I was just wondering if anyone here will be going to the TT races this year.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I was just wondering if anyone here will be going to the TT races this year.

Are you a biker Mildred? I'd really like to go but can't get away for it. There's a possibility of being able to go last minute but then ferry and hotel options are likely to be booked up so probably will just have the TV for coverage.

I'm in Rhayader this weekend motorbiking around the Elan Valley. It's been pretty wet but absolute terrific riding.

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Are you a biker Mildred? I'd really like to go but can't get away for it. There's a possibility of being able to go last minute but then ferry and hotel options are likely to be booked up so probably will just have the TV for coverage.

I'm in Rhayader this weekend motorbiking around the Elan Valley. It's been pretty wet but absolute terrific riding.

Yes, I think it will be pretty much booked up now.

No, not a biker, sorry. Rather a sad story actually . . . The TT Races are indirectly why I am here (here here, not here on the forum). My mum was going out with Alan Westfield in the late 40s. His parents owned a garage and Alan was a keen motorcyclist with a lot of talent. He started racing in Juniors and ended up at the TT Races. Very sadly, in 1950, he crashed in practice and died hours later in hospital.

No one witnessed the crash which happened at Keppel Gate. It seems he took the bend too fast, slid across the track and into a bollard. He wasn't quite 20.

My mum hasn't ever really talked about it, and as for my grandparents, well, it was a banned subject. A motorbike would never cross the doors to their workshop ever again.

I think my mum must have turned to my father for consolation soon after. They married in 1951. My sister was born in 1952 and I came along in 1960. My father was Alan Westfield's brother.

It sounds like Alan was a really lovely chap. A friend who has known me since I was born, Bob (now 90), can clearly remember him and as Bob also had a big interest in bikes he can remember what Alan raced and what not.

If Alan hadn't been killed my mum would have married him and probably had a very different life. She divorced my father when they were in their late 70s!

I would ideally like a photo taking of Keppel Gate . . . By someone 'there' (not Google Earth etc). I asked my mum a few months ago what it was like, when it happened. All she could say, and this was after the longest pause, was, 'It was terrible.'

I have a stash of photos . . . Here's one, probably from Caldwell Park.

3360033347_2b3bcf9ff4.jpg

Edited by MildredM
  • Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

That's such a poignant story - thank you for telling it. I wish I could do it for you. If any of my biking friends are going I'll get them on it. You want the picture of Kepple Gate during the races specifically or at any time?

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Thanks, salty :)

It would be great if they could! I would be grateful for any pics . . . I think one of that bit of track, deserted, would be good. But honestly, anything would be a bonus!!

16109396769_fb5545e022_z.jpgAlan by Mildred Mittens, on Flickr

16095695647_a872aca594_z.jpgAlan Westfield motorcycle by Mildred Mittens, on Flickr

• Thanks 1

This is his page from the TT Memorial book by Paul Bradford. It is a very hard book to read . . .

16108172470_8a8e77cb0e_c.jpgAlan Westfield Book by Mildred Mittens, on Flickr

• Thanks 1

One of the most poignant photos I have is this one showing my grandma, Alan's mother, alighting from the plane at Ronaldsway, IOM. She was too late.

33949364804_61314838d5_z.jpgGrandma by Mildred Mittens, on Flickr

• Sad 1

Happier times!

34659312971_8702c6bcc9_z.jpgGarage by Mildred Mittens, on Flickr

Hi Mildred. Sorry for the delayed response. Just got back from Wales yesterday and wasn't able to access this while I was away.

What amazing pictures and the newspaper article is priceless. The picture of his mother coming down the steps of the plane is so sad. Hard to imagine the thoughts that were going through her head throughout that difficult journey, not knowing if her son was alive or had died while she was travelling.

As a Cleethorpes boy who has been into motorbikes since I was a kid, many of the names are so familiar to me - Cadwell, Winterton and even the tribute paid by Freddie Frith. I remember Freddie Frith's as the dealer my brothers bought their bikes from. Didn't know until your post that the founder was a former world champion.

I belong to a couple of motorcycle forums and could ask on them for help with photos etc. Would it be ok with you if I used your pictures and story?

Tim

Thank you, salty, of course you can use any pics.

It is really interesting that you are from Cleethorpes, you will know all the good places to go with your bike in Lincolnshire! It is also amazing your brothers bought their bikes from FF!!

The memorial book is fascinating, but almost too difficult to read. So many lives changed . . . Families ripped apart . . . But they loved their sport. The motorcycle bug has a strong hold once it gets you!

Thanks VERY much for asking on the m/c forum. Having some photos to keep with the book (and suitcase of Alan racing pics) would be super.

Hi @MildredM

So here's a few pics of Keppel Gate from one of the guys on the kawasaki forumkepple gate 4.jpg

kepple gate 6.jpg

kepple gate 1.jpg

kepple gate 2.jpg

kepple gate 3.jpg

kepple gate 5.jpg

@salty, you have no idea how thankful I am for these pics. Please will you Thank your Kawasaki guy, and thank YOU.

