dfk41

What are you reading

I’m working my way through Ruth Ware’s books currently.

Her latest book ‘The Turn of the Key’ came highly recommend so I started with that one then read ‘In a Dark, Dark Wood’ and I’m currently reading The Woman in Cabin 10’.

• Like 1

Still working through Don Quixote, but finished the Clarkson and now on to 'This is going to hurt' by Adam Kay. A genuinely laugh-out-loud funny diary of his time working through hospital posts, from House Officer to Registrar. Highly recommended.

This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor Paperback

Still working through Don Quixote, but finished the Clarkson and now on to 'This is going to hurt' by Adam Kay. A genuinely laugh-out-loud funny diary of his time working through hospital posts, from House Officer to Registrar. Highly recommended.
81D8Kn3czrL.SR160,240_BG243,243,243.jpg

I really really liked this book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

On 10/12/2019 at 22:01, Uriel4953 said:

Re-Reading The Name of the Wind By Patrick Rothfuss

I'm tempted to re-read it, because I enjoyed it so much, but a re-read will be due whenever he gets around to releasing book 3, so I am waiting.

I am always reading a couple of books. Two for the trade and one for leisure. I am reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith for Leisure and reading basic concepts of Calculus by James Stewart to teach my sophomore class and also reading some ethics of mathematics book to help me write my next blog post. 

• Like 1

I am currently reading about the noh theatre and its purpose in the Japanese culture. I have a lot of interest in Japanese culture. Noh theatre basically comes from Japanese mythology where actors perform drama wearing Kabuki masks and samurai outfits. You should also read about it. It is quite fascinating for me.

Posted (edited)

I'm afraid it's a bit low brow compared to some of the books others are reading...but funny.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Going-Hurt-Secret-Diaries/dp/1509858636

51-zR18ekcL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by DavecUK

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

That was a great book by Adam Kay. Still working through Don Quixote and now also Dummies Guide to Spanish.

15 minutes ago, -Mac said:

That was a great book by Adam Kay. Still working through Don Quixote and now also Dummies Guide to Spanish.

Blimey, I struggle with my Italian, really I can't speak it just read it and then only technical Italian <lol>, perhaps I need a dummies guide to Italian?

• Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

On 10/03/2020 at 10:28, ellisael said:

I am always reading a couple of books. Two for the trade and one for leisure. I am reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith for Leisure and reading basic concepts of Calculus by James Stewart to teach my sophomore class and also reading some ethics of mathematics book to help me write my next blog post. 

I find very interesting the "ethics of mathematics" topic. It has never crossed my mind that mathematics has/needs the ethical side. Neither has it for any of the natural sciences disciplines (apart from them being used as basis for weaponry). 

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

What I am reading: "The Hard Thing About Hard Things" by Ben Horowitz. It's a business book - right in my wheelhouse. I love business biographies, but I've read more or less all of the big interesting ones (Amazon, Virgin, Starbucks (x2) etc etc), but this good.

Can I give you all two recommendations, please?

One of the most important books I have read: "The Chimp Paradox" by Dr Steve Peters. This guy was the psychologist credited with helping Ronnie O'Sullivan. He's worked with a lot of high-performers. This is a practical, easy-to-digest mindset manual. It taught me more about me than I ever thought was possible. It's the sort of book that I walked past 100 times in bookshops, and I wish I'd picked it up the first time I clapped eyes on it.

One of the most important books for society to read: "The Secret Barrister" by The Secret Barrister. I'm not sure how many of you follow him/her on Twitter, but s/he is an anonymous barrister who writes about the legal system is a realistic and critical way. His/her book is an exposé on the fragility of our criminal justice system. It's eye-opening and frightening in equal measure. 

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

last April, I suffered a double cardiac arrest. For many people, me included, I did not know the difference between that and a heart attack. The difference is, your heart stops beating! If you watch medical programmes then you know the procedure. CPR then if no response adrenalin and then the electric paddles. What they do not do, which I found surprising, was give mouth to mouth as apparently the body has oxygen in the blood and the important thing is to get the heart beating. 25 minutes later it started to beat, only to stop again within 30 seconds! 47 minutes later away it went again and the rest is history.

The only damage to me is my memory is patchy. I remember what I can and do not worry about what I cannot! But, for reading purposes this is fantastic! I have been able to re read the entire Michale Connolly, Lee Child and currently, Henning Mankell Wallander series that I have ll read before, but as if they are new books! Life is full of surprises!