dfk41

What are you reading

We have similar threads for coffee, music, films so why not books Can I suggest you declare whether you read paper or electronic and lets limit it to what you are currently or have just read, as opposed to a more general like/dislike thread.

My last book was the 4th in the Millennium series (Girl with the Dragon tattoo). It was not written by Stieg Larssen cos he is dead! I found the writing very good and the story did not focus on Lisbeth solely but cast a large net out with her at the centre. Anyone who read the originals will enjoy this.

The Girl in the Spiders Web by David Lagercrantz

Great idea for a thread

I am currently reading a book called The life changing magic of tidying by Marie Kondo

Marie Kondo has changed the homes and lives of people around the world with her simple Konmari Method .

havent quite finished it yet as I keep getting distracted by work .

The other book I am reading is about compliance , design and construction of Fire alarm systems so although a fascinating read I am not sure its to relevant to recommend .

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

For those that may have missed it, here's a link to an older (Must Read Books) thread that may also be of interest to the book worms amongst you.

After seeing a few theatre shows of Agatha Christie and the less then good adaptations on BBC (in my opinion) I've finally started reading her work, paper format.

Last one was And then there were none. Even though I knew what would happen it was a still a great page turner and I enjoyed reading it.

Just started reading The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding. A collection of short stories.

I'm also just reading the Girl in the spider's web. Great follow on.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I am so pleased you've started this thread :)

I'm currently reading The Reader On The 6.27

It is absolutely my kind of novel. I am savouring every page!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

El Carajillo recommended Orphan X to me by Greg Horowitz so have just downloaded it and will read over the weekend and report back

Neurotribes by Steve Silberman, non fiction but absolutely brilliant.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

I have Girl in the Spiders Web loaded and ready as part of my holiday reading. Will be good to see how a different author deals with the characters and storyline

a grinder a lever and some beans

I'm also just reading the Girl in the spider's web. Great follow on.

I thoroughly enjoyed the original trilogy so Girl in the spider's web will be my next buy.

Just finished reading 'The wrong side of goodbye' by Michael Connelly

Always enjoy MC's books. You can't beat a bit of Harry Bosch!

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

I agree about the M C books/ Harry Bosch. Just reading The Bones Beneath. by Mark Billingham, the detective in the books is similar to Bosch but the British version

I have Girl in the Spiders Web loaded and ready as part of my holiday reading. Will be good to see how a different author deals with the characters and storyline

Read this a while back. Better written than the originals imo

Just finished "Police" by Jo Nesbo - the Harry Hole Norwegian 'tec. Like most of these stories it's well plotted. Ultimately, I find them a bit depressing and turn to Terry Pratchett to restore some faith in humanity!

I'm currently reading "Doors Open" by Ian Rankin about an art heist. Not nearly as good as the Rebus stories - another depressing 'tec...(theme emerging)

and I'm really struggling with "The Magic Mountain" by Thomas Mann (a classic). It's a slow pedantic early 1900's tale of TB sufferers in a Swiss sanatorium. One of those books that you can only read a little at a time...

Yeah Jø Nesbø seemed to rise to prominence on the back of Larsson fever (so it seemed to me, but possibly contentious). I read one of them on holiday and while it was a gripping read, it did kind of drain the cheer out of me a bit. The Larsson/Lagercranz books have a bit more hope and justice in them, a bit less nihilist. I'm about halfway through 'TGI spider's web' and enjoying it just as much as the first 3.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Jo Nesbo, very draining to me too.

Having finished the very wonderful The Reader on The 6.27, (it reminded me a bit of A Man Called Ove) I sneaked in a quick read - Grief Is The Thing With Feathers, Max Porter. Very powerful, resonating . . . It really gets to grips with the emotions and ensuing turmoil of grief and loss. It was a hard read, in many ways, I felt so sad reading it (with some uplifting moments too) but a book I want to read again.

I just started How To Measure A Cow, Margaret Forster, inthe bath tonight, and immediately know I'm on to another fantastic read. It isn't often I get three in a row!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Just finished "The Bastards of Pizzofalcone" Italian noir supposedly. Didn't seem very "Noir" to me. However, I got hooked on a couple of the characters so may well follow it up with the first and third in the series.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Many moons ago I was enthralled by the writings of Anne McCaffrey. She was a purveyor of exquisitely written Science Fantasy works. Her most known work is that of the dragon series.

Last Thursday I ordered the three Pegasus series books that have been lost over the many years of me moving. I shall likely replace all of her work that I once owned

Just picked up Orphan X.....40 pages in.......looks like my sort of read! People have critiques Jo Nesbo.......I loved the series but found the last one where HH had retired not so good

Well, can thoroughly recommend Orphan X so many thanks El Carajillo......an action book but do not want to say more than that!

I'm reading the Springsteen autobiography... so far it's pretty easy to figure out who done it. The book before was the Moscow Coffee Book - an amazing read because of the translation. It was pretty easy to figure out who done it in that, too (and no, it wasn't Putin).

Just starting out with 'Letters of Note' as recommended by the wife. So far a wonderful read. Uplifting and very emotional.

After working through the Bernard Cornwell's Last Kingdom series of books I am now working through his Sharpe series although I did break this up with a reread of 'A fine balance' by Rhointon Mistry who is a particular favourite author of mine. I also have the George Smiley books on the go as audio books for when I walk the dog, they are the Radio 4 dramatisations.

Edited by Hairy_Hogg

Enjoying espresso & filter