Look like MBK have a new product in development -

It's a micro sized feldgrind that's slim enough to fit inside an Areopress.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 08.38.09.jpg

It's going live on Kickstarter tomorrow at 00:01 BST

Gaggia Classic | Iberital MC2 | MBK Feldgrind | 18g VST | Bottomless PF

www.lukewilletts.com | @Lukewilletts

Backed up. £45 for an MBK grinder with the same burrset as Feldgrind/Hausgrind + extras is a steal. Nevermind the beans, T-shirt, mug and Aerdisc!

I don't use Feldgrind any more as a main grinder, so Aergrind will be a good choice for travelling.

I'm in too. I've been looking at picking up a feldgrind. I wonder if this would be "enough" for espresso every now and then? If it uses the same set of burrs I don't see why not, what does everyone else think?

A link if someone can't find it on Kickstarter:

£4248 out of £14000 in the first night? Not too bad!

I'm in too. I've been looking at picking up a feldgrind. I wonder if this would be "enough" for espresso every now and then? If it uses the same set of burrs I don't see why not, what does everyone else think?

I can't see why. It might be more difficult to grind purely due to its size and maybe shorter handle, but it should be well capable of that.

Backed up. £45 for an MBK grinder with the same burrset as Feldgrind/Hausgrind + extras is a steal. Nevermind the beans, T-shirt, mug and Aerdisc!

I don't use Feldgrind any more as a main grinder, so Aergrind will be a good choice for travelling.

I'm in too.

I have been half thinking of upgrading my pourover handgrinder to a feldgrind for a while now.

To effectively do so for 50 quid and a bit of patience to have the same burrset and the same manufacturer, at a smaller (but in consequently smaller for me) formfactor its a no brainer to me.

This looks really great. However, given MBKs reputation I will wait for a 3rd party reseller to stock it.

Owning one of the first batch of Hausgrinds ever made I've had generally a good experience with Knock and with Peter but I have read all the complaints. I think putting this new grinder on kick-starter is a brilliant idea and should mean he can employ a customer service type person or at least speed things up in the production process.

Being able to do bigger production runs is what I think he's been working towards since the beginning?!?

Minimum pledge now £55 and expected shipping round about Aug/Sep. They are going fast so I think it will be a goer. Still probably £30-odd quid saving and from the description it sounds like he's making sure they have stock, so any delay will be if there are unexpected production issues. I quite fancy one of these. Backed.

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Just upped my pledge from the £55 to the 2 for £85 one he just added. Looks good and still less than I would pay for a used feldgrind.

Sage DTP - Compak K10 & Niche Zero

[quote=fatboyslim;484069 and should mean he can employ a customer service type person or at least speed things up in the production process.

Being able to do bigger production runs is what I think he's been working towards since the beginning?!?

Lol dont hold your breath for this, it's not like no one has suggested this in the past .

Id advise taking any delivery date with a pinch of salt . Kickstater gives you less guarantee than a PayPal and or credit card transaction and given past experience id wait for a reseller also .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

These seem to be flying and already fully funded. Not bad in less than 24 hours.

Well, against my better judgement and with Mrboots' warning resonating, I have flexed my optimism muscle and backed it. Will I live to regret it? Let's see.

Well, against my better judgement and with Mrboots' warning resonating, I have flexed my optimism muscle and backed it. Will I live to regret it? Let's see.

Did you go for the double deal ? There was 3 left when I backed it and its no longer available.

Did you go for the double deal ? There was 3 left when I backed it and its no longer available.

I did - in a moment of double optimism muscle flexing I upgraded my pledge (there were 5 available at the time) because I'll give one to my daughter if it ever arrives....or to Mrboots.

Kickstarter could be perfect for MBK though, you expect delays.

Not sure what I am going to do with the second, maybe one to keep at work.

The product looks good. I'm struggling to understand how a company that is 7 years old would need such a small investment. I get that there will be an initial high demand for the product due to the backers but we saw high demand when the last two grinders were launched at retail price.

