IGNORED

Dalian Amazon Experiences

NAJB

Hi @RDC8 - will take a look.

On another note regarding Artisan does anyone know if it is possible to display the BT temp while "Off". Currently I start logging, but when it nears charge temperature have to Reset the display. Would be great if I could display the BT temperature always and not just while logging.

Thanks

Phil.

Just finished setting the buttons up here, sorry for the camera shot rather than screen shot.

Everything seems to work nicely. Setup a mid point on the burn and off as flicking through any more than 3 or 4 settings is quite time consuming. 20210102_162329.jpg

On 01/01/2021 at 17:29, Antepic said:

Hi, just after some advice about connecting my Dalian Amazon up to Artisan (or any progs you might recommend for logging)

There is a probe coming out of the roaster situated next to the main temp gauge dial on and gives an accurate air temp reading on a grey Blue Therm Duo unit rather than the red RHS display. Images attached.

Do I simply need a USB lead  to connect from the the Blue Therm (2nd pic) into my Mac? I tried this once but Artisan didn't seem to recognise it? Im.pretty sure the probe part is correct but perhaps I need to plug the probe into a different bit of kit?

Many thanks

IMG_20201125_180553.jpg

IMG_20201125_180607.jpg

IMG_20201125_180544.jpg

Not sure if Artisan is compatible with this device. When I had one with my Quest - I used it with Roastmaster on my iPad and used it via Bluetooth. 
If you want to go down the Artisan route - I’d suggest looking at a Phidgets set up with Vint Hub will allow more flexibility in the long run,

Hi, just after some advice about connecting my Dalian Amazon up to Artisan (or any progs you might recommend for logging)
There is a probe coming out of the roaster situated next to the main temp gauge dial on and gives an accurate air temp reading on a grey Blue Therm Duo unit rather than the red RHS display. Images attached.
Do I simply need a USB lead  to connect from the the Blue Therm (2nd pic) into my Mac? I tried this once but Artisan didn't seem to recognise it? Im.pretty sure the probe part is correct but perhaps I need to plug the probe into a different bit of kit?

Many thanks

IMG_20201125_180553.thumb.jpg.8e0b5e416e591385ba74b1e30827a9af.jpg
IMG_20201125_180607.thumb.jpg.330f2dc17ca52008aa678e461cd0e772.jpg
IMG_20201125_180544.thumb.jpg.e29813ed067f82f15958b4fd2c8b118c.jpg
It will need some kind of setup in artisan (devices) but as per the above, unsure if the BlueTherm is compatible with Artisan.

When you tried it did you setup a device or just plug in? Equally did you turn Artisan on or just load it up?

After recently falling down the logging rabbit hole, I agree with the above and setting up a phidgets system. I've only done a few roasts now with the phidget setup but things make a bit more sense now, the factory PT100 sensors on my roaster don't seem very accurate or are too thick to react quick enough as they seem to be reporting FC way early (175c ish)

I still roast to my senses but the logging adds some learning for me and also gives me a system for batch traceability.

Hi @RDC8, Bit of an odd question, but I've spent the evening looking at it and cannot find an answer. Thought I'd ask just in case I've missed something. Having spent the evening configuring Artisan and I've got a query with how the SD and CD values are displayed. I've configured them the same as yours, but on the display all my values are hugged to the bottom of the graph, whereas you have more clearly defined steps. Just finding mine is not clear. Do you have an additional setting set that allows the position of the CD and SD on the graph to appear differently?

image.thumb.png.648dd909b13a12afdfbec0dab6ce598a.png

Thanks

Phil.

Ahhh ... yes, there was another setting which I now remember.

In the Axes dialog there is field "100% event step" which increases (or decreases) the visual representation of the event values as a proportion of the overall graph. I have mine set at 600. Screen shot below.

event axes.png

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2020 at 22:34, Beeroclock said:

Hi Rob 

remember you’re measuring negative air pressure in the drum, but I’ve installed a cheap fuel filter in the path to be sure.

1651BBDF-3B5A-4AD3-B90D-75211F6784CB.thumb.jpeg.04661581c615ca1d5dd613931e550179.jpeg

There are a number of people over on HB who have installed these..

I recently redid my exhaust flue and installed twin wall stainless steel flue straight run up and out through a flat roof. 
This really helped me to judge how my airflow was affected.

It’s also handy to see what’s happening when roasting on a windy day. How is one’s exhaust being affected? I was definitely getting a backdraft issue on occasions. Now have a proper Swedish Cowl - much more stable.46391DB4-2426-44C7-9968-7657DF1B6470.thumb.jpeg.b10d10e8e483779a01971e5a9eeb0e84.jpeg

Cheers Phil

I've followed your lead and ordered the pressure sensor. I've been looking at in line filters on ebay and found a fair few but I'm want to order tubing to connect it all together. Specs for the pressure sensor suggest a 2.38mm fitting so I'll need a 2.38mm ID tube. I've found M5 barb connectors I'll be able to stick in place of one of the bolts on the face of the roaster and presumably I'll be looking for a female to male 2.38mm barb and I'll just have to match up the female connection to the barb of whatever I fit onto the roaster.....any chance you remember where you got your filter and connecting things from to save me time wading through the search results for the right stuff?

