kennyboy993

Hands free dosing on a Mignon

I always use the timer, ive got it set to dispense 7.5gs per push. Its accurate enough for me.

I would also add that my mignon clumps less now than when i first got it new.

And ive found some beans clump more than others.

Now, that black plastic thing that lives in the chute,,, IIRC its meant to combat static,, but cant remember where i read that.

I used to weigh the beans each time when I used the bottomless PF to hone my technique. I tried the WDT but it was a bit fiddly, eventually preferred to grind directly into a little bodum jar and shook the crap out of it, which did a nice job at declumping, then dropping this back into the PF using my old 'WDT yoghurt pot funnel' to avoid losing grinds. Now that I've become relatively happy with my general technique, I have gone back to using the original gaggia PF with a single spout (helps for small cups) and then use the timer setting on the Eureka, dispensing slightly less grounds into the pf (around 15g) to avoid bottoming out on the showerplate (the gaggia PF won't hold as much) and I gently rattle the PF from side to side in the Eureka cradle as it dispenses which does a nice enough job at declumping and distribution and releasing that little bit of grounds captured in the chute, most of the time. I know this is Not precise or perfect, so I won't tell you to use this if you are dialing in or learning, but once you're comfortable and not too gram obsessed, it works pretty well and avoids a lot of faff in the morning when you're still tired and need the first cup ;)

Edited by zoglet

Rich

From Bodum > Bialetti Mokka > Gaggia Classic > MDF > Eureka Mignon > PID + Pimping > ECM Mechanika V Slim > Ceado E37J > The Grave :-)

Now, that black plastic thing that lives in the chute,,, IIRC its meant to combat static,, but cant remember where i read that.

Yeah it was stated somewhere that slight compression of the ground coffee removes the static

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Not precise or perfect, so I won't tell you to use this if you are dialing in or learning, but once you're comfortable and not too gram obsessed, it works pretty well and avoids a lot of faff in the morning when you're still tired and need the first cup ;)

You, Sir, are my new hero! I salute you - and shall aspire to your Zen-like approach to the first cup of the day. :cool:

PS: Also thanks for the practical advice. After doing my research, the mignon looks like good bang for bucks and the right choice for my first grinder to get a better-than-decent shot from my Classic.

Thorsten

My gear: Sage The Oracle Touch; Gaggia Classic, Eureka Mignon mk2; Rhinowares hand grinder, Kalita Wave, Brewista kettle, Aeropress, diverse moka pots

My coffee: Owens Coffee, Hasbean subscription,Crankhouse, this & that if it looks tasty

Posted (edited)

Lol, thanks mate. I try to be honest on here as I can imagine there are some that wince at the thought. I'm aware that I'm likely far away from the perfect barista cup but I've got to a nice quality/effort balance point where I'm happy with the outcome.

I do have the occasional guilty thoughts that I should be trying harder. My cappuccinos have a face only their father can love as any 'latte art', when attempted, looks at best like a myopic pygmy hippo pooped froth in my cup from the top of a ladder.

I found it was easier to appreciate my latte art as more Pollock than Escher.

"Slop it in and slug it daaaaaan"

Happy days ;-)

Edited by zoglet
The world deserved better

Rich

From Bodum > Bialetti Mokka > Gaggia Classic > MDF > Eureka Mignon > PID + Pimping > ECM Mechanika V Slim > Ceado E37J > The Grave :-)

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have any tips or mods for reducing retention?

Just for fun I bought some tube and a weight to single dose my Mignon. It’s working quite well.

However, after reading this thread and taking the front plate off I noticed an alarming amount of grind retained.

Here’s the tube. Ground to fit the lug on the Mignon collar. 40mm outside and 30mm inside diameter.

I’ve fashioned a plastic funnel for the portafilter

The metal weight is 29mm but I think a 30mm would have still fit, albeit snuggly.

Put some tape around the tube to help keep it snug but I think the retaining screw might solve that by itself.

1ad72f2d14a2a29a78aa74545fb6fa9c.jpg

779c823eb71cce9ff0c1fe6d0ab3a805.jpg

Excuse the mess

Anyway, retention?

Edited by Mr Kirk