NAJB

Dalian Amazon Experiences

A fire blanket could come in handy too (again, no cleanup). Though that may depend on your accessability to where the fire is.

That’s a good idea as a back up ashcroc

+1 on Dave's advice (CO2 not powder by the way. Powder may put it out but will also render your roaster pretty much useless without an every nook and cranny take apart and scrub clean)
May want to think of a std size kitchen worktop and 2 lower cabinets from somewhere like the Swedish blue and yellow shop if wanting something more solid that does not cost the earth (just watch the height of any legs you also buy...) is what we ended up doing in the log cabin, just the cabinet "boxes" no doors though.
Hope of help
John

Cheers for the advice johnealey. I’ll wait for the roaster arriving with the guide and see what will work. I’m happy to save a few quid if it does the same job.

IMG_9308.jpgIMG_9309.jpgIMG_9311.jpg

Well it’s here. A very pretty machine. I have read through the various guides which accompany it and they are VERY comprehensive. Have to purchase some of the recommended equipment before setting up the roaster.

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

I visited BB yesterday and did a trial roast on the Dalia, which I am looking to purchase. I am based in West Sussex, and would also be interested in a course from Dave C. 

I would like to add Artisan to monitor the roast (not to manage it) and any experience on achieving this from members would be great.

Rich

47 minutes ago, tonescout said:

Hello everyone,

I visited BB yesterday and did a trial roast on the Dalia, which I am looking to purchase. I am based in West Sussex, and would also be interested in a course from Dave C. 

I would like to add Artisan to monitor the roast (not to manage it) and any experience on achieving this from members would be great.

Rich

@DavecUK

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Just spotted this...sorry can't really help with Artisan, I don't use it.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

So I had my first experience with the Dalian last night. All went well with the process. The roast was very fast though, finishing in 11:30. And even then it is far too dark for me.

The temperature of the roaster was always about 5
Degrees above the recommended temps. I decided to stick with the example profile. I think I will let more cool air in at the next roast to try and slow down the process.

I also have a question about the cooling arm if anyone knows: I turned the cooling try on and then dumped the beans. Does this automatically draw air through the beans? It seemed to take a while to cool them down so wonder if any other settings need to be engaged to cool them down.

Here is the final roast. Comments and suggestions welcomed!!

IMG_9353.jpg

I have also attached a picture of my beans and a lighter roast done by a local roaster for comparison.

IMG_9354.jpg

All in all I’m very happy with the machine after the first roast, and know it takes kilos and kilos to get decent coffee coming out. The machine is fairly quiet, drum and fan.

Oh and another question, should I be getting steam from the back vents of the drum during the initial stages of the roast?

Are you able to measure the wattage being drawn when roasting and also the voltage as this may assist in any comments to point you in the right direction? 

For example: my voltage is on the high side, regularly 247v and will draw 2800w average, from his information was able to change some parameters of cooling / smoke damper positions and then look at roast and air temp max temps on the PID's (there is a controller mod you can do to the Dalian similar to the gene but lets not get ahead of ourselves)

First roast may also be picking up any oils / greases used in manufacture, pretty sure @DavecUK guide suggests binning this one.

On the steam bit, I recall asking exactly the same question and Dave pointed out to me that I had the smoke damper closed for too long so where else would any steam  / smoke go! 

Reluctant to advise any changes yet until you know the above as you could easily go the other way and bake your beans (euugh!)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

As to the cooling arm in addition to the above @Choffter, no turning the arm on will not increase the flow of air, you need to pull out the cooling air (CA) damper arm and reduce the amount air going through the drum by reducing the Smoke damper (SD) arm. The two are interconnected in terms of airflow, so too much SD restricts the amount of air available to the cooling tray. I think Dave has described it as thinking as gears i.e. the closer in you are to the body of the roaster the more "speed", flow range really, available to the other (there is a good diagram explaining this in the handbook)

You, if not already, need a means to record your roast and can drop you a word doc example over if it helps (PM me) as will be the most frequently asked questions such as what temps, when, what SD setting, what CA setting,, Roast and air temps etc and times.

Hope of help, it does take a little while as they all seem to roast a little differently dependant on voltage locally and wattage of heating element plus ambient etc ( the controller mod looks to level this out, haven't done it yet and about 300kgs )

John

• Like 1

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Hello everyone,
Rich
You will need special temp probes to keep internal controllers and their safety mechanisms intact. thermosense.co.uk or similar can supply you with custom dual PT-100 probes to your specifications (take measurements with a caliper). Make sure to get thinner sheaths (3-4mm) while keeping length the same (or RT probe will collide with drum shovels).

Then get a USB data logger (I use myPCLab, comnected to Artisan via Modbus). Suitable drivers may be a problem, just research before buying!
Some data loggers have floating comma or other strange output standards, for instance myPCLab writes 1000 for 100C. You'll need to configure Artisan accordingly, which can be a pain.

If you have the hardware installed give me a shout in case you need help!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

That’s really helpful@johnealey I must have missed the point around the cooling arm in the instructions so I’m guessing my batch continued to roast in the cooling tray.

I was given some A4 roast loggers from BB (and 5kg of beans!) but don’t have a soft copy so can pm you about that. Much appreciated. I did log the temps which I can share and also the ambient temp (14 deg).

I will buy a power meter and use for the second roast and share my experience again and hopefully the additional info can shed some light on any tweaks required. Thanks again for your input.

Does anyone know if this would be a decent power meter? I’m happy to hear suggestions for decent one that won’t cost the earth.

