IGNORED

Dalian Amazon Experiences

NAJB

so Delta span is 5s, sampling is 1s and after cupping (actually all fairly similar with not particularly nice Congo old beans):

4 best, followed by 6 then 7 

4 some lemon acidity and not as bitter finish as 6.  7 is just a bit soft and a weaker flavour overall. 

Image showing 4 (on top) vs 6 as direct comparison as FYI.

What is AUC? (area under curve?) and how do you make use?

Wj1603671621_Screenshot2019-08-15at10_26_47.thumb.png.3b97cbbd564a04b7b3f4d8154b4c7cee.png

• 4 weeks later...

So any tactics for approaching FC and preventing a small crash and soft flick?

Roast 12 I tried a softer start with a soak, and this does not taste as good - I was trying to slow the approach in to FC.

I know the logic on a gas machine of not putting more gas in to compensate for the crash and the logic of letting the roast run into FC without any gas or major air changes within 1m-45s. 

Apart from that I can't seem to find any techniques or advice that explains some tactics or approaches for managing this aspect?

Thoughts?

[ note ET on roast 11 and 12 is actually a 3mm RTD in the original probe location, and Drum temp is the K type in this location to RHS of drum ] I use a bean temp probe location lower down - stealing a lower mounting hole in the sight glass.84888762_Screenshot2019-09-13at07_25_34.thumb.png.7e135ce119d7fc82f24e5e2c2fd950eb.png155739453_Screenshot2019-09-13at07_23_55.thumb.png.8b3a0b7b46923787bea111a9a968dc1e.png1816232764_Screenshot2019-09-13at07_24_28.thumb.png.080e0d204971c66d5b4aee314211612e.png

• 4 weeks later...

We fired ours up in anger about two hours ago and did some back-to-back roasts. We are super impressed. The one issue we now have is ventilation. We have the hose out of the window, but the plume of smoke took me completely by surprise. There's far more smoke than when roasting with the Gene Cafe CBR1200. Only one of our batches will make it into our mugs because Dave from Crankhouse very kindly gave me some junk beans a little while ago and we finally got round to using them as the first couple of kilos through the roaster.

Any useful machinery for ventilation? I don't think a wall fan is gonna do it...

I’m getting huge plumes of smoke for five mins or more. The roaster is housed about 7m from the house and the smoke is perceptible from at least that distance. Our neighbours are going to be pretty upset!
unless you guys supply them, that is. [emoji56]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filthynines said:

It won't work, you need quite an expensive electrostatic air scrubber and they only work up to a point, the other solution is an afterburner, but you wouldn't like the gas costs or installation requirements. It should produce no more smoke than the CBR1200 1Kg, but of course it's more visible because it's not mixed with so much air. I also wonder if you are roasting far too hot and burning a lot of the chaff rather than it falling off and going in the draw, this also negatively affects the taste of the coffee. If your using the supplied vent hose, then you are almost certainly getting things too hot.

• Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

25 minutes ago, filthynines said:

Off to Wickes on Monday!

I only used Wickes as an example, I have no financial interest in Wickes, so you might find it cheaper or nearer but it's where I got mine from.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

10 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I only used Wickes as an example, I have no financial interest in Wickes, so you might find it cheaper or nearer but it's where I got mine from.

Possibly for ducting it isn’t essential, but I tend to prefer buying the stuff that others before me have already tried and tested 

13 minutes ago, filthynines said:

Response from BB is that it seems all of those pipes are the wrong size, and can we cut it down this end? Not really. Earthing strap on its way though.

The roaster should have been all connected up to it's chaff collector and functionally checked before being sent out?

As for cutting down, you might well find there is a slip over collar welded on each end of that pipe so you can't just cut it down. If there is no collar and just a pipe end, then yeah you could cut it down with a full size hacksaw, hard work as the steel will be tough, probably take 5 minutes or so.

What are you going to do?

Edited by DavecUK

5 hours ago, DavecUK said:

The roaster should have been all connected up to it's chaff collector and functionally checked before being sent out?

As for cutting down, you might well find there is a slip over collar welded on each end of that pipe so you can't just cut it down. If there is no collar and just a pipe end, then yeah you could cut it down with a full size hacksaw, hard work as the steel will be tough, probably take 5 minutes or so.

What are you going to do?

Nope - after my brother specifically arranged (not dictated) a date to collect we arrived early afternoon to be told they weren’t expecting us. The roaster was tested, but definitely not with our chaff collector attached because it was in a sealed box and the pipe was wrapped in lots of cellophane. The roaster was warm when we took it away.

We’re now told that an earthing strap isn’t available either - the manufacturer doesn’t supply them.

For now it’s a further email in response asking for a different proposal. It’s not fit for purpose as it stands. Even if we’re happy to botch together a solution, we then have to persuade whoever buys it when we’re finished that it’s an acceptable way to operate it.

I’ll be honest, we’re not experiencing the famous Bella Barista service at the moment. Very pleasant to deal with, but it hasn’t been straightforward.

Edited by filthynines

One consolation assuming you keep the roaster, it produces a very nice roast assuming the rest of it's working fine and you get the issue with the pipe sorted.

I had a longer possibly more helpful reply but with the way the forum has been lately...I thought the better of it and scrubbed it before posting.

One consolation assuming you keep the roaster, it produces a very nice roast assuming the rest of it's working fine and you get the issue with the pipe sorted.
I had a longer possibly more helpful reply but with the way the forum has been lately...I thought the better of it and scrubbed it before posting.
PM it to them, I'm sure they'll appreciate your input!

For the time being, I'd put something flat and solid underneath cyclone/chaff collector (like a piece of wood) to correct cyclone inlet height. 11mm is not much really. It wouldn't perceivably affect performance and get you guys started.

As for the missing earth wire, it simply attaches to one of screws on cyclone bottom and to lower right screw of lower roaster back panel. You could do it yourself pretty easily. I'd recommend to test with a multimeter for condutivity on different blank spots (screws) on roaster and cyclone after mounting earth wire.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1