NAJB

Dalian Amazon Experiences

I just finished doing 2 roasts with my Dalian.

Whilst the roaster was cooling down, I opened the drawer to the chaff collector and had a big surprise.

The last roast was a Yirgacheffe, which is always very 'chaffy'...but this is the first time that the chaff has actually had smouldering bits in it. The whole top layer was burnt...underneath was the usual brown chaff.

I feel that it could have been quite dangerous...and that I was lucky that the chaff didn't actually ignite. The thing is, I didn't do anything different to the other 170 roasts that I have done with my Dalian. The only difference is that now I have a 100mm flue connected via an adaptor.

It could be that I simply had too much chaff in the tray before I started roasting today. I normally empty the tray after each session (2-4 roasts)...There was perhaps the chaff from 4 roasts in there before I did the 2 today..so possibly 6 roasts altogether.4 

Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas what I did wrong?

Burning chaff 16-7-19.jpg

Adaptor for cyclone.GIF

Edited by Paolo5
Added more information

1. take off vent motor for a good clean
2. open service gate underneath cooling tray and look inside CA damper duct - vacuum clean any residue

and you should be doing fine again

One thing that I do after every roast (mentioned somewhere above) is fully closing both dampers, then opening one, closing again, opening the other, closing again. Repeat couple times. This will clear out internal ducts, heating elements and damper flaps due to negative pressure building up from vent fan. Then empty chaff tray and be amazed!

• Like 1

Hi Hasi,

Thanks for that information.

I cleaned the vent motor and surround not too long ago but it will do it again tomorrow.

I haven't checked inside the CA damper duct (ever)...so that is obviously long overdue.

I will start up the roaster tomorrow and try the damper opening/closing as you suggested.

Depending on how recently you've increased the size of the ducting, it could just be chaff which was caught somewhere finally making it's way to the collector.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Thanks, ashcroc. You could be spot-on there.

Time will tell. I will be very wary of the chaff collecting in the drawer after the next roast or two.

Quick question, I was doing a roast yesterday and after about 6 mins (projected FC at about 9,30) I had a power cut......

I got the Co2 extinguisher ready nearby, and hopefully checked the consumer unit for a tripped RCD, but it was the supply into the property. I turned off the power switch in case it came back on.

got going again after about 1 minute, and no drama (apart from a spoiled batch of beans)......

WHAT SHOULD/COULD YOU DO IN CASE OF POWER CUT??

R

Quick question, I was doing a roast yesterday and after about 6 mins (projected FC at about 9,30) I had a power cut......
I got the Co2 extinguisher ready nearby, and hopefully checked the consumer unit for a tripped RCD, but it was the supply into the property. I turned off the power switch in case it came back on.
got going again after about 1 minute, and no drama (apart from a spoiled batch of beans)......
WHAT SHOULD/COULD YOU DO IN CASE OF POWER CUT??
R
It may not be enough to save the roast, but a UPS may give you long enough to shut down safely.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

It may not be enough to save the roast, but a UPS may give you long enough to shut down safely.
that be a good idea, if you cut heating elements the machine only uses minor wattage for drum and fan. Lots of time to dump and cool.

6min into the roast nothing will happen. Only well after first crack you'd see a heat build-up that has potential to ignite beans or damage parts of your roaster.

a35568b5a067807480f2d3d42961b9e5.jpg

Was looking for a bit of advice on this. Underneath my chaff collection tray there is a lot of chaff (after roasting 3kg). Does this look like a normal amount.m, and what is the best way to clean under the tray. A vacuum cleaner with a long nozzle or can the tray come off?

I have a handheld vac with long and flexible nozzle, will reach behind CA damper flap no problem

Deending on bean and roasting style this is quite normal. What's your damper positions during cooling?

I have a handheld vac with long and flexible nozzle, will reach behind CA damper flap no problem

Deending on bean and roasting style this is quite normal. What's your damper positions during cooling?

I think I have it around 7/8 when cooling. I also still have the 3 inch flue, being replaced with a 4” flue today as it happens, so don’t know if this will make a difference to the chaff being extracted out the flue.

both dampers open?

if you close SD, CA will pull more air and therefore suck more chaff into cyclone.

I do at least 3 sessions (min. 35-40kg total) before vacuuming underneath cooling tray. no issues with build-up there.

both dampers open?

if you close SD, CA will pull more air and therefore suck more chaff into cyclone.

I do at least 3 sessions (min. 35-40kg total) before vacuuming underneath cooling tray. no issues with build-up there.

Jeez!!! Cool I’ll try that tonight after fitting the wider flue. It’s maybe to do with the SD being partially open.

Thanks@hasi
  • Like 1

Just to add that some beans are more "chaffy" than others - so keep an eye on how quickly it builds up. If you change the origin and/or processing method you may need to change your cleaning routines.

I assume the photo was of the chaff under the cooling tray? I vacuumed mine out this week for the first time in about 6 months - surprisingly little buil-up. But the chaff drawer under the cyclone is emptied at the end of each roasting session, sometimes even during the session if I have a large quota to fill! 

