NAJB

Dalian Amazon Experiences

This is grade A awesome!

As for the Minis, there should be room for at least one in every home :cool:

Never underestimate the power of the Three Point Turn (as famously shown by Austin Powers)

(while we're at it: RIP Verne Troyer...) Once you get the hang of it, you can fit as many Minis AND coffee roasters in this place as you can think of - well, almost... just as a side note.

Looking very much forward to following your progress...!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

This is grade A awesome!

As for the Minis, there should be room for at least one in every home :cool:

Never underestimate the power of the Three Point Turn (as famously shown by Austin Powers)

(while we're at it: RIP Verne Troyer...) Once you get the hang of it, you can fit as many Minis AND coffee roasters in this place as you can think of - well, almost... just as a side note.

Looking very much forward to following your progress...!

I'm looking forward to it getting started, permission arrived about a week before the planned arrival date so that was nice.

I am yet to plan the internals, but originally my intentions were to have around 10m of car/tools etc space which is huge considering the size of minis but having it sized for 1 normal car and 1 mini future proofs it a bit. Then having approx 5m of clean space beyond a partition wall for me to roast, store beans and have a couple of ovens possibly. If it turns out I need more space I can just move the partition wall in either direction.

When the build starts I'll no doubt post a thread.

Now onto sitting down and drawing up some rough internal layout plans. Also water in/out, power and gas.

Home Kit - ECM Synchronika and Niche Zero

Work Kit - Fracino Contempo Dual Fuel 2gp, Mythos and Niche Zero

Roastery - Fracino Bambino 2gp, Grinder TBC, Amazon Dalian 1kg

Just stopped by for a little Dalian Amazon praise...!

It's such a marvellous roaster :)

The other day, I roasted batches 31 and 32 in which I achieved 100% identical temp curves, once again. Eventhough the first batch came in directly after (thorough) warm-up.

A while ago I figured for my workflow that extending warm-up procedure a bit (power mod, altered damper adjustment) yields more predictability. After a roast, I let the roaster rest until I eject the dumped beans from cooling tray. This has to do with entering final weight into my roast logging software so it saves with the profile before I record a new roast (as well as a more laid back process). It usually takes around 5mins extra as I fire up the heat elements again only halfway into cooling phase. So no real back-to-back roasting, however, my results are nicely consistent :cool:

One thing that I would recommend to new users: stick to one bean until you get to grips with all details of roasting with your new equipment.

I've switched varietals a couple times in the beginning and I found it hard to understand and track down the occasional error. Now, with some 25 batches of Guatemalan Finca Medina washed SHB on record, I believe to know the machine well enough to tackle more demanding species with ease.

Happy roasting everybody!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

What are the guidelines for roasting peaberry?

Should I reduce the weight as I would for the Gene?

Others experience please.

What are the guidelines for roasting peaberry?

Should I reduce the weight as I would for the Gene?

Others experience please.

No need to reduce weight, tend to be smaller so will take on heat quickly....don't let the roast get out of control going into 1st

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

So will I need to be more aware and careful in managing the ROR below ten minutes?

1st C in other roasts are being managed to occur at 10 to 11 minutes (as your examples) and happen at 174C,

Thanks for the reply.

So will I need to be more aware and careful in managing the ROR below ten minutes?

1st C in other roasts are being managed to occur at 10 to 11 minutes (as your examples) and happen at 174C,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't roast any Peaberries in the Amazon, yet, so just in general: be careful, but don't stall.

Here's a good read recommended to me by a fellow forum member earlier: https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2018/2/24/what-is-baked-coffee-most-pros-dont-know

It is difficult to track this detail with the standard probes a Dalian Amazon comes with, but experience will tell you what to do ;)

I usually apply a little less heat (~80% with power mod) well before 1C so I can ramp up to around 90% some 30sec before 1C. Doing so added heat kicks in again at a time where a stall becomes likely. Then, I gradually reduce heat and open SD through 1C, keeping an eye or two on bean temp. At the end of 1C, I cut all heat and let the roast roll on just by balancing the damper(s). If your roast starts to get out of control, be quick in closing CA while keeping SD open (or opening it further) - until RT normalises again. It's obviously not best practice and will reduce cup quality, however, it might prevent bigger issues.

Off to prepare some brew... :)

says Hasi.

Hi everyone. This is my first post. Is this the right place for questions if I am considering buying a Dalian Amazon?