IMG_9356.jpg

10 hours ago, Hasi said:

You will need special temp probes to keep internal controllers and their safety mechanisms intact. thermosense.co.uk or similar can supply you with custom dual PT-100 probes to your specifications (take measurements with a caliper). Make sure to get thinner sheaths (3-4mm) while keeping length the same (or RT probe will collide with drum shovels).

Then get a USB data logger (I use myPCLab, comnected to Artisan via Modbus). Suitable drivers may be a problem, just research before buying!
Some data loggers have floating comma or other strange output standards, for instance myPCLab writes 1000 for 100C. You'll need to configure Artisan accordingly, which can be a pain.

If you have the hardware installed give me a shout in case you need help! emoji6.png

Thanks for this - I will advise on my progress.

I assume this means that I am adding additional new probes solely for the purpose of recording into Artisan. ("You will need special temp probes to keep internal controllers and their safety mechanisms intact.")

I sent a PM to you, but it would have been better placed here - does anyone measure the drum negative pressure to help understand the effect of the damper settings on airflow in the roasting drum?

I have a power meter arriving today. With any luck I’ll have time to see what power the Toaster is pulling and will post, along with my first roast log, and would welcome any comments on adjustments needed.

Thanks for this - I will advise on my progress.
I assume this means that I am adding additional new probes solely for the purpose of recording into Artisan. ("You will need special temp probes to keep internal controllers and their safety mechanisms intact.")
I sent a PM to you, but it would have been better placed here - does anyone measure the drum negative pressure to help understand the effect of the damper settings on airflow in the roasting drum?
Correct, dual probes are essentially two probes in one sheath, a dual PT100 will have 6 wires. You reconnect three of them to the respective internal controller and wire the other three to a data logger. Data loggers usually connect via USB to a PC running its drivers and a displaying/recording application such as Artisan, Cropster, etc.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Drum neg. pressure might be interesting, but not necessary to get the hang of your roaster. If you have the opportunity to keep an eye on exhaust fumes (venting out of a window etc.), you can read pretty much from there. Steam in drying phase, smoke towards the end - amount, density and muzzle velocity.

I have mine connected to a venting duct, so I cannot see what exists the exhaust. Still, I manage to roast what I believe to be pretty palatable

(btw, we might achieve 1000 batches this year - just sayin - can I get a forum badge for that?!)

• Like 2

says Hasi.

So after another roast, it seemed to be more difficult to follow the prescribed numbers in the manual. Seems to start off with a much higher roasting temp and not a big different between that and the air temp.

I have attached my log for anyone to take a look and pass any comments back. Cheers!!

IMG_9360.jpg

What do the beans look like, and taste like!

Mine delivered on Friday, got a hand to take the box into my roasting lab (wooden cabin...) and have it now on a table with a one man self lift - just to impatient to wait for second pair of hands! actually not THAT heavy.

Will send install pictures, and I will be working on Artisan instrumentation next with Phidgets.

Rich

• Like 1

Oh, stop using the supplied vent tube with the roaster and get a 100mm one, plus an adaptor to fit the fan outlet (or simply crush the 100mm one down to size at the end as I did).

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

What do the beans look like, and taste like!

Mine delivered on Friday, got a hand to take the box into my roasting lab (wooden cabin...) and have it now on a table with a one man self lift - just to impatient to wait for second pair of hands! actually not THAT heavy.

Will send install pictures, and I will be working on Artisan instrumentation next with Phidgets.

Rich

I did think it was heavy getting it onto the table. Look forward to see your set up.

Have not tasted the beans yet but they look ok. Again a little dark for me so will try for a lighter roast next time.

Oh, stop using the supplied vent tube with the roaster and get a 100mm one, plus an adaptor to fit the fan outlet (or simply crush the 100mm one down to size at the end as I did).

Hi @DaveUK I will order a 100mm venting tube. Why is this better? Also, I was wondering if you have a view as to why my roasting temp and air temp are quite close?

My wattage and voltage numbers seems to match yours.

Hi @DaveUK I will order a 100mm venting tube. Why is this better? Also, I was wondering if you have a view as to why my roasting temp and air temp are quite close?

100mm means less restriction, careful with sharp bends (90deg) though as they make up for 6m of pipe

don't worry about AT at all, ikbthe end of the day these controllers aren't the most accurate ones and will display quite random numbers. Take them relatively and as guides and you'll be fine

PS: just the other day I had my neighbour over who runs a plant/measuring engineering company. I asked him to take a look at my temp probes (3mm dual PT100) to calibrate readings in Artisan. Seeing the difference now, the same probe reads around 25°C lower on internal controllers!!

• Like 1

says Hasi.

1 hour ago, Choffter said:

Do the tube first, it may answer most of your questions.

• Like 1

Here is my set up in progress, I am likely to use these guys for some professional vent exits in my set up https://www.jacob-uk.com/JACOB_Online_Catalogue_2017.pdf

On installation does anyone bother to seal the joints from roaster to cyclone?

I am putting cyclone on LHS of roaster,  and will exit out of wall behind and route up with a rain cap; and you may recognise the bench of Swedish origin.....

I am off on a trip to Vienna tomorrow [might follow some leads here https://europeancoffeetrip.com/coffee-day-in-vienna/ ] any good coffee spot recommendations welcomed 🙂

Does anyone know why the K-type probe for Artisan is positioned where it is? 

Rich

IMG_20190617_095056581_HDR.jpg

• Like 2