• Like 1

Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon

Hello everyone,

comments welcome, cupping tomorrow BUT these are very old beans that I am using to understand how the software and hardware work - not for real profile development. I am still struggling to find a strategy to manage crash + flick, and wanted anyone's thoughts / POV as I play around with old beans.

As you can see I am opening air Damper (slowly) approaching and after FC and decreasing heat as FC approaches (I have a variable heat adjuster). Cooling always at 80mm fully open.

Roast 4 and 6 pretty similar.

Roast 7 was an attempt to slow roast down and enter FC without the same thermal inertia. 

(Note BT probe is deeper (lower) in bean pile than the original location (in fact Roast 7 shows ET in the original BT probe location as current ET reading to have a look/compare)

1201421854_Screenshot2019-08-14at14_48_30.thumb.png.7b4596cc59221d4a6a197d606ed44378.png1184430906_Screenshot2019-08-14at14_57_09.thumb.png.82f15bcb74233f07ed27444b0d6ab7f4.png

682713621_Screenshot2019-08-14at14_47_30.thumb.png.872de764d504f996b702fa0aa6424c05.png

Rich

Congrats! ...pretty solid input you've got there, telling from deltaBT curve. What's your sampling rate and delta span settings now?

Regarding crash&co. according to Scott Rao: you have a baked roast when you taste one, not necessarily when (you think) you've spotted one in your graph. I mean, there's obvious signs such as a real stall or decline in roasting temp, but especially around 1C start you need to develop a feeling for your machine whether or not you can trust readings. Because - and that's the dangerous part of high resolution logging - beans absorb quite a bit of heat prior to 1C to eventually release it suddenly upon bursting open. If one of these effects happen in direct adjacency of your thin and super sensitive probe, guess what you see on screen a second later?

Thus, you should interpret readings relative to your settings and probes. For instance, if your sampling rate is 2s and your delta span is 6s, a delta of 0 means you had one or two negative values in your data set. But without knowing previous readings you cannot determine how much it'll point downwards 2s later. This is where the fancypants new idea of AUC comes in handy. But you wouldn't really need it visualised if you're paying attention

Keep it coming mate!

so Delta span is 5s, sampling is 1s and after cupping (actually all fairly similar with not particularly nice Congo old beans):

4 best, followed by 6 then 7 

4 some lemon acidity and not as bitter finish as 6.  7 is just a bit soft and a weaker flavour overall. 

Image showing 4 (on top) vs 6 as direct comparison as FYI.

What is AUC? (area under curve?) and how do you make use?

Wj1603671621_Screenshot2019-08-15at10_26_47.thumb.png.3b97cbbd564a04b7b3f4d8154b4c7cee.png

This is interesting extraction results from the cupping 11.5g / 180g water. EK43 grind at 10 on 3fe scale.

roast 4 23.1%

roast 6 22.62%

roast 7 21.22%

supporting the theory better extraction is desirable 9and better developed coffee

R

• Like 1

@tonescout what batch sizes are you using?

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Cafelat Robot  Grinders : Compak R120, Compak E10, Mythos One Clima Pro, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47, OE Apex

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

So any tactics for approaching FC and preventing a small crash and soft flick?

Roast 12 I tried a softer start with a soak, and this does not taste as good - I was trying to slow the approach in to FC.

I know the logic on a gas machine of not putting more gas in to compensate for the crash and the logic of letting the roast run into FC without any gas or major air changes within 1m-45s. 

Apart from that I can't seem to find any techniques or advice that explains some tactics or approaches for managing this aspect?

Thoughts?

[ note ET on roast 11 and 12 is actually a 3mm RTD in the original probe location, and Drum temp is the K type in this location to RHS of drum ] I use a bean temp probe location lower down - stealing a lower mounting hole in the sight glass.84888762_Screenshot2019-09-13at07_25_34.thumb.png.7e135ce119d7fc82f24e5e2c2fd950eb.png155739453_Screenshot2019-09-13at07_23_55.thumb.png.8b3a0b7b46923787bea111a9a968dc1e.png1816232764_Screenshot2019-09-13at07_24_28.thumb.png.080e0d204971c66d5b4aee314211612e.png

We fired ours up in anger about two hours ago and did some back-to-back roasts. We are super impressed. The one issue we now have is ventilation. We have the hose out of the window, but the plume of smoke took me completely by surprise. There's far more smoke than when roasting with the Gene Cafe CBR1200. Only one of our batches will make it into our mugs because Dave from Crankhouse very kindly gave me some junk beans a little while ago and we finally got round to using them as the first couple of kilos through the roaster.

Any useful machinery for ventilation? I don't think a wall fan is gonna do it...

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

I’m getting huge plumes of smoke for five mins or more. The roaster is housed about 7m from the house and the smoke is perceptible from at least that distance. Our neighbours are going to be pretty upset!

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

I’m getting huge plumes of smoke for five mins or more. The roaster is housed about 7m from the house and the smoke is perceptible from at least that distance. Our neighbours are going to be pretty upset!
unless you guys supply them, that is.
  • Like 1