NAJB

Dalian Amazon Experiences

Hey quick follow up on the probes, the front bean probe is secured by sliding in and a side grub screw and is easy to determine the size of (40mm protruding) but the rear seems to be screwed in directly - before I turn and find out otherwise, do you recall how you removed this for the swap out?
Image attached. Thanks,
Rich
IMG_20190624_185257164.thumb.jpg.e213d77b7ae1dff71211d755c37f0359.jpg

If you still decide to also swap AT probe for dual: they're exactly the same, only AT is screwed in whereas BT is secured by a grub screw.
To loosen AT probe, first completely undo all wiring and wind it up or cable torsion will play tricks on you

On 17/06/2019 at 19:32, Choffter said:

Looking good@tonescout. Something I have noticed is that I find it easier to collect the bean from the cooling tray when there is a drop off the edge of the table. Maybe you have a better bowl for collecting them in but something to bear in mind if you have not considered it?

Get one of these. Fits under the exit chute on the Dalian, put on the scale and pour the beans into your storage container.

Quick and simple and works. For my 5kg I dump straight into a bucket but for my Dalian and Gene 1200 I use these.

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/rattleware-1kg-scoop

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

I have just finished 3 roasts with the 4" flu installed.

As the flue is construced with a wire embedded into the aluminium material and spiralling along the flue's length, the end really doesn't want to compress from its 4" to the smaller diameter Dalian flange. I tried several times and settled after nipping the 'spine' in several places in the end (to break its 4" integrity a bit) that I was trying to mate up to the Dalian flange. In order to tighten the hose clamp enough to have the flue remain in place, it meant that the aluminium tore each time... resulting in a smoke leak. I threw a coffee bean bag over the leak help keep the smoke inside the flu.

There must be a more effective way of doing this...but I can't think of it. HELP!! Any ideas?

Does Dalian make the correct size flange for a 4" flue?

I perservered with the smoke and the roasting anyway and found that (for the same beans/quantity/settings that I always start a roast) the ROR was a bit higher (1C) than with the OE flue. The roasting temperature tended to increase more readily in general. I found myself making more adjustments to the 'Cooling Air' to reduce the ROR than with the OE flue. During the 3rd roast I was able to control the ROR that was getting away from me a bit by using the power control that I installed a few years back.

It was kind of like driving a different car for the first time..the inputs are similar...but different.

The roasts all look really good. The proof will be in the tasting.

• Like 1

Go onto google and type in "ducting reducer aluminium" and look at the images. I forget where mine came from as it's several years old but basically you put the 4" end into the ducting you bought (tape together) and the 3" end over the Dalian exit pipe but it doesn't need taping (smoke doesn't leak out and my Dalian being on a trolley means in case of roaster fire it won't stop me wheeling the roaster outside). You don't cut the ducting itself.

Ducting-1.jpg

Ducting-2.jpg

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

So here is my set up atm, and I still can't get the Air Temp up to the recommended 240 Deg C

My wattage is 

It's alway the RT probe that switches off the heater 215 Deg C maximum really on AT. I could never get 180 as the driver for the heater control is the RT gauge.

What do you think / do I need to go to 100mm earlier on the exit (I vent over roof into trees to prevent possible complaints from smell etc.) Is the exhaust my problem?

I go 80mm out through cabin, turn at 80mm and then move to 100mm as per the images.

IMG_20190626_145658896.jpg

IMG_20190626_145742865_HDR.jpg

Just taking this vent exit off (which is to stop critters entering...) and having another look at temp on 2cmSD 8cmCA.

Nope... cutting at RT=195, and AT just 198 now, once heater cuts thermal inertia takes this to RT=196 AT=201

Any suggestions?

R

Posted (edited)

The air temp is not recommended to reach 240C? that's the point I programmed the controller to go off and act as a second off switch..."it's the feck me it's getting hot in that drum point". Please don't try to get air temp to 240C, that's not really an objective.

p.S. If you have the roaster working correctly, all that heatproofing isn't necessary, even the steel pipe before the chaff collector won't be hot enough to burn your hand, let alone after? In fact the motor casing will be hotter than the rest of the pipework.

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

ok - thanks.

The heat proofing was just a way of supporting the pipe through the oversize hole, and I have not cut it off and tidied it up yet, so agreed and noted.

Do you think I need to re engineer with 100mm throughout or will this 80mm be fine to begin with.

Your Quickstart guide suggests 235 Deg C for AT with RT at 180 - I just can't get anything like that?

R

16 minutes ago, tonescout said:

ok - thanks.

The heat proofing was just a way of supporting the pipe through the oversize hole, and I have not cut it off and tidied it up yet, so agreed and noted.

1. Do you think I need to re engineer with 100mm throughout or will this 80mm be fine to begin with.

2. Your Quickstart guide suggests 235 Deg C for AT with RT at 180 - I just can't get anything like that?

1. 100mm all the way.

2. Only worry about RT, the AT is the upper limit, other than that it has no impact.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Dave, 

21 hours ago, DavecUK said:

1. 100mm all the way.

