NAJB

Dalian Amazon Experiences

Looking good@tonescout. Something I have noticed is that I find it easier to collect the bean from the cooling tray when there is a drop off the edge of the table. Maybe you have a better bowl for collecting them in but something to bear in mind if you have not considered it?

Posted (edited)

Choffter, DaveC's guide will no doubt tell you more but I would suggest this is the minimum amount of space you want as you can put scales and container directly under the cooling tray exit hatch and have the net roast weight withouyt further faffing about, stand a phoner in a holder (I always use two timers - phone and wristwatch in case one fails for some reason), stand a drink, roast log etc.). Of course the space some people have around their roaster is even better. Reason for mine is when this was set up (and this pic is probalby 3 years old now) DaveC advised me to use a trolley so worst case in the event of a roast chamber fire I could reach to unplug and wheel it all outside. These days I use a different light DaveC suggested to judge final roast stage colour better.

Paul-L-Dahlian-Test-Roaster-Mar-2016.jpg

Edited by PaulL

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

K-type sits in this exact position because the hole was there. Simples! Dave might give you the long version, can't properly recall it...
I removed the probe and plugged the hole with a screw.

Re Vienna, drop in at https://www.tasteit.at/ located in the Inner City, Wollzeile. They can surely give you up to date directions where to get decent coffee... not too easy in good old Kaffeehaus town.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

The K type is there because that was the second best place for it, nowhere else was practical. It gives more an average of bean mass and environmental temp and doesn't vary as much as the PT100 probe.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Hi @chofter. Just a few extra thoughts;  as you get to know your roaster better as time goes on, keep changing your parameters and experiment to see what happens (but remember to log eveything).  From looking at your roast logs, your temp is continuing to increase quite rapidly after FC; which is not generally a good thing. You might want to reduce the temperature setting on the Ewelly controller (the one for Bean Temp) by 5 degrees so that the heating elements cut out sooner.

If you haven't read it yet - see if you can get a copy of a book by Scott Rao "The coffee roasters companion".  I  have found it to be a useful resource.

Finally, dont forget that fresh coffee needs time to de-gas (the chemical processes are still creating carbon dioxide) - leave it 5-10 days before drinking (experiment and see what seems best for you)

Enjoy the journey and remember to share your journey and ask lots of questions. You will find a ton of helpful advice and information here on the forum.

Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon

Hi @chofter. Just a few extra thoughts;  as you get to know your roaster better as time goes on, keep changing your parameters and experiment to see what happens (but remember to log eveything).  From looking at your roast logs, your temp is continuing to increase quite rapidly after FC; which is not generally a good thing. You might want to reduce the temperature setting on the Ewelly controller (the one for Bean Temp) by 5 degrees so that the heating elements cut out sooner.

If you haven't read it yet - see if you can get a copy of a book by Scott Rao "The coffee roasters companion".  I  have found it to be a useful resource.

Finally, dont forget that fresh coffee needs time to de-gas (the chemical processes are still creating carbon dioxide) - leave it 5-10 days before drinking (experiment and see what seems best for you)

Enjoy the journey and remember to share your journey and ask lots of questions. You will find a ton of helpful advice and information here on the forum.

Much appreciated@RDC8 I’ll make the changes to the outlet vent as Dave suggested and also try reducing the bean temp too. I’ll do these independently of each other and try a roast with each / both. I’ll be sure to log and keep sharing my findings.

I have the book! Although very short it’s ideal for my level. Already learned a lot from it regarding the end to end process.

For general interest here is my power monitor, a little more expensive than the Maplin device  no idea of it's accuracy by comparison. It is however a convenient set up. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JIMQP6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

see images, I used the c-clamp sensor on one of the supply lines for the heater (plenty of room to do this neatly inside the rear panel)

I am also chasing the exact specification of the supplied RT100 Thermal sensors so I can source duplex sensors - can anyone help here?

