Coffee Forums banner

Gaggia Classic fine spray through shower screen

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jimbojohn55 
#1 ·
Hi, I've found that relatively recently my gaggia classic has started doing a really fine spray through the shower screen, which sprays out in all directions, rather than the sort of flow I'd usually expect. The photo below attempts to capture what I mean. This is quite annoying as it means I end up with water sprayed everywhere when I'm running water through without a portafilter in. I can still pull a shot ok but when I take the portafilter off there's lots of little dimples in the coffee puck. I did a descale and clean using backflush cleaner some weeks ago and it seemed to very briefly go back to normal but it's since started doing it again.

Does anyone know what might cause this? Might it be worth replacing the shower screen or something?

Kitchen appliance Food Home appliance Kitchen Cooking

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
MildredM said:
Hello Mr N
:)

Out of interest what water are you using?

Do do let us know if a good scrub cures the problem!
I live in East Kent and we have very hard water here. It's possible I should descale my machine more often.

I've cleaned the shower screen and the plate holder. It seems to have improved it but I'm now forgetting what the water flow actually used to look like! The holder in particular had deposits and bits on it and I wasn't able to get it all off, even with a scrub but all the holes seemed clear.

#9 ·
Yes, it's a pain. I also brew beer and it causes issues with that too. I thought brita filters and charcoal filters were more for taste as they filtered out the chlorine?

I have descaled it twice, is there a good place to buy the descaler at a reasonable price? I mostly just use the machine at the weekends (drip coffee during the week) so I hoped the build up wouldn't be so bad...

#10 ·
Tartric acid - ebay 2-3 tsp to a litre - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500g-Tartaric-Acid-food-grade-home-brew-wine-making-/130474400302?hash=item1e60e15a2e:g:GN0AAOSwjVVVlqMB

pop it in the water reservoir - and run 100ml through the steam wand every 15 min - remove the shower screen and dispersion plate and give them a soak in it in a cup.

rinse the tank then run a full tank or two through the machine.

A carbon filter under sink kit will help lower the water hardness, but use a test kit to check it or buy bottled water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.