2. Only worry about RT, the AT is the upper limit, other than that it has no impact.

Thanks for advice - all sorted at 100mm (images attached)

I have just followed the warm up process in the quick start guide and this is what I end up with as temperatures (I have also connected the K type to a fluke, and swapped this to the left hand location with the PT100 now in RHS hole so that when I next roast the K-Type is in the bean mass. I am not roasting with this yet in this position as i want to save the trial beans until I have connected everything in Artisan.

I end up with the following as it cycles in and out of Heat from RT-PT100 sensor:

I can't get anywhere near the guidelines in the quick start guide (180 / 235 ) I know this was in a low ambient temp.

21 Deg C ambient and 2550 W for power draw.

Thoughts?

IMG_20190627_142911882_HDR.thumb.jpg.70f3a784149018d0dea60d977dd2347c.jpg

minutes KType RT AT
0 24 24 24
3 41 36 37
6 85 77 68
9 148 129 110
10 165 145 123
13 219 199 180
16 209 201 191
19 199 193 189
22 204 196 194
25 205 197 195
28 202 193 193
31 208 198 196
34 203 193 191

IMG_20190627_142958812.jpg

I can't remember exactly;y what I wrote, it was years ago and for my roaster really.

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

I can't remember exactly;y what I wrote, it was years ago and for my roaster really.

10minutes at CA fully open and SD closed
15 minutes CA fully open and SD 2cm

resulting in RT = 180, AT = 235.  mine is RT=197, AT=195 

I only want to confirm that everything is OK based upon an apparent temperature difference from the guide of 40 Deg C for the AT.

Could it be the new vents in the bottom plate....?

R

Posted (edited)

Deleted

Edited by PaulL

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tonescout said:

10minutes at CA fully open and SD closed
15 minutes CA fully open and SD 2cm

resulting in RT = 180, AT = 235.  mine is RT=197, AT=195 

I only want to confirm that everything is OK based upon an apparent temperature difference from the guide of 40 Deg C for the AT.

Could it be the new vents in the bottom plate....?

R

Nah, I checked mine and I have the same vents after all. I think I need to revisit the documentation when I have time and perhaps try and update those logs a bit or make them clearer. Also to reference the fact that the differences in roasters exist and the supplied vent tube should not really be used. Trouble is no one pays me to do it....so it's not a massive priority and a lot of work to go through the documentation.

Your temps look OK, just adjust to suit your voltage, ventilation and ambient temp settings and don't worry too much about AT, that's a sort of safety thing nothing. Just for every ones benefit, the temp on AT can be influenced by how much you open the SD. It's more a fire overheat type of thing.

So try SD closed for 8 minutes, then perhaps open to 3cm.... etc..

Edited by DavecUK

42 minutes ago, PaulL said:

For the number of owners of Dalian and other roasters there seem to be very few roast logs shared. I know roasting is a closely guarded secret in the commercial world but it shouldn't be like that with enthusiasts and I have always assumed apathy to be honest.

Personally I typically roast once each time (for personal consumption) rather than batches back to back and over time (about 3 years and 150 roasts) this is loosely my approach. I'm sure this is buried somewhere in previous pages but it doesn't matter.

1. 25 min warm up at perhaps 1600w in cold weather and 1400w in hot weather (power modded UK proptotype roaster) aiming for thoroughly warmed roaster at consistent bean load temp

2. SD at 30mm and CA fully open and the 1400/1600w retained for 4 mins

3. Power to max at 4min, SD opened to 40mm/50mm depending on temp indiciations through to about 10 or 11 min

4. Power dropped to about 1500w when I anticipate 1st crack arriving a min later

5. Power off about 30s after 1st crack is gong and SD opened to 60mm/90mm depending on intensity of 1st crack/bean so the roast doesn't run away

6. tryer checked every 15/20secs for colour/toads etc. aiming to end typically as 2nd crack arrives

7. Cooled roast emptied straight into container on scales and net weight typically between 840/850g

Now, there may be better ways to roast but, as I say, there is very little info shared it seems.

The only problem with this Paul is you have the original roaster (the first test one) before I redesigned things and the redesigned roasters don't work anything like the same as yours for the same settings. It's not just a bit different but very different. None of the standard roasters would roast at 1400 to 1600W. So nothing you share is much use to them.

No worries.

The only problem with this Paul is you have the original roaster (the first test one) before I redesigned things and the redesigned roasters don't work anything like the same as yours for the same settings. It's not just a bit different but very different. None of the standard roasters would roast at 1400 to 1600W. So nothing you share is much use to them.
That's interesting, you mean starting out at that wattage?
Because I dim my elements to these values throughout the roast (with some beans at least), but going full throttle in the beginning.

Sharing roast logs only makes sense if you're sharing beans along, if you ask me. Chances are you're not able to secure certain stock at certain times or different places etc.
I've posted a typical profile somewhere above (Artisan screenshot, not toooo long ago) to illustrate where flaps and power input are at. Maybe that's of some help for beginners...

Hasi,

Yes it will be useful - thanks.

For everyone also, here is my set up with variable heater control following Dave's guidelines - I put mine on the front panel as you can see. The packaging (just) works to provide free clearance to the CA and SD mechanisms.

R

IMG_20190628_145925291.jpg

IMG_20190628_145946616.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

I was thinking it might be possible to use this as a tap for drum pressure reading?

Any ideas?

R

IMG_20190703_141205328.jpg

Yes, time to stop thinking for a while and just keep roasting....

• Haha 1