NAJB

Dalian Amazon Experiences

Well I keep experimenting with packaging.....no valve packaging.

There have been a few threads on the business support forum, but this is probably of more interest to home roasters and those who sell to friends and at markets. It's an attempt at minimal packaging. Effectively taking just the layer inside those craft type bags. The packaging is thin but seems very strong. This is the first time I have used it...I roasted about 6kg yesterday and will hopefully be able to keep some for a whiole and see how puffed up and tense they get. They are quite a bit larger than the Kraft foil lined ones I was using and even with 430g of coffee in (which fits easily) have plenty of room for expansion. The Kraft ones couldn't hold any more than 300g. They seal at a lower heat setting, probably because of the lack of a paper outer, makes it little bit faster.

Pricing is good as they only cost 9p per bag....so cheaper than the Kraft ones and they hold a label better.

y4mHQpg2rp_aDI43PJ5llvV7aoik1TTk3ur2vWO3PTfZ2UQVDh_hw9IoweXhpyW3SobeZDSKS7Iw6B75QbJzwa7z_tniqC3NwyoJTVzYpOX88UPE1iPxj3-YD4-Pb_zqbmqSDTYakciHVzw0ivtRPKHNUIkGCtSAF7Pn5v7PveuBa1kmoKBDbwuDxdrjAKsSSuPO9TZBmDHJH5ZBRs3y1qVwg?width=1024&height=665&cropmode=none

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Nice, you got my Address there,haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Nice, you got my Address there,haha

Would have deleted it after passing it on to ACS....because I don't feel right keeping stuff like that....old fashioned I guess. I would imagine a lot of it will be gone in a few days.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Would have deleted it after passing it on to ACS....because I don't feel right keeping stuff like that....old fashioned I guess. I would imagine a lot of it will be gone in a few days.

Dave, would you please also post an image of a "fully grown" balloon, erh.. bag?

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Well I keep experimenting with packaging.....no valve packaging.

There have been a few threads on the business support forum, but this is probably of more interest to home roasters and those who sell to friends and at markets. It's an attempt at minimal packaging. Effectively taking just the layer inside those craft type bags. The packaging is thin but seems very strong. This is the first time I have used it...I roasted about 6kg yesterday and will hopefully be able to keep some for a whiole and see how puffed up and tense they get. They are quite a bit larger than the Kraft foil lined ones I was using and even with 430g of coffee in (which fits easily) have plenty of room for expansion. The Kraft ones couldn't hold any more than 300g. They seal at a lower heat setting, probably because of the lack of a paper outer, makes it little bit faster.

Pricing is good as they only cost 9p per bag....so cheaper than the Kraft ones and they hold a label better.

y4mHQpg2rp_aDI43PJ5llvV7aoik1TTk3ur2vWO3PTfZ2UQVDh_hw9IoweXhpyW3SobeZDSKS7Iw6B75QbJzwa7z_tniqC3NwyoJTVzYpOX88UPE1iPxj3-YD4-Pb_zqbmqSDTYakciHVzw0ivtRPKHNUIkGCtSAF7Pn5v7PveuBa1kmoKBDbwuDxdrjAKsSSuPO9TZBmDHJH5ZBRs3y1qVwg?width=1024&height=665&cropmode=none

Where did you source these Dave?

btw: Roastlogger has an OCR feature to capture controller temperatures.

http://roastlogger.co.uk/coffee/roastlogger/dmmdetails.html

According to numerous reports on the interwebz it seems to work ok. Though I haven't tried it myself, yet.

First of all thank you for sharing all of your experiences here guys. I have found loads of useful information here for the people who are first timers.

Half of it I have already learned, sadly in a hard way by burning and dumping my beans in to the bin.

I have tried myself OCR and find out that is more designed for HOTTOP devices. Obviously, you can get to work with yours Dalian to, but then is very important to have perfect lighting (no shades or sparkles on the controller), otherwise, information may be wrongly transferred to your device. Also the small dot after the numbers (on the controller again) sometimes disturbs getting clear information.

To be completely honest, tried - did not liked. If you was successful, would be more than happy to hear your opinion :-)

Hi Dave,

I'm very new to roasting and have purchased a 1kg Amazon. My beans are coming out like toads rather than smooth like frogs, as they were before. I've tried 4 different bean types and it just doesn't feel like its roasting properly. There are few reasons why I think this may be.

We moved the roaster and now it makes what sounds like a rubbing noise, especially when it reaches hotter temps. The beans I used this morning were left outside and in a tool shed that gets very hot in sun. Also, we have set it up on balcony outside, which I'm not sure is recommend. Can you roast outside? My airflow has always operated lover than the roast temp so unsure if that's related.

I noticed oo a previous thread from a while back they you run sessions, I'd be more than happy to tap into these if you still do them.

Shalom

Darren

Hi Dave,

I'm very new to roasting and have purchased a 1kg Amazon. My beans are coming out like toads rather than smooth like frogs, as they were before. I've tried 4 different bean types and it just doesn't feel like its roasting properly. There are few reasons why I think this may be.

We moved the roaster and now it makes what sounds like a rubbing noise, especially when it reaches hotter temps. The beans I used this morning were left outside and in a tool shed that gets very hot in sun. Also, we have set it up on balcony outside, which I'm not sure is recommend. Can you roast outside? My airflow has always operated lover than the roast temp so unsure if that's related.

I noticed oo a previous thread from a while back they you run sessions, I'd be more than happy to tap into these if you still do them.

