dfk41

What are you reading

Just started La's Orchestra Saves The World, A McCall Smith, and loving it!

We've got a village Little Free Library (take a book/leave a book) just as outside our gate, this book was one from the 'box'. I've had some really good books for free this year!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Not really reading but looking through the pages and drooling

HFW's Veg Everyday cookbook just landed on my doorstep - for a life-long carnivore I have to say that the book is very appealing

a grinder a lever and some beans

f44a9f0b1a2a877655136b52a7057527.jpg

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

The North Water

by Ian McGuire (he also wrote Incredible Bodies).

Visceral is the word that comes to mind. Plus colourful, descriptive language of seamen of that era. Plenty of vile works and deeds and I'm only 80 odd pages in!

Editing to also add I finished it, thoroughly enjoyed it (although the last third drifted a bit) and now Ian is half way through. He has commented on it being a bit grim!

Edited by MildredM
Wrong title

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

I've just read A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry. It's beautifully written and very moving. I'm now reading a Donna Leon, I can't remember which one; the plot is entirely secondary as it usually only takes a page and a half before I drift off into happy reveries of being in Venice.

The North Star

by Ian McGuire (he also wrote Incredible Bodies).

Visceral is the word that comes to mind. Plus colourful, descriptive language of seamen of that era. Plenty of could works and deeds and I'm only 80 odd pages in!

Hey Mildred,

Is this similar to The North Water?

Vesuvius Dual Boiler / Ceado E37S / KvdW Shower Screen / VST Precision baskets / Torr Tamper / Motta Champion Milk Pitchers / Stretton Hills (Waitrose) Water /

Hey Mildred,

Is this similar to The North Water?

Yes, I am sorry, I mean Water, not Star . . . Same book!

Not sure how that happened!

Paperback. I recommend EVERYONE read this.

61BfTV5zkKL.jpg

I would read anything from eckhart

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

I'm reading black gold : a dark history of coffee ive only started but it's interesting thus far.

Enjoying the book and milk!

35034605343_ec7aca28f4_m.jpg

Currently re-reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Mason, one of my favourite books and only one of a couple I'd read more than once.

Currently re-reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Mason, one of my favourite books and only one of a couple I'd read more than once.

I really need to read this book right now!

We both enjoyed this. If anyone would like it I'm happy to post it off to you :)

35080225124_c36c319c54_z.jpg

Jack Reacher Night School because I'm on holiday and I have no intention of exercising a single brain cell - splendid crash bang nonsense.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

British Industrial Revolution In Global Perspective - why it happened in Blighty first. One of many nuggets - G.B. was a comparatively high wage society due to the impact of the Black Death. This fuelled the drive to mechanise so as to bring down unit costs and stay competitive.

Done it once, can do it again.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Enjoying Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine now. It's one of those books that strikes a chord! I am not sure yet what exactly happened to her during her childhood, but being fed little hints is keeping the pages turning.

We both enjoyed this. If anyone would like it I'm happy to post it off to you :)

35080225124_c36c319c54_z.jpg

Just got this for 99p for the Kindle. That is one holiday read sorted.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for good books to read by the pool. My taste is quite eclectic from Andy McNab to Jo Nesbo to Rohinton Mistry (one of my all time fav books is by him, A Fine Balance) - Just needs to be a good page turner...

Enjoying espresso & filter 

So, so good . . .

35529160984_085917be0a_z.jpg

Matter by Iain M. Banks.

Its the last book in The Culture series. All good things must come to an end unfortunately.

A scan of the first and last page suggests there's not many of us reading non-fiction.

I'm reading this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Inevitable-Understanding-Technological-Forces-That-Shape-Future/0525428089

It is a tremendous thought experiment. I would not be surprised if it turns out to be extremely prescient.

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Another excellent read . . .

36444514475_3718ce1df1_z.jpg

Another excellent read . . .

36444514475_3718ce1df1_z.jpg

Quick synopsis / blurb please. Title sounds like something I will enjoy.

French author, translated (for American readers, I think, 'gotten' pops up a lot). A true story about a chap who suddenly kills all his family (including the dog),

Not only the story, the deaths and looking into the mind of the protagonist, it's the style I very much like. Clear and concise, it isn't sensationalist, just relating it as it happened, making it even more compelling somehow.

36280046582_62194f66a2_z.jpg

Continuing the Elric saga by Michael Moorcock.

Good old epic fantasy without the modern George Martin inspired grimdark, yet it still manages to be dark as hell. And epic. And beautiful.