fatboyslim

Rate My Brew Slurry [RMBS?]

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MWJB said:

Yes, you'll lose about twice the weight of the coffee dose in absorbed water.

Thanks! I assume therefore all methods are to be followed for amounts "in" 

Edited by Xabi17

2 minutes ago, Xabi17 said:

Thanks! I assume therefore all methods are to be followed for amounts "in" 

Indeed, drip/manual brew ratios refer to the amount in, amount out is just implied but not stated (it varies some, but really if it's from 1.7x to 2.4x the dose no one is going to care about a swing of 13g of drink in the cup, in your case).

Just be sure to let the brewer sit for a bit (30-40s) after dry bed and your brews will be consistent, if your input is.

• Thanks 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Any thoughts on this? Wilfa svart silver grinder (older faster motor) 15g 250ml brew. 3:10 draw down to bed plus extra drip through time. The fines on filter are typical for me. I stir bloom (2:1) lightly until 30s then 2/3 pour and swirl. Draw down a few seconds and then remaining 1/3 swirl again and let drain through.

cf92cb1c529efaca49e7537d6686a920.jpg
cab899244744d968b6d5c7055b3c1e70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

that looks quite course... i've been playing with my methods recently as my cups have been a bit consistent mainly due to throwing some Ethiopian beans into the mix and having recently seen a post on reddit regarding flow rates it got me thinking as with more pours its probably harder to achieve a consistent flow rate than it is with fewer pours.

Then whilst on a reddit v60 rabbit hole i found this slight variation on the hoffman method

Tried this morning with two different types of beans whilst focusing on keeping the pouring consistent and it resulted it much brighter flavorful brews using a finer grind 

v60 Method for 15/250 ratio:

0:00-0:40 40g bloom

0:40-1:00 110g pour (150g total)

1:00-1:20 100g pour (250 g total)

gentle swirl after last pour

Edited by Breezy

On 06/07/2020 at 13:59, supersemps said:

Any thoughts on this? Wilfa svart silver grinder (older faster motor) 15g 250ml brew. 3:10 draw down to bed plus extra drip through time. The fines on filter are typical for me. I stir bloom (2:1) lightly until 30s then 2/3 pour and swirl. Draw down a few seconds and then remaining 1/3 swirl again and let drain through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did it taste?

You don't need to stir the bloom for 30s, just a few seconds after adding the bloom water will do, if you dig deep into the bed.

What is your pour timing? (Total brew time is just a function of that vs grind setting & varies with different coffees).

What's going wrong here do you think? In terms of the coffee all up the top? Likely too coarse or down to the pour? 

Method used - Hoffmans. 30g/500. 70g bloom for 45 seconds, including aggressive swirl at the start as opposed to stirring. 300ml total to 1m 15. 500ml to 1m 45. rao swirl when approx half way down the filter. Finished at 3 minutes (1m 15 draw down). 

coffee.jpg

54 minutes ago, Rapid said:

What's going wrong here do you think? In terms of the coffee all up the top? Likely too coarse or down to the pour? 

Method used - Hoffmans. 30g/500. 70g bloom for 45 seconds, including aggressive swirl at the start as opposed to stirring. 300ml total to 1m 15. 500ml to 1m 45. rao swirl when approx half way down the filter. Finished at 3 minutes (1m 15 draw down). 

What's wrong with the taste?

If the grind is too coarse, then large particles will float & settle on the walls of the filter.

But, you seem to have fine sediment on the surface of the bed?

If so, grind finer & swirl less aggressively. If you're going to swirl at end of pour (I don't recommend that you do though), do it as soon as you can without spilling. If the liquid is halfway down the tide mark, the swirl can't clean the walls.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MWJB said:

What's wrong with the taste?

If the grind is too coarse, then large particles will float & settle on the walls of the filter.

But, you seem to have fine sediment on the surface of the bed?

If so, grind finer & swirl less aggressively. If you're going to swirl at end of pour (I don't recommend that you do though), do it as soon as you can without spilling. If the liquid is halfway down the tide mark, the swirl can't clean the walls.

The taste is just 'lacking'. Sweetness mainly I'd say. It's not terrible but i feel like I've just got the outer layer of an onion essentially. 

Large particles definitely floated in this. I can see it happening as I pour phase 2 (after the bloom). Unfortunately this pack was sent pre ground in error so I can't change the grind. I'm glad that I know for future reference though. In fairness the first thing I said when I opened the pack was that it looked waaaay too coarse. I wasn't sure if that may have been influenced by it being a peaberry? 

What would be your method on 500g liquid buddy? What's the reason for not swirling at the end? I'm still new to this so you certainly know a lot more than I do but I think Hoffman goes that way to ensure a flat bed and in theory a more even extraction. I'm certainly open to trying different methods, especially from your recommendation(s).