Shalom

Darren

@DavecUK will be along in a bit but you may need a few more posts under your belt to be able to receive PM's(?) or reply to them(?).

If you purchased your Amazon from Bella Barista you should have a guide written by Dave that should help you along a bit and having received help from Dave in the past (unrelated but still coffee related, as it turns out, non purchase) is extremely knowledgeable so you will gain a big jump in learning by training with him, worth every penny.

To start with though, please bring your beans indoors and keep somewhere relatively temperature stable (under the bed, cupboard under stairs, bottom of wardrobe not subject to direct sunlight) as beans don't react very well to massive changes in temperature / humidity even as greens!

Best of luck with your other issues and getting on with roasting in the Amazon.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Hi Dave,

Shalom

Darren

Could be a lot of things changed when you moved the roaster....where are you actually based?

I'll list a few of the many variables which may have changed things:

Balcony airflow/draughts

Balcony direction, time of sun on roaster

Power and length of wiring

Length of exhaust duct

Lighting

Noise

Tilt of roaster, or has it been jarred

etc..

The fact your airflow is always lower than the roast temp is confusing and the information is a bit limited...

The fact your airflow is always lower than the roast temp is confusing and the information is a bit limited...

In addition to the above, maybe it would help to know the following:

What damper positions had been used?

Had the exhaust duct even been attached?

Had the plunger been put back in place after filling?

Again, if it's a Bella Barista variant, did the manual written by Dave been ship with it? (mine went missing back then)

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Hi all, I have just joined this forum and have also put an order down for the Amazon Dalian with BB. I am new to roasting and look forward to learning the skills and techniques, to hopefully be able to roast a decent batch of coffee. I will share my experiences as I go, but if anyone has any question, give me a shout.

Last paragraph, should be the other way round. Davec could help you if you require extra help like a course. Where are you based.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Last paragraph, should be the other way round. Davec could help you if you require extra help like a course. Where are you based.

Thanks Jony, BB did mention there is great knowledge and support on this forum. I’m based in central Scotland so not very handy!

He is a long way away from me in Sunny Scotland.....I have had people journey overnight and stay in a local B&B, but never as far as Scotland. Air travel, getting from airport to me even if I pick them up from Heathrow...nightmare for them I would think and expensive once the travel costs are factored in.

He is a long way away from me in Sunny Scotland.....I have had people journey overnight and stay in a local B&B, but never as far as Scotland. Air travel, getting from airport to me even if I pick them up from Heathrow...nightmare for them I would think and expensive once the travel costs are factored in.

Unfortunately it is a bit far Dave as I have seen you can be persuaded to run a course, and BB did mention your knowledge of roasting and the Dalian roaster.

I should be receiving the Amazon Dalian roaster soon once I agree shipping to my location from BB. I’m also looking to add a grinder to the order so need to choose that too. Exciting.

• Like 1

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice before my Amazon Dalian gets here.

Can anyone recommend a length of table to place the roaster on. The roaster itself is 700mm long. Do you need a decent amount of space either side?

Secondly, I will be looking to buy an extinguisher. Is CO2 the way to go? Any advice on this?

Also, if anyone has any additional advice in terms of purchases at this stage, I’d be really grateful. As mentioned, I am a novice and looking to learn this slowly and properly.

Not sure I know Powder is good, but not sure its good for leaving residue on stuff. You haven't read up on fire safety then have you.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

1 hour ago, Choffter said:

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice before my Amazon Dalian gets here.

Can anyone recommend a length of table to place the roaster on. The roaster itself is 700mm long. Do you need a decent amount of space either side?

Secondly, I will be looking to buy an extinguisher. Is CO2 the way to go? Any advice on this?

Also, if anyone has any additional advice in terms of purchases at this stage, I’d be really grateful. As mentioned, I am a novice and looking to learn this slowly and properly.

Wait and read my guide, it will tell you everything you need to know.

• Like 1

That’s great Dave cheers. I wasn’t sure how detailed it go so will hold fire until it’s here.

Hi Choffter, I have mine on a 1m x 610mm wide trolley and it sits on the entire space. This leaves no room to work around the roaster so if you have a computer or want to make notes as you roast, you will need more room or a separate table as I have. 

Advice from Dave is the best, however having worked on his roaster and mine, his is an entirely different beast to mine, so needs to be taken into consideration. Best thing is to make a lot of notes in the begining and taste your coffee!! Good luck, it's very satisfying when you get it right and it tastes amazing.

• Like 1

+1 on Dave's advice (CO2 not powder by the way. Powder may put it out but will also render your roaster pretty much useless without an every nook and cranny take apart and scrub clean)

May want to think of a std size kitchen worktop and 2 lower cabinets from somewhere like the Swedish blue and yellow shop if wanting something more solid that does not cost the earth (just watch the height of any legs you also buy...) is what we ended up doing in the log cabin, just the cabinet "boxes" no doors though.

Hope of help

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

A fire blanket could come in handy too (again, no cleanup). Though that may depend on your accessability to where the fire is.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Hi Choffter, I have mine on a 1m x 610mm wide trolley and it sits on the entire space. This leaves no room to work around the roaster so if you have a computer or want to make notes as you roast, you will need more room or a separate table as I have. 
Advice from Dave is the best, however having worked on his roaster and mine, his is an entirely different beast to mine, so needs to be taken into consideration. Best thing is to make a lot of notes in the begining and taste your coffee!! Good luck, it's very satisfying when you get it right and it tastes amazing.

Thanks for the advice Densven!