fatboyslim

Rate My Brew Slurry [RMBS?]

what setting you using? I'm usually at 3 or 2

In between at 2.5 usually, but depends on the bean, the flexibility of this thing is fantastic.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Kaboom.

If it wasn't for the colour of the stain in the filter I'd be thinking you'd poured over tea! Is that just chaff sitting atop the bed. Or is your grinder slicing Waffer Thin coffee?

If it wasn't for the colour of the stain in the filter I'd be thinking you'd poured over tea! Is that just chaff sitting atop the bed. Or is your grinder slicing Waffer Thin coffee?
Yeah there's a bit of chaff at the top. Grinding really coarse these days so get a decent bit coming out the chute.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37326[/ATTACH]

I've found pouring super gently in to the clever prevents it clogging and maintaining a bed. I made two that came out like this morning although they both came out kind of strong - not bitter but kind of intense, with a 1:15 ratio. I reckon a fair amount of extraction is happening during the pour. Not sure if to up the ratio, go shorter or courser .

I've found pouring super gently in to the clever prevents it clogging and maintaining a bed. I made two that came out like this morning although they both came out kind of strong - not bitter but kind of intense, with a 1:15 ratio. I reckon a fair amount of extraction is happening during the pour. Not sure if to up the ratio, go shorter or courser .

Sorry, are you drip brewing or steeping? If steeping, either pour all the water quickly in one go, or add the water first, then the coffee. Draw down time is just a function of grind & dose, it doesn't mean much in itself...could be 1:00 could be 4:00 & both could be OK

1:15 sounds normal for steeping, under-extracted coffee can, counter-intuitively be quite bold, as you extract more it can get clearer/cleaner.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Sorry, are you drip brewing or steeping? If steeping, either pour all the water quickly in one go, or add the water first, then the coffee. Draw down time is just a function of grind & dose, it doesn't mean much in itself...could be 1:00 could be 4:00 & both could be OK

1:15 sounds normal for steeping, under-extracted coffee can, counter-intuitively be quite bold, as you extract more it can get clearer/cleaner.

steeping.

When I pour all in one go I find draw down times quite random, it seems like sometimes fines partially clog the paper and sometimes it just drains normally. Doesn't necessarily make it taste bad, though.

Usually i add water first and that seems to give me most consistent results but thought i'd try something else this morning. (sometimes with lighter coffees if just can't seem to get sweet)

Looks like you wanna be getting some Hario V60 03 papers and doing a little bit of origami. You won't regret it.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Honey processed Pacamara from El Salvador Los Pirineos, roasted by Talor & Jorgen brewed on Moccamaster. 19.5% EY

For some reason these beans give me some of the quickest Moccamaster brew I've seen, just under 3 minutes for 27g coffee to 490g water. Typically it's around 3:30-4:00.

pxr4XIl.jpg

V60 01. 14.4g and 250g. Kenyan. Drawdown 4:06.

What am I doing wrong that causes the silt or fines gather on one side? I stir the bloom, pour 5-6 times and swirl after the last. I always pour from the right relative to the photo and try to pour somewhat straight down, but maybe I'm pushing the fines away from the left and they stick to the right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37777[/ATTACH]

How does it taste?

Do you have a "spin" as the water draws down ?

Draw down time might be a little on the long side ? what your pour regime ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram

rjw_inc

@Zephyp if you're pouring from the right hand side, it looks like the water may not be dropping down on the right hand side of the brewer/bed? Grind does look a bit fine.

How does it taste?

Do you have a "spin" as the water draws down ?

Draw down time might be a little on the long side ? what your pour regime ?

I spin the dripper yeah, what some would call the Rao spin. I couldn't spin it too hard since there is quite a bit of water at the end of pouring and the bed is pretty full. With the small V60 01 I'd spin it on the floor if I went after it too hard. I think this is something that builds up during the brewing before the spin.

