IGNORED

Dalian Amazon Experiences

NAJB

Further Ps.

As RDC8 points out above, you should have had a spare thermocouple supplied with your roaster by Bella Barista. If you are not using this one, check here :https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?26651-It-s-that-time-of-year-again-New-Roaster-coming-on-test/page22

for clearance measurements within the drum and/or contact DaveC on this forum to be certain.

Re reading the thread referred to above, it would seem this is covered in the 42 page guide that should have been supplied with your roaster. It would also seem some customers found they did not have the correct documents sent with the roaster.

Please see the post on this page:

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?26651-It-s-that-time-of-year-again-New-Roaster-coming-on-test/page21

If you did not get those three documents, you need to contact Bella Barista immediately. I am sure they will be able to help you.

(apologies to others---as the querry is from someone who has English as a second language, I am trying to give as much info as possible so he can avoid trouble)

the roaster is complete and came with cable and the yellow plug to connect to thermometer.

i have all the documents ok. Just a matter of language. But with your help it will be .

Here is link to our Facebook so you can see the roaster in place.

I will post some more picture tomorrow.

https://m.facebook.com/ElArcoLajares

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello

Just a quick one, could I have your recommendations for K type thermometers, so many on the market, I just need one that is accurate and reacts quick enough to keep up with temperature rises. if you are using one that works well, please advise,

Many thanks

M

Might be a little late, but quick reaction times might not be what you ultimately want in a temperature probe.

Especially with K-type sensors (known to be a bit erratic compared to PT100s), too thin a sheath can for instance make a bean mass probe wrongfully respond to changes in airflow while it should have reflected internal bean temp. Been there, done that :)

Secondly, roast logging software should be set to readout intervals of around 3-5s to create smooth curves with K-types. Together with data errors (packet loss) you may otherwise very well see a zig zag line that needs post-roast flattening. The latter being more destructive to the displayed information.

When aiming for solid profile curves, I'd stick to a 6mm (diameter) Inconel or stainless steel probe with a closed end. On the Dalian Amazon you should not exceed the original length (=40mm sheath, 50mm in total including a 10mm M8 thread) because of possible interference with rotating drum components. Depending on the application, you might need to keep in mind which connector it should feature.

No pinpoint advice, I know, but it really doesn't matter that much which make or brand you're buying, stay in mid-range (around 20-30 quid) and you're going to be fine!

Hi all. Very interesting to stumble over this thread and have a read of peoples experiences. I purchased one of the first batch in to the UK around 2 years back and I started my business with it. I roasted a LOT of coffee on this machine before I moved on to my current roaster. I only really have positive things to say about it.

I was fastidious with my cleaning routine and I also oiled bits regularly and it never let me down.

The only slight problem I suffered was a faulty probe at around the 18 month mark but that was a cheap fix and the machine still operated anyway. When I first got the machine the K-type thermocouple was wired the wrong way around but again very quick fix.

I had some beautiful coffee out of this machine and got a lot of business from it. I went from full time employment elsewhere with this roaster down to part and eventually fully sustained myself using this machine. I even won a Great Taste Award in 2017 with coffee roasted on it so I the machine is more than capable of awesome results.

I fully recommend this machine for the home roaster!

Just remembered, the supplied exhaust hose was pitiful, like tinfoil! Probable lasted a week at most. Not too big of a problem, decent stuff on ebay for under £10. I don't know if they have changed it now but I sincerely hope they have.

Edited by BlackCatCoffee
Update

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Alex Duetto and Alex Leva now in stock!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I've been roasting on the Dalian for almost a year, I started to roast manually so as to understand the process of both heat, airflow and the consequences, now I'm getting some great results. However the inevitable is upon me and its now time to hook up some software, I have the k type thermocouple that comes with the roaster, what do I need to hook up to a laptop. I guess I'll use the artisan software?

Many thanks

Hi all. Very interesting to stumble over this thread and have a read of peoples experiences. I purchased one of the first batch in to the UK around 2 years back and I started my business with it. I roasted a LOT of coffee on this machine before I moved on to my current roaster. I only really have positive things to say about it.

I was fastidious with my cleaning routine and I also oiled bits regularly and it never let me down.

The only slight problem I suffered was a faulty probe at around the 18 month mark but that was a cheap fix and the machine still operated anyway. When I first got the machine the K-type thermocouple was wired the wrong way around but again very quick fix.

I had some beautiful coffee out of this machine and got a lot of business from it. I went from full time employment elsewhere with this roaster down to part and eventually fully sustained myself using this machine. I even won a Great Taste Award in 2017 with coffee roasted on it so I the machine is more than capable of awesome results.

I fully recommend this machine for the home roaster!

Just remembered, the supplied exhaust hose was pitiful, like tinfoil! Probable lasted a week at most. Not too big of a problem, decent stuff on ebay for under £10. I don't know if they have changed it now but I sincerely hope they have.

I never ever used the supplied hose, I simply moulded the end of a bit of 100 mm aluminium ducting (the semi rigid extendible type) to fit the smaller outlet on the chaff collector. My run is short, so it works very well also doesn't restrict flow. For longer runs I would probably use something like this.

https://tinyurl.com/y8krzlk5

It's also nice to hear how well the roaster has worked for you...I also think it's an excellent roaster. not just very good value for money but I believe you could spend much more and get much less in the 1kg class in terms of it's performance. It gives a really even roast as well.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

• 1 month later...
Might be a little late, but quick reaction times might not be what you ultimately want in a temperature probe.

Especially with K-type sensors (known to be a bit erratic compared to PT100s), too thin a sheath can for instance make a bean mass probe wrongfully respond to changes in airflow while it should have reflected internal bean temp. Been there, done that :)

Secondly, roast logging software should be set to readout intervals of around 3-5s to create smooth curves with K-types. Together with data errors (packet loss) you may otherwise very well see a zig zag line that needs post-roast flattening. The latter being more destructive to the displayed information.

