a bit weird. Not just because they are flavours you don't relate to coffee but also because they don't really go. Pineapple + banana? No thanks.

Anywho, ordered for a bit of fun.

Prepared, extracted, sat down.

Wow, I think this is the 'natural funk' others have described. It's tangy, and sweet. I would go with mango over pineapple flavour when done right. Don't know what they are on about with banana.

What is really nice is how difficult it is to go wrong with this. When dialling in I had both 1:1 ratios and 1:3 all through lovely.

But when you hit that sweet spot (18g in 30 out in 31 sec for me) this is amazing.

Favourite coffee so far, going to be a hard one to beat.

10mm

I am enjoying your reviews - and journey! You are really enthusiastic - and it sounds like you are thoroughly delighted with your experiences and coffee :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Roaster 7 - Cielo

Beans Brazil Jeriquara

Natural

Tasting notes:

Pineapple - Blueberry - creamy mouthfeel.

Thoughts/ramblings:

Firstly, thank you to CamboSheff for the opportunity to try these beans. Both the roaster and these beans happened to be next on the purchase list.

Following on from the Wahana was going to be tricky for any roaster.

Another natural and heard good things from other forum members so high hopes for these.

Unfortunately they were as reliable as yodel. They did NOT deliver, they had many many attempts, but failed each time.

Started with 18g in 36 out in 29 seconds. Initially bitter taste, followed by one dimensional 'coffee' taste. Left with dry 'smokers' mouth that remained even after brushing my teeth (I think this is what people call astringent, is that right?).

Displaying signs of over extraction I went courser but updosed to keep time the same. Solved astringency and had a vague threat of sweetness to the end but still average at best.

Tried it long, short, with milk and americano.

Really strange this bean as I found it so easy to dial in and make adjustments (unlike Rwandan I struggled with a while ago) but it seemed insensitive to changes and each cup tasted the same.

Really pleased I had the Wahana first, if this was my first natural I would be reluctant to go for another.

Like @Jacko112 with so many fantastic roasters to choose from I won't be rushing back to Cielo.

Interesting. I had a bag of these and really enjoyed them. Big and bold fruity funkness for me. I am very partial to that kind of thing however.

I got my favourite shots just below the 2:1 ratio in about 32 seconds. 17.5g into 30g was about the optimum for me.

Interesting. I had a bag of these and really enjoyed them. Big and bold fruity funkness for me. I am very partial to that kind of thing however.

I got my favourite shots just below the 2:1 ratio in about 32 seconds. 17.5g into 30g was about the optimum for me.

This is why I was excited about trying these as several people raved about Cielo.

I loved the tasting notes and would have welcomed big, bold and funky. For whatever reason I just didn't get those flavours from this pack.

This is why I was excited about trying these as several people raved about Cielo.

I loved the tasting notes and would have welcomed big, bold and funky. For whatever reason I just didn't get those flavours from this pack.

Did you try the beans brewed? Crankhouse coffee posted that they're going to release a natural Brazilian with a similar flavour profile;

Did you try the beans brewed? Crankhouse coffee posted that they're going to release a natural Brazilian with a similar flavour profile;

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will definitely be giving this a go as Crankhouse typically produce corkers.

Re brewed, no I only drink espresso (and the occassional cappuccino). I was chatting to @Phobic last week about giving ccd a try though.

There is so much on my to do list for coffee, it's great 👍

Roaster 8 - LSOL North star

Been dialling these in the last few days. I was late to the party so the big reveal had already been made.

Opened the bag, met with a lovely sweet smelling coffee.

Pouring the beans out there appeared to be different sized beans, however the roast profile appeared more uniform than others on here.

Trepidation:

I love a well extracted LSOL coffee. However, with my relative newbiness to this I always prepare them with a degree of nervousness.

I find medium+ roasts more forgiving of my technique and I fall very easily into sourness with LSOL.

With this in mind 1st try:

18 in 36 out 22 seconds.

I was nervous tasting this, fast extraction, LSOL bean, sour train here I come..

But wait, no, acidity yes, sourness no. A little hollow but definitely drinkable.

I won't go through all variences I've tried but I've settled on 18 in 40 out in 30 seconds.

I haven't seen the tasting notes but find this offers a nicely balanced cup of coffee. Certainly got sweetness to it but against a acidic back drop, maybe strawberry or even orange.

It produces a lovely cup of coffee, I would happily buy from North Star again. Not blown away but I'd happily have this as an everyday coffee.

Well, I'm feeling pretty chuffed/smug just looked at tasting notes:

Plum | Tangerine | Caramel | Marzipan

Tangerine! I picked out a flavour without being led by any tasting notes! Go me..

Roaster 9 - Hasbean decaf

(Apologies for copy and paste, I finished the packet without updating so these are only notes I have on them).

Opened the packet, immediately struck by the aroma, it has a woody, almost chemical smell to it. Neither appealing nor unpleasant just quite unique.

