2 double and single some also come with an unoressurised double basket.

what makes the mitts the best budget tamper?

At £14 from cream supplies it is just so cheap, it also is well made and has a nice weight to it, admittedly the handle could be better and it is not in the same ball park as say a torr tamper, but it is only £14 !!!

AKA Toffee chips

The motta tamp is the best budget tamper available

Thank you. I will pick one, then. And still no Gaggia Classic here.

Well, looks like that I will have to pick one new...

Gaggia manual service offered you one of theirs posted!

AKA Toffee chips

I fitted Silvia wand on mine yesterday but not much steam coming out of it.

May have to check the fitting, maybe I didnt insert it into the nut far enough.

the manual link is broken? Just got my 2nd hand classic. How are the baskets supposed to fit into the portaholder thing? I can get them in by pressing hard but then quite hard to get out??

Chris

Home: Fracino Heavenly; Eureka Mignon. Work: DeLonghi Magnifica 4110 Bean to cup.

They are more than likely ridged baskets , so pressing them in is ok . Popping them out using the edge of a blunt instrument or something works too .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

yeah seems to work

Chris

Home: Fracino Heavenly; Eureka Mignon. Work: DeLonghi Magnifica 4110 Bean to cup.

I'm getting a "layer" of water on top of the puck. ~What am I doing wrong?

Chris

It can be normal. Are you definitely getting a spray of water back through the solenoid when you cut the pump? If yes then try increasing the dose of coffee in the basket.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

When I got my 2nd hand classic I had the same issue. I descaled and backflushed the machine to make sure there wasn't any scale blocking anything. I was using stale supermarket beans at the time and as soon as I changed to freshly roasted beans the problem disappeared. My question therefore is, what beans are you using and are they fresh?

Thanks all, I will try the various suggestions and see how things go. I suspect the first issue is too fine a grind. I thought I had my Iberital set just right, then 'er indoors admitted that she thought the knurled button was how you turned it on...

Chris

Just bought a second hand (one owner) Classic modified with a Silvia wand and PID for £200. It arrived a couple of days ago and is in perfect condition on the outside and only according to the seller ever having spring water low in magnesium and calcium put through it.

Came with a single, double and bottomless portafilter, four filter baskets plus one blank basket for back flushing, kit for coffee pods, milk thermometer, shot glass and metal tamper.

Still to buy a grinder so got some pre-ground from Whittards however, will read this thread thoroughly before trying to pull a shot.

Really excited about my new journey into the world of real coffee.

Gaggia Classic w/silvia wand and PID, Brasilia RR55OD, Motta 58mm tamper, Motta Stainless Steel knock box, Motta Stainless Steel 350 & 500ml Milk Frothing Jugs, Brewista scales, Tiamo tamping station, Notneutral cups & mugs. Technovorm Mochamaster, Clever Dripper, Aeropress....Lots of determination.

Best of luck in your journey! With a PID on your classic you should be able to make some really good espresso based drinks!

I just upgraded from a classic but she will always hold a dear place in my heart!

Lots of info and help is available on the forums. My biggest tip: Get some scales (jewellery ones from eBay are good and cost a fiver) and weigh the amount of dry coffee to the weight of the shot produced! Really helps to dial in your shot!

Good luck!

Espresso::Rocket Giotto Evo 2::Mazzer Mini::

Brewed::Eureka Mignon:: Baratza Encore:: V60:: Aeropress::

Can I ask some knowledgable soul to post up details of temp surfing? I'm going round in circles otherwise with bitter espresso.

thanks

Bitterness could be caused by a lot of things.

If you have a Classic this is how I do it.

with the removed from the machine, Press the brew button and flush out approx 1-1.5oz of water from the group head. Wait till the brew light goes off after about 15 secs, fit the PF and wait for the light to go back on. When it goes back on hit the brew button straight away.

my shots were bitter when I first started out just because they were channelling due to poor distribution.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Just noticed you're using Mignon. Have you tried WDT?

If not type it into YouTube and give it a go. Weigh the dose you put in the of and also weigh the shot out. It should be approx 1.6 times your dose. I.e an 18g dose should produce a 28g shot in weight.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper