Yes Row

L1 Toughen Glass Top

Just had this cut for the top of my L1. Since I got it 18 months ago I have lived in fear of knocking a mug or cup out of the cupboard above it and damaging the top. Due to the lever, the cupboard door only opens about a 1/4 way.

309136bdb9051a171e203d1648d73b5f.jpg

I was expecting a big cut-out in the original top and retro-fitted glass in an L1 Luxe sort of way

Good solution

a grinder a lever and some beans

Nice

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

I like this solution actually. Where did you get it cut? (and rough idea of cost?)

Like others I thought of a 'Lux' style cutout; to be honest; I'd still love to buy one as I think the internals are beautiful.

Andy:)

Machine: Londinium L1

Grinder: EK43LE

Beans: Baristrocracy Ethiopian

Instagram: andrewrellim

I like this solution actually. Where did you get it cut? (and rough idea of cost?)

Like others I thought of a 'Lux' style cutout; to be honest; I'd still love to buy one as I think the internals are beautiful.

I could tell you a story! If we can find a suitable supplier up here Andy, I may be interested in one as well

It's great!

Our local glass merchants offers a cutting service. We got a toughened glass top for the kitchen table a bit ago. A coffee machine top would, at least, be easier to get home!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Just had this cut for the top of my L1. Since I got it 18 months ago I have lived in fear of knocking a mug or cup out of the cupboard above it and damaging the top. Due to the lever, the cupboard door only opens about a 1/4 way.

309136bdb9051a171e203d1648d73b5f.jpg

Would you by any chance have the measurements given to them. Even though mine is plumbed in I put a tanked lid on so to preserve the other one, and the chance of me measuring the thing accurately is pretty remote!

I guess you could take the stainless steel top off and just use the glass, but I am not so sure the internal gubbins are that attractive, I prefer the shiny look

I got it cut in Derby, at a glass merchants and it cost £46 (I believe this is their min charge) I had used them in the past, they cut a glass hearth for my log burner

Would you by any chance have the measurements given to them. Even though mine is plumbed in I put a tanked lid on so to preserve the other one, and the chance of me measuring the thing accurately is pretty remote!

David. I just took the top to the glass merchants and they did the measuring and cutting. Like you, I am not very good at that sort of thing.

With hindsight I would have the lid hole bigger so the lid sits on the machine and not the glass, as I think I may get slight condensation issues, due to the small gap. I could put the lid under the glass but it would be a pain checking the water level and topping up

David there is a glass cutter near me who did a toughened glass slab for a desk they'd do one.

Londinium R, Hg-one, button tamper, vst,ims,V60,siphon,aeropress...and still no idea

David there is a glass cutter near me who did a toughened glass slab for a desk they'd do one.

cheers Yesrow...dave, is that home or work?

Home. About 3 miles from my place

Londinium R, Hg-one, button tamper, vst,ims,V60,siphon,aeropress...and still no idea

Awesome idea, beats the Hasbean towel I'm currently using!

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity

Don't knock the hasbean towel. Been serving me well as a top protector for two years now.... and you have different colours, depending on which towel / which way up. All tend to have red in there somewhere.

I ordered an Espresso Bar towel from Coffee Hit two years back @ £1.80 just to take the order value up to free postage.

Nice quality, Pure black 30cm x 30cm Exact size for L-R top.

Thinking of getting another couple if anybody wants to chip in.

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

I ordered an Espresso Bar towel from Coffee Hit two years back @ £1.80 just to take the order value up to free postage.

Nice quality, Pure black 30cm x 30cm Exact size for L-R top.

Thinking of getting another couple if anybody wants to chip in.

I wouldn't mind a couple of the black towels. Happy to order here and send out, or leave it to you :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Mildred, the job's yours if you want it.

Mark me down for two if you will. Then my original one can go in the wash, regardless of whether it really needs it after only two years.

It's a shame but I can't think of anything else I would want to bulk out an order.

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

Mildred, the job's yours if you want it.

Mark me down for two if you will. Then my original one can go in the wash, regardless of whether it really needs it after only two years.

It's a shame but I can't think of anything else I would want to bulk out an order.

Thank you :)

I'll give it a few days to see if anyone else is ready to throw in another towel order ;)

Was looking at new towels the other week. Put me down for 4

Thanks

Black 30x30cm towels from CoffeeHit Order:

Me x 2

Snakehips x 2

Workingdog x 4

So far . . .

Towel or glass, I recall Reiss writing that he advised against additional coverings (for, eg, cup-warming) because it would hinder ventilation.

Matt

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, Gene Café, Atago Barista

Me x 2

Snakehips x 2

Workingdog x 4

So far . . .

Just bumping this up while I am thinking about it (as in, current towel is more holes than not now, I see)!

Towel or glass, I recall Reiss writing that he advised against additional coverings (for, eg, cup-warming) because it would hinder ventilation.

Matt

Matt, Re the towel. Has to be that an albeit thin, towel on the top will modify the otherwise natural radiation of heat from the top panel. However, given the total amount of heat kicking around in the the unit and the fact that no ventilation is obscured in any way, I would not see it causing an issue.

Me x 2

Snakehips x 2

Workingdog x 4

So far . . .

Ordering these tomorrow. If anyone wants to add to the order steam in now.

Can I suggest you all get some of clear self adhesive rubber dots to use between the glass and the machine. I got a piece of toughened glass for my l1 when I first got it three years or so ago and I fitted these. Makes placement and removal/refitting so much easier and negated the risk of damage to the SS surface

Londinium L1 Luxe - Compak E10 - Macap M7 - Brita Aquaquell - Torr Trapez Tamper - IMS Shower screen - IMS & VST baskets