Hi everyone. This is my first post. Is this the right place for questions if I am considering buying a Dalian Amazon?

Yes

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Welcome.

You will also find a wealth of information in this thread:

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?26651-It-s-that-time-of-year-again-New-Roaster-coming-on-test

DavecUK (post above) was involved in the redesign of the Amazon for the UK/EU market.

I want to get a Amazon when they are available. The only place I can have it is in my cellar (or get a shed). Can anyone tell me what electric supply I need and importantly what ventilation I would need. It will be quite near the coal chute so I was hoping to be able to rig some ducting to the outside. Has anyone done anything like this or is it a no go. Thanks in advance everyone.

I want to get a Amazon when they are available. The only place I can have it is in my cellar (or get a shed). Can anyone tell me what electric supply I need and importantly what ventilation I would need. It will be quite near the coal chute so I was hoping to be able to rig some ducting to the outside. Has anyone done anything like this or is it a no go. Thanks in advance everyone.

Good 13 amp supply, normal 3 pin plug. Don't use the supplied ducting hose use a 120mm one and squash it down a bit at one end to connect to the Dalian. in this way you maximise airflow.

Thanks DavecUK. Do you think it would be okay in the cellar? Would I need any fan on the ducting?

As long as you don't plan to lay it all around your basement but rather take the shortest possible route, the Amazon fan will suffice.

I had it connected to an in-line fan using supplied hose (full length) but found it disturbing regarding damper controls.

Now, I use this extra fan to vent my roasting area - which is located down below, as well. Reason for this is especially when dumping beans you'll have fumes rising from the cooling tray. Yes, there's a technique to largely avoid this, however, it takes away my attention from other things I intend to do upon and straight after dumping.

So you might want to consider some additions to your setup once you get to grips with the roaster in your place - but nothing urgently needed to get started.

Enjoy!

says Hasi.

The other day I finally switched temp probes to dual :cool:

730103dd048bfdc1e1fc28c161d92161.jpg

When stripping original wiring I found a burnt section at upper holding bracket of RT cable (next to sight glass). Still, probe worked until replaced.

2d00f16ca1037061b8ffa4ec5d7908e1.jpg

Controllers read exactly as before plus I can connect to Artisan using MyPClab. Did a quick check-up run with empty drum and found temp readings differ pretty much - tried to nail the issue but no success until midnight. All wires and connectors are identical as can be, so must be a calibration thing...

...looking forward to seeing my plan come together :)

says Hasi.

Will be interested to see how you get along with this.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

It's completely awkward to adjust... like a new roaster :D

3mm sheaths behave so much differently, TP I see happens at 1:30 >155°C ??

Controllers and computer wouldn't read the same so had to adjust by writing a corrective function into Artisan. Doesn't work perfectly at the moment so will sit down and rethink, eventually.

And I'm under the impression that airflow has an effect on temp readings - so might look into getting 6mm dual probes as well...

But now onto todays Typica roast-off:

Guatemala (Finca Medina washed) vs. Panama (Berlina Estate washed)

e71fd6d714cb5590e999ee627a36702c.jpg

says Hasi.

oooh and pulling probes has an instant effect on temp curve!!

says Hasi.

7ba0627724e8759ab7ca4d3c0b4369a4.jpg

:cool:

says Hasi.

Finally the Amazon has arrived....bit of a delay as I have been away for a couple of weeks but shiny new toy is in the garage.....unfortunately no space for it yet been too busy with other projects but will be first on the agenda for the weekend!!

20180717_103158.jpg

how did you attached the 3mm prob into the roaster ??

Like a boss

It's still a temp solution (but need to wait out my recovery after a little surgery of my thumb...): used a stack of rivets that went tightly over the probe and one another and into the original placements. Fixed by original grub screws. Works fine for 10 roasts now...!

When I return to using tools, I'll a. re-wire everything to better cope with interference and b. take some bolts (M12 I believe...), drill 3mm holes through the middle and try my luck again:)

says Hasi.

just get yourself an M12 to M3 reducer or whatever it is you need.

reducer.JPG

just get yourself an M12 to M3 reducer or whatever it is you need.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35574[/ATTACH]

Probes have straight 3mm flanks, no thread or anything. I put up an image at some point... but could still work by using an M4 (inner thread dia. 3.24mm).

Didn't realise (again) that there's always a solution somewhere, already :D

Thanks Dave!

says Hasi.