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Rapid said:

What would be your method on 500g liquid buddy? What's the reason for not swirling at the end? I'm still new to this so you certainly know a lot more than I do but I think Hoffman goes that way to ensure a flat bed and in theory a more even extraction. I'm certainly open to trying different methods, especially from your recommendation(s).

Cheers.

I don't brew with 500g, it's an awkward size to brew with. It wouldn't matter anyway because I don't know what your grind size is.

But fear not, if you slow down the water delivery you can get a better brew from your coarse grounds.

Forget flat beds & "even extractions", it's 'woo woo' & 'la la', you may as well appeal to invisible aliens to fix your brew. Focus on what you can actually do & control.

Try 480g poured 80g every 30s, in spirals. If you get standing liquid over the bed, go to a centre pour for the remainder of that pour. This should push extraction up, maybe forcing an over-extraction issue, then you can work back from there?

If you want a flat bed, wash the filter down with the start of each pour & when all the water is in, just a gentle nudge/wobble on the brewer (I don't really care if the bed isn't perfectly flat, the last 30-40s of your previous brew won't have had a massive influence on extraction beyond meeting brew water/beverage weight).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MWJB said:

I don't brew with 500g, it's an awkward size to brew with. It wouldn't matter anyway because I don't know what your grind size is.

But fear not, if you slow down the water delivery you can get a better brew from your coarse grounds.

Forget flat beds & "even extractions", it's 'woo woo' & 'la la', you may as well appeal to invisible aliens to fix your brew. Focus on what you can actually do & control.

Try 480g poured 80g every 30s, in spirals. If you get standing liquid over the bed, go to a centre pour for the remainder of that pour. This should push extraction up, maybe forcing an over-extraction issue, then you can work back from there?

If you want a flat bed, wash the filter down with the start of each pour & when all the water is in, just a gentle nudge/wobble on the brewer (I don't really care if the bed isn't perfectly flat, the last 30-40s of your previous brew won't have had a massive influence on extraction beyond meeting brew water/beverage weight).

Thanks for that. I'll give that a go with this coffee, slowing it down sounds sensible. I'm not too far from the end of the bag so I was talking more in general terms for method recommendation. I have a wilfa svart for the daily. 

1 minute ago, Rapid said:

Thanks for that. I'll give that a go with this coffee, slowing it down sounds sensible. I'm not too far from the end of the bag so I was talking more in general terms for method recommendation. I have a wilfa svart for the daily. 

It'll totally depend on your grind setting.

The finer you grind the fewer pours, so you might do 70g bloom & 2 pours of 200g at 45s intervals at a fine grind.

A bit coarser might be 60g bloom & 3 pours of 140g at 40s intervals (I'd probably plumb for this one).

A bit coarser still might be 70g bloom & 4 pours of 100g at 30s intervals...pick one that is most intuative, stick with it and dial in the grind at a setting where you have to adjust it the least.

Whether you brew with 470g total, or 480g total won't make much difference, but when dialling in a regime, stick to one weight or the other.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MWJB said:

The finer you grind the fewer pours, so you might do 70g bloom & 2 pours of 200g at 45s intervals at a fine grind.

A bit coarser might be 60g bloom & 3 pours of 140g at 40s intervals (I'd probably plumb for this one).

A bit coarser still might be 70g bloom & 4 pours of 100g at 30s intervals...pick one that is most intuative, stick with it and dial in the grind at a setting where you have to adjust it the least.

Whether you brew with 470g total, or 480g total won't make much difference, but when dialling in a regime, stick to one weight or the other.

Either way the common denominator seems to be a slower pour than my usual method. I'll give this a try, thanks for your wisdom!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, MWJB said:

One last thing, assuming I've understood 'intervals' in this context, how fast should the pours be? i.e. 140g in, wait 40s, then another 140g, wait another 40 secs and so on. but should I be pouring to a aimed time? (i.e. that 140g in over 20s? and then waiting 40 seconds) or would I be starting the 40s count when I begin each 140g pour? i.e. that pour may organically finish after 25 seconds, leaving me a 15s wait before starting the next pour. (come to think of it, the latter makes most sense). 

Thanks again. 

Edited by Rapid

1 hour ago, Rapid said:

One last thing, assuming I've understood 'intervals' in this context, how fast should the pours be? i.e. 140g in, wait 40s, then another 140g, wait another 40 secs and so on. but should I be pouring to a aimed time? (i.e. that 140g in over 20s? and then waiting 40 seconds) or would I be starting the 40s count when I begin each 140g pour? i.e. that pour may organically finish after 25 seconds, leaving me a 15s wait before starting the next pour. (come to think of it, the latter makes most sense). 

Thanks again. 

You really want the stream to drop straight down from the kettle spout, not 'hose' in an arc It's likely that to maintain this, your pour will take up most, maybe all of the 40s in this  case.

It's difficult to pour much faster than 3g/s and maintain this straight down drop.

Anyhow, give it a go & see what happens, bearing in mind, the more aggressively you pour, the siltier the cup will be.

• Like 1