I do hope that this will mean that Knock invest in the areas that they suggest as customer service and supply have let them down to date.

a grinder a lever and some beans

The product looks good. I'm struggling to understand how a company that is 7 years old would need such a small investment. I get that there will be an initial high demand for the product due to the backers but we saw high demand when the last two grinders were launched at retail price.

I do hope that this will mean that Knock invest in the areas that they suggest as customer service and supply have let them down to date.

They may have the capital for a small order but want to use the kickstarter to fund a larger order and reduce the per unit price.

The KS page says they are limiting it to 841 KS orders and that they will have a similar number to that for sales afterwards.

Bearing in mind a full KS will be >40K it may not be a small amount of money to them, I have no idea of there previous sales but they do seem fairly low volume.

They may have the capital for a small order but want to use the kickstarter to fund a larger order and reduce the per unit price.

The KS page says they are limiting it to 841 KS orders and that they will have a similar number to that for sales afterwards.

Bearing in mind a full KS will be >40K it may not be a small amount of money to them, I have no idea of there previous sales but they do seem fairly low volume.

Also a great advertising and hype machine.

Also a great advertising and hype machine.

Hype for the last two grinders was high, as was demand. The issue came with supply and communication which, having being one of those directly impacted, I can say was awful.

Hopefully MBK will learn from their past product launches and fix these but I wouldn't bet on it

Peter just posted a reply on the KS page on response to some similar comments on there. Prepare for wall of text.

"Hi folks,

First of all can I say thank you to everyone who has backed the project to date - honestly did not expect this level of commitment at such a speed!

I will give it another day or so before I get a full FAQ sheet up as it is still only 30 hours in. KS structure oddly doesn't seem to allow for this to be posted before the project goes live (though that may be my neophite mistake).

The Aerdisc is a 304 stainless steel metal filter for the Aeropress™ used as an alternative to the paper discs - exact spec will be detailed later. Other online sources are better placed to comment on the impact this has on taste and body and for the record this a robust rigid etched filter not the delicate, more flexible mesh filter (look those up).

Burrs are the same black steel as used in the Feldgrind and later Hausgrinds.

One of the major reasons for bringing this to KS is to enable us to increase our staff base and by extension to provide improved customer service - this is part of our declaration in the project statement and known risks sections. I also state this in the video. This is underway but unlike the amazing uptake you guys have made possible won't happen literally overnight.

We will be building every Aergrind in this project ourselves, right here in Portobello. No subcontracting or pre-assembled parts. That is the only way we can ensure that the grinders are built to our standards.

Not going to hide behind this phrasing - let's be clear, there are multiple parts involved in the Aergrind and they are not all from the UK or the EU, some are from the Far East.

This mixed sourcing is the first time we have done this for a Knock product and reflects 2 things - firstly that the worldwide demand for our products when set against the pricing model that we have on the Feldgrind and the Hausgrind isn't sustainable at the kind of volumes that our current manufacturing base can handle; secondly that the design for the Aergrind has achieved a degree of simplicity that means we run the risk of having cheaper copycat products stripmine the profits from our hard work and IP.

To this end we have registered for patent protection on various aspects of the Aergrind and have taken steps to ensure that our product has a wholesale-retail price structure that makes it genuinely difficult to produce copycat products to this quality level.

The Aergrind is (hopefully) a more mass-market accessible product than anything we have yet produced and as such it has to brace itself against the mass market economies of scale and production that our fellow quality grinder manufacturers / competitors are already working with. At this price point and with this distribution model it is not playing the same game as the Hausgrind so it needs to be done differently.

All the best,

Peter"

I started writing about how the new product will, more than likely, have a reduced margin compared to the HG and FG and how the KS funding will have a further reduced margin. Thinking how this will fund the changes.

The change needed is more fundamental than that. Its a mindset change and a total change of Peters model from shed-man to high volume product manufacturer and distributor. I do hope that the changes are made as his products are very good.