Visually the beans look even in size, good equal roast. Appear quite dark however Hasbean said this is due to decaf process.

Ground to my usual LSOL level, 17.95g in basket. Ok extraction, a bit of a double tail but nothing major. 32.8 g out in 33 seconds.

Struck by the light crema, I suppose due to the darker appearance I subconsciously expected DSOL behaviour.

First taste, no bitterness, nice acidity that despite threatening to, never once tipped into sourness.

Taste more towards LSOL offerings. Lovely, lovely balance to it. Not getting as much fruit as others suggest but the acidity and hints of tang are a bit apple like I suppose.

Not getting any caramels or chocolate flavours, just a lovely balanced cup that you have to search the flavours out, opposed to some blends where they hit you in the face.

Great introduction to decaf and no way inferior to the caffeine alternatives.

Roaster 10:

Coffee Compass

Decaf Exclusive

I was looking forward to this as it was to be the (joint) first bean with the new HG-1, along with having heard great things about CC.

I opted for a medium roast profile and visually the beans looked very dark, experience tells me this is in part due to the decaff process. I didn't make any notes about the coffees aroma so cannot comment on that.

Having got to grips with the new grinder I got the coffee dialled in and was struck by the crema, it is the thickest crema I have ever seen on a coffee. It is gloopy, syrupy bordering on foam, aesthetically it looks good in the cup.

So far, so good, now for the taste...

If I close my eyes, really hard and think about lindt I can just about make out chocolate flavour. Apart from that you get a slight acidity and heaps of, coffee. I want to say more and I tried to enjoy this coffee but it just was too one dimensional for me. No complexion.

It does have some strength..

This coffee was super easy to dial in, and work with. Very difficult to get bitterness, sourness, or flavour it turns out..

Not a good coffee.

Ethiopia Sidamo

Free bonus bag thrown in a part of the exclusive beans.

I wish I had two bags of these, instead of the exclusive.

You see, when reviewing both these beans they are up against a stonker from foundry, which I will review in due course.

The ethiopian beans carry more complexion than the exclusive, have more of an acidic kick. This is from memory as I don't appear to have notes on these, yet. Will update as I finish the bag. I dont find myself looking forward to this task though, maybe that speaks for itself.

Even with the ethiopian beans the experience has made me wary of decaff, I have been told CC is a class roaster and I have no reason to doubt that. I heard musings about decaff being 'the devils spawn' with this in mind, if this is the best that Richard can offer....

Maybe it is.

Roaster 11

Foundry LSOL

So, another natural process. Loved my first (Crankhouse) wasn't fond of my second (cielo), will third time be the charm?

Well, yes.

Got these at the same time I got the HG-1 and together they made the nicest espresso I've ever had.

I went for 17.5 in 40 out and I got lovely tropical fruitiness, mango/papaya sweetness. Delicious.

Others on the thread spoke of cherry cola, I thought that sounded like a flavour and a half to chase. I tried lots of different ways to get these flavours but never did. Regardless every cup I had was deliciousness.

I can see why Foundry have the reputation that they do.

Edited by igm45

Roaster 12

Dark Arts

Another natural!

Similar to last month except medium/dark roast.

I love naturals, real boozy cherry notes here. Ironically I had notes of cherry cola that I couldn't find last month.

This just pips the Foundry for me, I think it's the mouth feel that does the job. It's one of those lovely espressos that you think ooh that was lovely and 10-15 minutes later it's still lingering goodness.

Roaster 12

Dark Arts

Another natural!

Similar to last month except medium/dark roast.

I love naturals, real boozy cherry notes here. Ironically I had notes of cherry cola that I couldn't find last month.

This just pips the Foundry for me, I think it's the mouth feel that does the job. It's one of those lovely espressos that you think ooh that was lovely and 10-15 minutes later it's still lingering goodness.

I love those cherry notes - which Dark Arts was this, the Nicaragua?

I love those cherry notes - which Dark Arts was this, the Nicaragua?
No, last months DSOL the Panama

Just saw this on instagram. Might do this for my next 12 roaster challenge0e6535a23877ce5b40500c9c59955481.jpg

Just saw this on instagram. Might do this for my next 12 roaster challenge0e6535a23877ce5b40500c9c59955481.jpg
I can't help but think there's a prettier method of display... I used to cut out the labels and put in a journal, but stopped as was pointless with LSOL. Might start again now though...

In my study I have a large picture frame with fabric inside and pegs on lines across it. You could peg labels to something that for display perhaps.

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

I can't help but think there's a prettier method of display... I used to cut out the labels and put in a journal, but stopped as was pointless with LSOL. Might start again now though...

In my study I have a large picture frame with fabric inside and pegs on lines across it. You could peg labels to something that for display perhaps.

I agree,

I'm not that creative.

Maybe we should start a new thread for most creative coffee related art?