Adjusting the OPV (over Pressure Valve) Gaggia Classic

Andy.

What can I say that hasn't been said before about adjusting bar on Gaggia Classic. Great article. Makes so much sense. But especially for your kindness in sharing with us all your gauge. Im new to coffee forum but finding it so helpful. Ive had my Gaggia 2Months and would like to do this adjusment. Are you still loaning out your gauge? If so I hope you dont think it a liberty to ask if I could loan it? If this IS possible can you tell me how to get on the list?

Kind regards

Ken

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Measure from the top edge of the OPV (with the screw removed!) to the top of the adjustment screw with a vernier gauge (Use the depth gauge on the bottom of the vernier) Make this depth 11.5mm. Y

OPV Adjustment for the Gaggia Classic   1. You will need a pressure gauge that has been modified to fit the bottom of the standard domestic Gaggia portafilter. (fig a)     This assembly cost

AndyL, thank you for posting this guide and thank you to those of you who similarly maxed out the pressure gauge and posted about it - my own pressure gauge did exactly the same thing when I adjusted

Posted Images

needle vibration is caused by the pressure gauge being full with air. My pressure gauge is filled with a liquid that prevents that bouncing.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 | Eureka Zenith 65E | Reg Barber Tamper 58.35

So glad that so many people are still refering to this thread. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol :

I'm good bro, not a lot of time to check in at the forum at the moment with work and twins but life is good.

How are you mate?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol :

Hi all.

I would love to do the pressure mod, any chance of getting hold of a gauge?

:) - Thanks!

Edited by autopilot

Gaggia Classic with OPV Mod @ 9 Bar + Silvia Steam Wand + 18g VST basket| Rancilio Rocky Grinder| Porlex Hand Grinder | Vintage De Ve grinder | HD Tamper | Rattleware Shotpot | Aeropress | Various French Press's, Moka pots and no doubt other stuff I will end up buying since finding this forum...

I adjusted my OPV to 10 bar static yesterday and I'm very satisfied with the results. Because of some problems with it it was set to 16 bar, i.e. completely stuck and closed. I am pretty sure I can "taste" the difference because now all of my shots are palatable while before they were always either very bitter or very sour.

Any way I could get hold of one of these?

Gaggia Classic with OPV Mod @ 9 Bar + Silvia Steam Wand + 18g VST basket| Rancilio Rocky Grinder| Porlex Hand Grinder | Vintage De Ve grinder | HD Tamper | Rattleware Shotpot | Aeropress | Various French Press's, Moka pots and no doubt other stuff I will end up buying since finding this forum...

Any instructions anywhere to make one?

Or even better, someone lens me one? I'll pay the postage :)

Hey guys, im guessing andys gauge is no longer in circulation, but if anyone is still out there and reading, could they help me chose the bits I need? Can I use my existing portafilter no problems? Also what are the requirements for the gauge - could I use the one off a car tyre foot pump (they go up to 15bar). Hope someone can help :)

• 1 month later...

I'd be interested in doing this too if someone could point me in the direction of a suitable gauge - or if anyone in London has one I could borrow?

I'd be interested in doing this too if someone could point me in the direction of a suitable gauge - or if anyone in London has one I could borrow?

I have one. I'm in paddington and work near Trafalgar Square. I'd rather not post it

Expobar Brewtus IV | Mazzer Super Jolly

I'd be all on for lending mine out - accept its broken.

Being honest there filthy easy to knock up off eBay all you need is 3/8th female to (whatever size your valve is) female ptfe tape and a valve - picked all mine up off a plumbing supplier and the only reason it's written off is the fact the bush was over tightened and cracked.

If I were to buy again I'd go for a elbow jointed bush - makes things abit easier

Londinium 1 - Rocket Giotto Evoluzione - Victoria Arduino Mythos - Mahlkönig K30 Vario

Hario V60 Decanter - V60 01 Ceramic - Hario Mini Mill Slim - Bodum FP

Picked the parts up to do this today but I can't get the spout off! Have moved it about 1/10th of a turn using a screwdriver through the hole for extra leverage but it seems totally jammed. Any tips on how to work it off?

the dreaded thread locker.....keep working it backward & forwards

Had to get some bolts off my Brompton that just would not shift due to thread locker, had a blood nut like the hulk, ended up twisting the industrial allen key we use at work. had to use pliers in the end

2012-05-17155102_zps52304f8d.jpg

Edited by glevum

Running at 10 bar. Got pretty wet. Had a mild panic when the unit wouldn't power up again after re-assembling but did a rudimentary check that everything was connected properly and it's working again now. Just waiting on it heating up before having a cuppa.

• 5 weeks later...

I put a screwdriver through the hole at the top of the spout and turned it. Initially it only turned about 40degrees. Ended up holding the spouts in some boiled water hoping it would expand them slightly. It loosened after that. May have just been that I had been working at them for a while though.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Hi, New to all of this!

I have a Gaggia Baby and wondered if this OPV mod can be done to that machine?

Thanks

Theoretically, no, practically, if you are willing to spend some money and get your hands dirty, yes.

The main differences between the machines are the OPV, the Classic has the 3 -way solenoid, being the most expensive, the other models have different valves, some of them you can adjust some of them which are fixed; other things such as the boilers and pumps are MOSTLY the same, but I guess vary depending on the age of the machine and some models, particularly the more cheap ones are a little different I think.

However, it is perfectly possible to replace a fixed OPV with an unfixed one from a different model, as apart from the 3-way, all the valves are essentially the same, minus the adjustable bolt.

*disclaimer*

I don't have a baby, so I'm not sure if the baby is fixed or adjustable.

Edited by Kyle548