R

IMG_20190621_100526923.jpg

That's a nice little unit, certainly easy to read and probably reasonably accurate. It would be interesting to see how fast it reacts when you fit a power controller. One of the thoughts I have is if there are  meters like this that keep a historical record it's could be very useful to monitor the total energy supplied to a roast batch and note that on the roast logs. I may actually start to hunt something down that can connect to the phone via BT or something. I'm running a roasting course soon so might use some of the money towards research, my last lot of cash went towards a spare heating element....I felt uncomfortable not having one in case I was training and the element failed the day before.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I wanted to test the principle with this, as I will be using the same for my Artisan logging set up: 

https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid=16&pcid=14&prodid=376

I will then put this one on my house for it's normal purpose. 

Image shows sensor install with this,

I will be fitting a power controller and let you know!

This unit ok do you think, the original link does not work in eBay anymore on your guide? looks about the same
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-220V-5000W-Regulator-SCR-High-Power-Motor-Electronic-Voltage-Regulator-Switch/143182507262?hash=item215657acfe:g:-lsAAOSwndBclMAP

R

IMG_20190621_100544548.jpg

Posted (edited)

That's probably the one, it just needs a few eyes and 4 legs.....

ooh, the vents in the floor are new, mine doesn't have them.

Edited by DavecUK

That's probably the one, it just needs a few eyes and 4 legs.....

ooh, the vents in the floor are new, mine doesn't have them.
oh mine came with the vents, as well - that was Jan 2018 delivery!

Handy because you can use zip ties everywhere. But a bit of a hassle to clean up chaff from inside AND underneath...

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

I am just about to fit a 4" flu to my Dalian. I bought a 4 metre length of tubing.

Is there an optimal length and orientation in its positioning?

Until now, I have just popped the OE flu through a gap in a sliding window and the flu remains in a vertical position whilst roasting.

Will I notice any difference in roast times/responsiveness etc. with the larger diameter flu?

Yes of course.

Is there a preferred design withstanding individual circumstances.

horizontal or/then vertical

diameter increasing from 80?

length?

etc, or is it just try and see?

R

Keep ducting as straight and short as possible.
It's all down to resistance - less of that means more bandwidth to control airflow with dampers

• Like 1

says Hasi.

4 hours ago, Hasi said:

Keep ducting as straight and short as possible.
It's all down to resistance - less of that means more bandwidth to control airflow with dampers emoji1303.png

Many thanks, Hasi.

That's what I thought but it is great to have another opinion. I will roast a few batches with the new flu on Thursday and see for myself what differences it makes.

Many thanks, Hasi.
That's what I thought but it is great to have another opinion. I will roast a few batches with the new flu on Thursday and see for myself what differences it makes.

Would be good if you could post your findings@Paolo5. I will also be changing the flu on the back of Daves recommendation and interested to see the results.

quick question on roaster noise, I roasted another batch today - but waiting until my instrumentation to come before attempting to learn the art....

My roaster now seems to make some sort of ticking/sort of random noises a alongside the belt pulley noise - tried to record it but not really captured. Is this normal?

R

Possibly, expansion of metals or coming from drum area whilst it warms up?

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

On 12/06/2019 at 09:41, Hasi said:

You will need special temp probes to keep internal controllers and their safety mechanisms intact. thermosense.co.uk or similar can supply you with custom dual PT-100 probes to your specifications (take measurements with a caliper). Make sure to get thinner sheaths (3-4mm) while keeping length the same (or RT probe will collide with drum shovels).

Then get a USB data logger (I use myPCLab, comnected to Artisan via Modbus). Suitable drivers may be a problem, just research before buying!
Some data loggers have floating comma or other strange output standards, for instance myPCLab writes 1000 for 100C. You'll need to configure Artisan accordingly, which can be a pain.

If you have the hardware installed give me a shout in case you need help! emoji6.png

Hey quick follow up on the probes, the front bean probe is secured by sliding in and a side grub screw and is easy to determine the size of (40mm protruding) but the rear seems to be screwed in directly - before I turn and find out otherwise, do you recall how you removed this for the swap out?

Image attached. Thanks,

Rich

IMG_20190624_185257164.jpg

Don't bother with that one, it's only the one on the front you need to worry about!

• Like 1