When aiming for solid profile curves, I'd stick to a 6mm (diameter) Inconel or stainless steel probe with a closed end. On the Dalian Amazon you should not exceed the original length (=40mm sheath, 50mm in total including a 10mm M8 thread) because of possible interference with rotating drum components. Depending on the application, you might need to keep in mind which connector it should feature.

No pinpoint advice, I know, but it really doesn't matter that much which make or brand you're buying, stay in mid-range (around 20-30 quid) and you're going to be fine!

Interesting been experimenting with different probes on my Quest - partly because it came with a variety from it's previous owner. But this process has also led me to an article by Scott Rao

https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2018/2/24/what-is-baked-coffee-most-pros-dont-know

He mentions that anything thicker than 3mm might struggle with picking up on ROR crashes especially in the development stage. Everything with a pinch of salt I know - something I'm learning with the Quest - no 2 roasters behave them same...

Yep, I was made aware of this blog just very recently and haven't picked up every detail of it, yet.

My (currently valid) opinion is that what you are seeing on a temp chart does not necessarily reflect exactly what happens in your beans.

Different probe types and designs behave differently and therefore mask one or another aspect. So far, coffee world hasn't found a perfect method...

Keep on roasting and making notes so you can build on your very own experience. That's what's most important, I believe.

Gaining in confidence, I decided to be brave and try roasting some Monsooned Malabar today. From my experiences with this bean in the Gene, I did this 900gms as the first batch to make use of the slower roast times that are typical of first batch. I sorted out a good handful of beans that were obvious defects and that included some that had been visited by Borer Beetle. There was a mix of sizes and even a fair proportion of Peaberry

All temperatures are in C. The controllers are set at AT 185 and RT 220. Other beans have been going into 1C at roughly 174C,

First observation of note, charge temps were RT 174 and AT 220. The drop in temp was dramatic---I have been expecting it to bottom out at about 150, the Malabar went down to 130 @2 mins. At 2.22' mins it started to rise.

With other beans I have had to regulate the temperature ROR using the dampers and the on off switch. With this Malabar, it was a straight run through with the SD pulled to 4cm @3mins (steam) and the CA open all the way throughout.

At 10 .40' and 166C came the first little pops, well in to 1/C at 11 mins.

On the basis of colour, 1/C appearing well over, and previous Malabar knowledge of how quick it goes over the top, I stopped the roast at 13.6'. I describe the colour as Medium with some beans to to Medium Dark.

First impressions......I am reasonably happy with it at the moment. There is a mix of browns, but given the beans nature and process, it is to be expected.

There was a 15.77% weight loss.

re above:

I tried the M-M this morning, 6.5 days after roasting.

There is the odd bean that has a small oil dot, but you really have to shake them about to find them.

In the cup, good, just as it should be.

Compared to the Gene, I have found with other coffees they have needed longer to degas and develop, so the next few days may see further improvement.

Nice!

Love to read about others who enjoy this roaster. It's such a satifsying little big machine :cool:

Compared to the Gene, I have found with other coffees they have needed longer to degas and develop, so the next few days may see further improvement.

I've been vacuum-sealing my beans for quite a while now using regular food sealer bags (no valve).

Since roasting on the Amazon I had to move away from sealing directly after cooling phase because it would give me unpleasantly sour notes in the cup. I had this happening even ten days after the roast, when freshly opened... it must have something to do with CO2-saturation and inside pressure that limits further processing/degassing.

Now I fill the bags, put them upright in a dark and calm spot for a rest, and only vac/seal within 4-8 hours. Doing so, I figured I can keep the taste defect away while not letting beans oxidate (CO2 being heavier than and therefore displacing air in upright bags). Interestingly, they do not start to inflate until 3 days into resting. After a week, I cut the bags open and immediately re-vac/seal. After another day or so, the bags show slight signs of inflation again.

In the end of the day it will be necessary to purchase proper valve bags... :)

As the Gene basically pushes hot air through its perforated drum, I can see this to be a reason for different developmental behaviour of the same beans - in addition to a more gentle treatment by a bigger/slower drum and the delay of conductive heat transfer in the Amazon...

The Malabar has improved and/or the tweaking of weight and grind has improved it. It is really very nice. I would recommend going through it for defects before roasting though.

In the same session I roasted this:

https://www.smallbatchroasting.co.uk/product-page/papua-new-guinea-a-x-korofeigu-coop

It is a 'new in' and here is a heads up!

Taste is subjective, but if you like this sort of coffee, it's extremely good value.

I am getting a great deal of pleasure from it and my brewing notes are 'excellent' and similar.

I am still yet to turn mine on. On a positive note through its home got planning permission approved by the council this week, so it being used is getting ever closer.

Are you building a shed of sorts? :cool: !!

Would you ming sharing a floorplan?

Sorry if this comes out sideways and all over the place as I am posting on the app.

I'm building a garage/workshop in my garden. I was always building this anyway due to owning a couple of old minis but I have decided that I will have a dedicated space for roasting seperate from the garage split with a partition wall.

It's standard brick/block construction but clad to match the house. I am doing this as if I move at any point I can get planning for it to be used as a annex and maximise my potential return on the property.

20180418_100052-01.jpg

This is grade A awesome!

As for the Minis, there should be room for at least one in every home :cool:

Never underestimate the power of the Three Point Turn (as famously shown by Austin Powers)

(while we're at it: RIP Verne Troyer...) Once you get the hang of it, you can fit as many Minis AND coffee roasters in this place as you can think of - well, almost... just as a side note.

Looking very much forward to following your progress...!