0:00 - 30g Bloom

0:30 - 65g

0:50 - 100g

1:10 - 135g

1:30 - 170g

1:50 - 205g

2:10 - 240g

Spin

This was pretty fine with 16 clicks on the grinder. With 19 clicks I got 3:46 the day before.

@Zephyp if you're pouring from the right hand side, it looks like the water may not be dropping down on the right hand side of the brewer/bed?

Grind does look a bit fine.

I was thinking that there could be some negative effect to it, and it might affect the drain on the right side a little. I could rotate the dripper, but then I'd also be agitating a bit more between pours. I try not to hose it, but in order to get the 35g into the bed in 10 seconds, I need enough flow that some hosing occurs, and when I pour from the right, that is probably causing some streams which causes the fines to bunch up like that (Bonavita electric btw). I'm guessing it's my pouring that is the root cause. I'll try to be gentler and pour more evenly across the entire bed today.

Might be a bit too fine, yeah. It was 16 clicks on Comandante MK3. 19 clicks was not too bad, but I wanted to see what happened. I try finding a sweetspot with a coffee, then buy a different coffee, don't think it's good enough and start fiddling with grind again. I keep the recipe consistent. I know you've said to dial it in and keep it there, but it's difficult when I get a brand new bag, the first 3-4 cups aren't very good and I still got most of the bag left.

You shouldn't need to rotate the dripper. I wouldn't worry either if, as brew progresses, the actual pour time goes a bit over 10s. As water level in the kettle drops & flow slows, I might actually finish the pour around 2:25-ish.

Four clicks coarser. Drawdown 3:40-ish. This is with tabbed filters by the way, the ones that come in a lose plastic bag. So they will be slower than the 40-pack whites.

Poured gentler and more evenly today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37778[/ATTACH]

This is what a Moccamaster brew (28g/500g , with supermarket commercial ground coffee) looks like if you don't intervene with the brewer in any way..

azF1SOx

q77Tgv9.jpg

It was still 21.5% EY, though hard to say the evenness. I don't really know the relationship of a flat bed & even extraction in this kind of cone (Melitta-style).

It's very hard to say anything about flavour since the coffee smells really vile.

Edited by the_partisan

Super clean brew at EK43 S #14 (6 o'clock) 15g/240g, 40g poured every 30 sec x 6 - water drawn down fully between every pour.. , 19.5% EY

l03XEPB.jpg

Super clean brew at EK43 S #14 (6 o'clock) 15g/240g, 40g poured every 30 sec x 6 - water drawn down fully between every pour.. , 19.5% EY

l03XEPB.jpg

This still the Nic. Limoncillo?

Yes it's the December sub. Are you brewing the same?

Yes I am, found the flavour shifting more toward red fruit rather than yellow fruit as time moves on. All very tasty though.

This is my second ever v60 pour over attempt. Not looking quite as tidy as most of the others (not sure why?), but still tasted decent with Rave’s Guatemala La Esmarelda.

e6503d509f64c05adbd5ccda974a90e5.jpg

I was curious to see if pour over could lean me away from espresso, to get more flavour subtlety with the lighter roasts. It may still be very early days with my v60 technique/recipes, but I can see both have their places.

Sage Duo Temp Pro, Niche Zero

Aergrind + Aeropress for travelling

Talor & Jorgen, Washed Ethiopia Boji

V60, 15g coffee and 6x40g pours, 30 sec apart, 20.5% EY

Rather muddier looking brew than usual, it's a challenging coffee to brew, I think. This morning's Moccamaster brew ended up tasting rather overextracted unfortunately.

Taste profile seems to have changed since last brew of yesterday, lots of very sweet peach and unlike before not much citrus.

WafTlFr.jpg

This is my second ever v60 pour over attempt. Not looking quite as tidy as most of the others (not sure why?), but still tasted decent with Rave’s Guatemala La Esmarelda.

I was curious to see if pour over could lean me away from espresso, to get more flavour subtlety with the lighter roasts. It may still be very early days with my v60 technique/recipes, but I can see both have their places.

What recipe are you using?