I've started a thread on pay it forward for the pressure gauge to do the OV mod which I would recommend.

I see you've done the opv mod but not the pid. I've done neither but was interested to know if you were planning on doing the pid mod or if not why? I'm considering both mods but wary of opening up my machine and tinkering with things I don't understand too well.

Gaggia classic and eureka zenith e65

Hi ba, the opv mod is pretty easy, I know nothing about modding machines and did it pretty easily, this link will take you through it:

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?3859-Adjusting-the-OPV-(over-Pressure-Valve)-Gaggia-Classic

I have a pid and the RTD PT100 (from Mr Shades) Link here:

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?20110-Gaggia-Silvia-Pt100-RTD-sensor-for-PID&highlight=P100

I need to buy the rest of the parts required ssr 40AA, wire etc, I'm a bit reluctant to try it, this is a link how to do it:

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?19674-DIY-PID-Steam-and-Brew

If your gonna give it a go let me know how your getting on, maybe could help each other out.

Edited by GCGlasgow

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Great thread. Very informative, especially about newer models being built for lower energy consumption, not optimal function.

Looks like the last link / the video has been made private. Are there any other good examples?

Thanks for all the information has been really helpful! I am getting used to my classic but a double shot seems to be coming out in around 16s, is this most likely because of my tamping technique or the fact that I haven't bought a grinder yet so am using pre ground beans (from pact). Thanks again for the info

Almost certainly the latter - get a grinder!

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Fantastic guide.

I have just acquired a 2011 model classic.

I'm still using a hario slim hand grinder but already the coffee is the best I've ever made at home. With this guide I'm sure I'll improve it further! Thanks!

Just bought a Classic from another member today! Cant wait to get it and start playing around with it. Been reading through all of the links on here. Thanks for the helpful info, it seems daunting but hopefully will all be worth it.

Sage DB (black) and Niche Zero (black)

I'm just in the process of trying to upgrade my rather paltry setup of an Aeropress and a Cleverdripper so this guide has made very interesting reading whilst I was in my lurking phase :)

Thank you for the very kind offer, it looks like a cracking offer for someone but sadly I'm still in the trying to convince the girlfriend of the expense phase :D

I wish you all the best though, it really does look a fantastic set.

Took delivery of a second hand 2014 classic this evening, and have stayed up far too late reading and getting excited. Need to invest in a decent tamper first as it didn't come with the plastic thing. this thread is a great introduction, thanks

Took delivery of a second hand 2014 classic this evening, and have stayed up far too late reading and getting excited. Need to invest in a decent tamper first as it didn't come with the plastic thing. this thread is a great introduction, thanks

Assuming you're from Kent?

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

Do yourself a favour and invest in a 58.35 or 58.4 straight up (needn't be over £30 or so though), even if you're staying with the standards baskets and not jumping to VST. A 58 feels just a little loose in mine, and I'm waiting on delivery of a new 58.4 (with new VST basket, but that's another step)

Looking forward to buying a classic soon. probably 2nd hand. This is a great resource for us newbies

Foolishly bought the new Phillips Gaggia before reading about it, trying to return it and will look to get a second hand older model instead.