greymda

best basket for Rancilio Silvia?

if you had to own only one basket, which one it would be?

La Marzocco Linea 1EE || Baratza Sette

Hi Greymda

18g VST would be my go to on the Silvia as a good general fit both for the std portafilter and boiler size.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Anywhere between 17 and 19 although as you get closer to 19 you need to check clearance on darker roasts so that you don't break the puck with shower screw. The 18g is good as it fits both spouted and naked plus is less finicky than the 15g so is a good all rounder (have 2 on the L2 as well)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

great, thanks!

i am after a good basket for some doubles in the morning, from one extraction half for my girlfriend's flatwhite and half for my morning espresso.

Hi Greymda

18g VST would be my go to on the Silvia as a good general fit both for the std portafilter and boiler size.

John

I agree, followed by with the VST 15g for single ristrettos

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

for Silvia, I would dose 16 g into the 15g basket and 18g into the 18g basket, but I've only got the latter one yesterday so still experimenting

the ratios for espresso normale would be 1:2 and for ristretto I tried 18g in and 25g out (cca. 1:1,4 ratio), this is of course dependent on roast level, the lighter beans need a bit longer extraction, otherwise the coffee is rather acidic

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

thanks and good luck on your next God Shot :)

don't forget to share your findings, later on.

I invested in a VST ridged 18g. Fits both the spouted and bottomless Rancilio PF's.

works a treat.

ACS Minima, Niche Zero and a VST 18g ridged basket.

what's the usual dose in and out?

Well I suppose depends on the beans. But for example....using Rave Italian Job, I thought I hit a nice spot with 18g in and 31g out in about 32 secs.

Of course by the time I had reached this nice spot I ran out of beans, as usual! Oh well!

ACS Minima, Niche Zero and a VST 18g ridged basket.

exactly because of this i now order 1kg of any beans. because till you set the grinder, till you find the dose, till you find the temperature...

Some aftermarket baskets are just too expensive for what they are. I recently bought a Rancilio basket (#40-100-103) and it's been fantastic compared to the stock basket that came with it. Well designed, fits the stock portaflter and holds 18+ grams.

https://www.amazon.com/Rancilio-18-gram-Double-Portafilter/dp/B00V2NZ2B6

This is Amazons UK price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rancilio-Double-Portafilter-Insert-Basket/dp/B018F7VMSS

Nearly £75? don't think so.

grimleyplex = 2002-2019 R.I.P. :(

There's always a chancer looking to catch someone out! Buyer beware and do your research etc etc

John

I bought a Rancilio Naked portafilter for the Silvia, it came with a 21g basket. I dose 18g and am happy with the results. The NPF is very useful especially if you like changing your beans regularly.

I always use the 18g basket with 18g coffee and have modified the shoverhead screw to a flush screw.

The output is about 33-37g in the cup.