IGNORED

Dalian Amazon Experiences

NAJB

Gutted -  my pulley started squeaking a bit so gave the bearings a grease as per Dave's video but tonight i had to dump some mighty fine Papua New Guinea when the pulley slowed and almost stopped.  I took this video....any ideas guys? Simple as a new belt or something worse?

TIA!👍

Looks like either the motor (unlikely) or there is a small grub screw that grips the shaft in position. If the shaft was pushed or moved a bit whilst you were greasing the bearings it may rub and restrict the smooth turning. If you loosen, ensure the shaft is turning smoothly before tightening it could be ok. Worth trying as it only takes a couple of mins.

Thanks guys. I greased it as it stuck once before a week ago, so I don't think it's anything I've done since. I've sent the video over to Bella Barista so hopefully they can help. The belt is reasonable moveable so perhaps that or bearings. Are bearings easy to replace yourself? I can see loads of spares at BB although the belts are out of stock. I don't know whether to replace belt and bearings to be on the safe side 🤔 

Cheers again for the advice.👍

• 3 weeks later...

@AntepicI had a similar problem to this. @Stevebeementioned about the grub screws, and if I remember correctly that was the issue.

I didn’t fix it myself, mind you, I took it to Bella Barista as I live about half hour away. The screw had taken my shaft out of alignment and it kept coming to a stop.

Hope you get it sorted 

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

I thought I would like to try and improve my understanding of how my damper settings affect air-flow. So I was wondering if anyone has fitted a device to their Dalian to objectively measure this? (a magnehelic?) If so, could you share a few details of your setup; eg what you are using, where you have placed it, whether or not you have it hooked up to Artisan. All useful insights would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I'm getting more smoke than usual out of the vents at the rear of the drum. I've managed for a couple of sessions and it's starting to bother me.

Fan is working in it's little cage with no obstruction. Still pulling through the main duct and outside with lots of chaff collecting where it should.

It also kicks out some smoke when I use the tryer and when I dump. Obvs there is always a little but on the whole it makes me think there is some negative pull inside the drum itself.

I have regularly vaccumed under the cooler and through the CA but the duct is a little furry - is it likely back smoke up? A little nervous that the guy from Black Country Roasters had a bad fan experience earlier this year - although it appears omthe fan is fine.

I'm grateful for your thoughts

Many Thanks

Ant

Have you removed the fan from it's housing to check the blades? If they have become blocked then that will impede aid-flow even if the fan is spinning. You might also want to remove the stainless steel venting pipes at the rear of the  roaster (there are a couple of grub screws keeping them in place) to check for possible blockages; I use a toilet brush to remove any build-up of "fur" from the interior wall of the pipes.

• Like 1

• Remove vent tube place hand in front of fan outlet, is there a good strong flow?
  • Remove entire fan motor assembly and photograph
  • open metal box and check capacitor and photograph

If it's all good, then you have a restriction before the fan

• make sure cooling tray holes are not blocked
  • open cooling tray hatch, get mirror on a stick+torch and check where vents are near drum
  • close CA and fully open SD, you should feel a bit of a draw at the drum/tryer side of things
Edited by DavecUK

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

From my experience I've only ever get smoke out of the back vents if I don't open up SD at all. So beginning of roast when SD is closed, if I don't open it up early enough smoke will appear, but as soon as SD goes to 1 it disappears.

Makes me think as @RDC8 and @DavecUK mentions above I would do a complete maintenance on the roaster. When was the last time you performed a complete maintenance. Take all pipes off and clean, clean fan (which if caked with coffee will reduce air flow), clean pipework to the outside. Make sure there are no obstructions. Just wondering have you lubricated the spindle and drum recently - is it rotating fast enough?

On a side note does this happen on all beans or are a particular one? Some beans smoke more than others so have you tried opening SD / close CA dampers right at the end to help remove excess smoke?

@AntepicWe had this exact problem about a year ago and when @DavecUKwalked us through everything it was a blown capacitor. So the fan was working, but not at adequate speed. New capacitor (I think up-rated, if I remember Dave's advice correctly...) sorted it. 

The Black Country Coffee Roastery
www.coffeebythecasuals.com - Discount Code: CFUK21
Instagram: @casuals_coffee