(in between us wobbling around the track)

Why do I not believe that! Flying, more like, just not at the same speeds as Walker etc!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Nowhere near the same speed - straight from pit lane he was noticeably faster. Ok, it was much fancier stuff on his bike but it was pure talent. Much the same as a 15 yo Leon Hallam on a cb500 overtaking us on cbr600s on a Ron Haslam day - they are a different breed

a grinder a lever and some beans

I was so saddened today to hear about a friend in the next village who died yesterday during a club meeting at Brands Hatch. A lifelong motorcyclist with a love of racing, last time I spoke to her it was obvious how dedicated she was, how much she loved her sport. A crash and she’s gone . . . Leaving two daughters in their twenties and a wonderful husband . . . Ufff this sport . . . Sometimes it is too much . . .

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

That is awful MildredM, I'm very sorry to hear it. The only thing I can say is that she died doing what she loved. Nonetheless, very sad. Unsurprisingly on my other forum (Triumph) we get more of these. One of them was a personal friend, and a true gentleman universally liked, killed in a freak accident not his fault. I sometimes think there is truth in the saying that the good die young.

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

That is awful MildredM, I'm very sorry to hear it. The only thing I can say is that she died doing what she loved. Nonetheless, very sad. Unsurprisingly on my other forum (Triumph) we get more of these. One of them was a personal friend, and a true gentleman universally liked, killed in a freak accident not his fault. I sometimes think there is truth in the saying that the good die young.

Thank you - and yes, that can be the only consolation for her family and friends. She was passionate about her motorcycling.

It is always such a shock . . . a freak accident, a crash, a sudden illness bringing death too soon, all very, very saddening.

Hi Mildred, I know this is an old thread so I hope you get this post. I was researching on line about Alan Westfield, my dad's cousin, when I came across this forum. I am saddened to read about the event but fascinated to see all of the photos of Alan. I remember a photo of Alan on a racing bike hanging in my grandmother's house (Alans mum's sister) I am going to show my dad the thread when I visit him later today. It will bring back more memories for him as I have been writing about his life story and that's how we started discussing Alan and family.

^^^^ @MildredM ^^^^

Londinium - R, Monolith Conical, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Eight Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

Hi Mildred, I know this is an old thread so I hope you get this post. I was researching on line about Alan Westfield, my dad's cousin, when I came across this forum. I am saddened to read about the event but fascinated to see all of the photos of Alan. I remember a photo of Alan on a racing bike hanging in my grandmother's house (Alans mum's sister) I am going to show my dad the thread when I visit him later today. It will bring back more memories for him as I have been writing about his life story and that's how we started discussing Alan and family.

Oh gosh! Hello :) I’m just trying to work this out . . . . Was your gran Nellie? What a small world . . . .

Oh gosh! Hello :) I’m just trying to work this out . . . . Was your gran Nellie? What a small world . . . .

Yes, that's right, so Winnie was my great aunt. My dad worked at the garage for them for a while and that's how we got talking about Alan and Mick. who I assume is your father? It is a small world with the power of the internet.:)

Edited by 007topaz

Yes, that's right, so Winnie was my great aunt. My dad worked at the garage for them for a while and that's how we got talking about Alan and Mick. who I assume is your father? It is a small world with the power of the internet.:)

It IS a small world, yes!

Anyone going this year?

878641D3-4615-4C80-832D-9B2F62E93B8C.jpeg

Sorry, double post!

B199936A-DFBC-4911-8875-64FA63C7F21C.jpeg

Keep meaning too but never got around to it. Used to work in a pub where a sidecar team drank. Maybe next year.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

TT must be is the last resort for real racers in our high tech high security world... but oh those many sad stories of lost sons. Dunno whether I could ever bear the suspense of watching these daredevils 😬

Once again, thanks so much for sharing all this, @MildredM

• Thanks 1

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

27 minutes ago, Hasi said:

TT must be is the last resort for real racers in our high tech high security world... but oh those many sad stories of lost sons. Dunno whether I could ever bear the suspense of watching these daredevils 😬

Once again, thanks so much for sharing all this, @MildredM

It breaks my heart hearing another one . . . 

But they know the risks and want to do it anyway - kudos to them, really. 

• Like 1

Always been uncomfortable about the Isle of Man the death toll and the tourism the island benefits from, over 250 deaths since it began, its one of the last gladiator sports and I suppose credit to those who know the risks and compete anyway, not sure its a fair indulgence in the eyes of their family, but its an individuals choice.

• Like 1

keep calm and grind flat

Been a biker since 17, now 38 but never been, nearly went in 20's when all mates had bikes.  No mates ride bikes now just me and have done all year round apart from ice/snow etc.  Every day really on the roads is a risk and do think experience and common sense helps and thinking like a car driver when riding also.  Been so many close calls, and now got a daughter do think about giving up to.  Then I cycle to work to so should I not do that also! 

The thrill of it I guess on a powerful bike to, nothing compares, not even sporty cars its just not the same.  

I must got to the TT one day hopefully before it is banned like!

Great but sad thread to Mildred

• Like 1

Thanks

Lee. (R58 and Zenith 65e)

I haven’t ever been. I don’t think I could go. Funnily enough, I mentioned the TT races coming up to my auntie Tot on the phone at the weekend. She said, 'oh yes, we used to go a lot!' She is 88 ish now and it seemed funny to think of her going but then she, my mum (Dol! They all had nicknames) and her sisters and brother were brought up near Caldwell Park (and my mum met Alan there) so I expect they followed bike racing more closely than I imagined. I will try and ask her more about it when the moment is right.

I am not sure if I mentioned before, my friend Bob, now 92, was at the first meeting at Caldwell Park - and he still goes these days, most weeks he there at practice, track days, or race days!

• Like 1

Well as someone born and bred, and still living here I go every year by default. If you were ever to miss one though, it would be this. I feel truly sorry for everyone who has come over to camp in drizzle. The open roads are having temporary speed limited placed on them too this year (the rest of the year there are large sections of de-restricted roads). Far fewer incidents, but it feels a bit muted.

If you want a clear picture of kepple gate i can pop up when the cones have gone? They are only there for the temporary one way system for the roads open part of the fortnite.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drl said:

Well as someone born and bred, and still living here I go every year by default. If you were ever to miss one though, it would be this. I feel truly sorry for everyone who has come over to camp in drizzle. The open roads are having temporary speed limited placed on them too this year (the rest of the year there are large sections of de-restricted roads). Far fewer incidents, but it feels a bit muted.

If you want a clear picture of kepple gate i can pop up when the cones have gone? They are only there for the temporary one way system for the roads open part of the fortnite.

A photo would be great, thank you. A friend here mentioned a plaque recently, he wasn’t sure where it was though. If you spot such a thing it would be great too see a photo of that too! Thank you 😁 😁 

What a shame about the weather, total bummer 😕

Know quite a few people who have popped over for the TT this year (Loads of family there still so they're not camping) - can't say I envy them the drizzle, every time I've been over this year so far it's been nothing but sunshine haha.

• Like 1

Tame Barista @ http://tamebaristas.com

I couldn't make it this year but am hoping to get back next year, with better weather!

I'm toying with the idea of going over on the bike to the ManxGP, still good racing and fewer nutjobs on the roads. (the roads closed 7 minutes after opening this year due to someone overcooking it)!

• Like 1

"Coffee: The Good, The Bad, and The Ayurvedic Perspective"

Behave yourself.

Looks like the weather really ruined a lot of the racing this year unfortunately. Still, they got there in the end. 

• Like 1