Hi Rob 

Fuel filters came from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07D9DBZB6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

tube and adaptors I had from a job lot I bought with some Magnehelics off eBay.

I would look to get a feed off the bean chute and measure the air being pulled through the exhaust. But this would probably mean drilling and tapping a hole, which I appreciate you might not want to do.

cheers Phil

• Thanks 1

To avoid drilling into the roaster I guess I could look into adding a small spacer to the top of the bean chute where the funnel with the stopper fits into that I could drill into and take off from there.

Hi All

What maximum charge temps are you comfortable with? (assuming you have installed a more sensitive  probe into the drum rather than relying on the reading from the factory-supplied probe/ewelly readings).

I roast in an un-heated garage ,where my greens are stored also, and have been increasing my charge temps as the weather has been getting colder. However, I don't want to risk scorching the beans. I charged a roast at 198c earlier in the week, my hottest charge so far, but still struggled to achieve and maintain momentum. (This was for a high altitude, washed, Peru)

Could I safely go higher without scorching? Any thoughts/insights appreciated.

Happy to hear what non-Dalian users are doing also, but am aware that as it is electric powered, and has a perforated, single-layer drum, it may behave differently to other designs.

Thanks in advance

Hi All
What maximum charge temps are you comfortable with? (assuming you have installed a more sensitive  probe into the drum rather than relying on the reading from the factory-supplied probe/ewelly readings).
I roast in an un-heated garage ,where my greens are stored also, and have been increasing my charge temps as the weather has been getting colder. However, I don't want to risk scorching the beans. I charged a roast at 198c earlier in the week, my hottest charge so far, but still struggled to achieve and maintain momentum. (This was for a high altitude, washed, Peru)
Could I safely go higher without scorching? Any thoughts/insights appreciated.
Happy to hear what non-Dalian users are doing also, but am aware that as it is electric powered, and has a perforated, single-layer drum, it may behave differently to other designs.

Thanks in advance

I charged at 211 the other day (3mm phidget probe in door hinge) it was too hot but first roast with the phidgets setup and didn't have full trust in it. The pt100 was showing 170ish from memory at the same time.

No scorching so I got away with it. Beans were Ethiopian 1840-2130 masl, amb temp 13.5c. I've one more batch of this to roast so I will be charging at 185 on the 3mm probe.

9 hours ago, Ted_Kent said:

amb temp 13.5c.

I was roasting in 6.5c ambient on Monday so fighting the heat loss. Because of the nature of the shed - a single tilt-a-door egress - it is virtually impossible to heat it up in any meaningful way. Need to fill some orders over the weekend so don't expect to break 4c ambient! I have an old oil-column heater that I will try to warm up the shed for an hour or so before starting to roast. Will need to have it switched off during the roasting as I will probably need all the power dedicated to the roasting elements.

9 hours ago, Dartmoor Coffee said:

Is it possible for you to bring in the beans

SWMBO may have a fit if I start lugging in random buckets to sit in the hall! Might have to disguise them as something else first!

• 4 weeks later...

Odd experience with the chaff collector yesterday while doing 5 back-to-back roasts. 

I noticed a fair bit of chaff blowing out the exhaust - didn't really pay too much attention at the time. However, at the end of the roasting session I went to empty the chaff drawer and found it pretty much empty. After 5 batches - 2 naturals and 3 washed coffees, I would have expected a fair bit of chaff to have collected.

I have taken the impeller off the top of the cyclone to see if there is any clearly visible blockage - the fan blades are clean and the inside of the cyclone looks clear.

Has any one else experienced this before? Any ideas as to why the chaff is being blow out the exhaust rather than settling in the collector?

There doesn't seem to be any issue with the overall airflow through the roaster.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, RDC8 said:

Odd experience with the chaff collector yesterday while doing 5 back-to-back roasts. 

I noticed a fair bit of chaff blowing out the exhaust - didn't really pay too much attention at the time. However, at the end of the roasting session I went to empty the chaff drawer and found it pretty much empty. After 5 batches - 2 naturals and 3 washed coffees, I would have expected a fair bit of chaff to have collected.

I have taken the impeller off the top of the cyclone to see if there is any clearly visible blockage - the fan blades are clean and the inside of the cyclone looks clear.

Has any one else experienced this before? Any ideas as to why the chaff is being blow out the exhaust rather than settling in the collector?

There doesn't seem to be any issue with the overall airflow through the roaster.

Thanks in advance

Does your vent point into wind?

Do you always have the cooling tray damper  fully open unless on the rare occasion you might need to close it a bit to get air through the drum?

Is your airflow as strong as normal (might be worth visually checking the fan capacitor?

• Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.