I woke in the night and had a quick look. Even though I wasn't directly associated with that era it has been part of my DNA what with my grandparents (Alan's parents) and his brother (my father) and mum (his ex) all my life. I can still find people round here who knew him and can remember him racing, even conversations they had with him about his bike, tuning etc.

I will print the pics out and keep them with the memorial book.

Thank you very much indeed x

Hi Mildred

You're so welcome, really glad that in a very small way I could help. And of course I'll pass on your thanks to the guy who supplied the pics. I'm glad he got some bikes in them too.

Coverage of this year's TT started this week on ITV4 which you can also watch on catchup using the ITV Hub. Perhaps it's too close to your own family history but if you can watch it the coverage gives a great sense of the island, the race and the motivations of the riders.

Last night's programme starts with an interview with John McGuiness, former TT champion. He had a smash in the North West race in April and broke his back and leg in umpteen places. But he talks about the magnetic draw of racing, and especially the TT, which brought him back to the IoM for this TT, albeit only as a spectator.

I'm guessing it's the same thing that drew Alan Westfield and the thousands of other bikers to the IoM over the years and continues to this day. Truly special and extraordinary people. Your uncle was clearly one of that special and courageous group of riders.

Tim

Hi Mildred

You're so welcome, really glad that in a very small way I could help. And of course I'll pass on your thanks to the guy who supplied the pics. I'm glad he got some bikes in them too.

Coverage of this year's TT started this week on ITV4 which you can also watch on catchup using the ITV Hub. Perhaps it's too close to your own family history but if you can watch it the coverage gives a great sense of the island, the race and the motivations of the riders.

Last night's programme starts with an interview with John McGuiness, former TT champion. He had a smash in the North West race in April and broke his back and leg in umpteen places. But he talks about the magnetic draw of racing, and especially the TT, which brought him back to the IoM for this TT, albeit only as a spectator.

I'm guessing it's the same thing that drew Alan Westfield and the thousands of other bikers to the IoM over the years and continues to this day. Truly special and extraordinary people. Your uncle was clearly one of that special and courageous group of riders.

Tim

Thanks, Tim.

And thank you for the heads up re the ITV Hub. I am watching part of the episode from last night as I type. it feels SO fast just watching it! There is certainly something magnetic that draws these riders to that race. A lot of those riders mentioned came to AW's funeral.

I have been looking through some more old photos of him racing but I can't see anything resembling the IoM circuit. They would have had had some but I wonder if they couldn't bear to keep them. I still have some in another bag I haven't ever gone through so I will try them when I get a moment.

Have you heard of Rob McElnea? He's local-ish. I can remember when he raced there - I knew him more through Trials riding (I think he did that while he was still racing actually).

There are still a few people my age from the area who go to the TT races to spectate every year - and have probably been going since they left school!

Another Big thank you!

Hi Mildred

You may have already seen it but if you watch episode 14 of the TT coverage on ITV4 catch-up, the programme starts with a guy flying round the course in a small plane. Great way to see the whole course and Kepple Gate gets a mention. If you can find a way to record it it would make a good addition to your archive.

Just caught up with this post. Love the pics in post 11 of the mountain back then. I have a poster from MCN or Performance Bikes on my garage wall of Walker and Hodgson both airbourne at the mountain - a great bit of track. Ive never ridden around Cadwell but did go round in the safety car as a passenger when I was about 15 at a vintage car race - having watched two MK2 Jags racing round there you can see that it really is more of a bike track !

a grinder a lever and some beans

Just caught up with this post. Love the pics in post 11 of the mountain back then. I have a poster from MCN or Performance Bikes on my garage wall of Walker and Hodgson both airbourne at the mountain - a great bit of track. Ive never ridden around Cadwell but did go round in the safety car as a passenger when I was about 15 at a vintage car race - having watched two MK2 Jags racing round there you can see that it really is more of a bike track !

Oh wow! What an experience for a 15 year old lad that must have been! Sounds like an amazing poster too. I have some airborn pics but I don't think they're from the IoM. I really need to go through and scan some more to share.

Hi Mildred

You may have already seen it but if you watch episode 14 of the TT coverage on ITV4 catch-up, the programme starts with a guy flying round the course in a small plane. Great way to see the whole course and Kepple Gate gets a mention. If you can find a way to record it it would make a good addition to your archive.

Thanks for the heads-up on that episode. Going to look at that in a bit ;)

Just found this one from Cadwell . . .

35196583922_95fa8744c5_z.jpgNumber 25 Cadwell 170548 D

Oh wow! What an experience for a 15 year old lad that must have been!

It was - exciting and scary at the same time.

It was a great meeting. I remember chatting to some of the racers in the beer tent who had driven their cars to the event and then raced them the following day.

Walker, 'The Stalker'! Another Lincolnshire/Notts rider. What a fantastic photo of such an iconic pair.

Yep - they had a real battle that year in bsb. Did a track day at donnington and walker was testing the same day (in between us wobbling around the track) - he was scarily fast !