Thanks, tried removing the plastic attachment and got the swirling motion no problem. THe only thing was that I was lacking any froth. Lowered the pitched to incorporate some air into it but never wasn't too good. I still think it's better until the silvia arm arrives though.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post pictures when I achieve results!

Hello again.

I have just fitted the Rancilio Silvia steam wand to my Gaggia. Took seconds to do. Never had to do any sanding and it fits perfect. Rotation is smooth. Only thing I noticed was that I couldn't fit it with a washer attached. Maybe that's what I had to sand down for? Just ran my first jug of milk to try and steam it.

Perfect results! I can't give it enough praise. It was the perfect silky smooth milk I was trying for! Now I've realised that I need to have a look at my extraction of the espresso to get things spot on. I seem to pull through quite quickly (I'm grinding the beans fine enough and tamping down with plenty of pressure). I don't seem to be getting that initial dark coffee before it blonds off. It does go lighter but I'm obviously off the mark a bit. I'm gonna trawl through this forum a bit more to see what I can do to improve.

To say I'm excited at the moment is an understatement!

By the way I got the wand from ebay from the Espresso Shop in Glasgow. £21.95 plus free delivery!

(I'm grinding the beans fine enough and tamping down with plenty of pressure).

After what you said about your extraction. What makes you say this? Because from what you're saying it doesn't sound like you've got it quite right yet. If you're tamping too hard the puck might just be cracking and letting the water through a channel. It's a fine line between tamping too hard and not hard enough. All dependent on grind size and coffee type of course. :D

Rocket Appartamento | Mahlkonig Vario | 58mm Rocket tamper | AeroPress | VST 18g basket | HappyDonkey Bottomless PortaFilter

Yeah, you're right.

I just tried again and made sure that I ground down finer and applied a load of pressure. Ended up the opposite, with a slow extraction. I need to practice with getting this right.

Thanks for your help.

A few pointers to help you in the right direction on your quest:

1. Only change one thing at a time and keep everything else constant between extractions.

2. To get the right extraction you will need to tweak a combination of the grind size, tamp pressure, quantities of ground espresso and beverage produced and the time the extraction runs for. See #1 above.

3. Use scales to weigh the ground coffee you are putting in the filter basket and the quantity of liquid espresso you are producing.

4. To start with aim to produce a liquid espresso that is double the weight of the ground coffee used in around 25 seconds using approximately 30 pounds of pressure to tamp. e.g. a 28g espresso using 14g of ground coffee.

5. Keep all variables the same and keep adjusting the grind size until it takes around 25 seconds. Grind finer if the extraction is over too quickly and coarser if it is taking too long.

6. Once you are close to 25 seconds, taste the espresso - does it taste sour and overly acidic or does it taste bitter/burnt. If the latter then grind more coarsely and let the shot the finish earlier (maintaining the same output espresso weight) and if it tastes bitter then grind finer and let the shot run for longer.

Compak K3 Touch, Fracino Cherub, VST 15g & 18g filter baskets, Reg Barber Tamper (58.4mm flat and 58mm c-flat)

Baratza Virtuoso with Esatto attachment, Hario Buono, V60, Kalita Wave, Chemex, Aeropress, Porlex Mini

great thread guys, very informative !!

Insert witty comment here.

Excellent guide with lots of useful insights and tips. Really helped me make my mind up as to which machine to purchase.

Thanks!

Rocket Giotto Premium Plus V2 | Eureka Mignon | Torr Convex Tamper | Technivorm | Espro Press

Thanks so much for putting this thread together. It really helped me 2 days ago when my gaggia classic arrived. I had read quite a lot beforehand but it's something else to actually put your hands on the machine and press the "on" button for the first time (I'm a complete newbie in expresso making with a machine - not a stovetop pot). I was very careful to follow the instructions about priming the pump from your article here but I couldn't believe how well it went and how good the first coffee tasted (YES, YES, even though I had no choice but to use the included, updated pressurised filter basket and widget thing). Even the wand worked ok and the milk was frothy if a bit cool. I'm beginning to get the hang of things now and look forward to all the tweaking you are inspiring me to do. But for a bit, I'm just enjoying the new experience!

Thanks from another newbie here... just bought a second hand Baby Class, but a lot of this info is obviously very useful (and maybe if I'd seen this forum sooner I'd have got a Classic, ah well).

:)Hello, Just wanted to say how useful this thread is!!!nice one!!...and to share my coffee journey. I was loving my french press for about 9 years and then I suddenly realized that there was a whole world out there! Coffee in the morning is the first most important 'ritualistic' drink of the day and therefore, I believe that care and attention is needed to get a truly beautiful result (actually its become a bit of an obsession for me!!)...I decided to buy a flashy delonghi machine about 6 months ago from Amazon and was enjoying the 'foamy' creme until the pump packed up (a well known problem)...I then got my hands on a gaggia classic and I'm loving the learning journey in true espresso style!!!...Ive learned all about over and under extraction, dosing, timing, and the effect that tamp pressure and grind has on the flavor etc (forums and youtube are a life saver!)...I think that the pressurized baskets have their place (sorry) (Im getting a gorgeous result with Lavazza crema e gusto!) and that the unrefined baskets (from HD) are superior with true espresso grinds (also currently enjoying Lavazza espresso pre-grind!) I'm about to leap into the world of 'fresh home ground grinds' as im confident that this is the next step...The 'geek' in me has researched all about the different types of grinders...thinking of going for the MC2 from HD...does anyone have any alternative suggestions or tips? Ive heard that its a bit of a beast to use... Thanks again and 'chin chin' - looking forward to conversing with you all on CF UK...cheers Mark

Gaggia Classic / Iberital MC2 doserless / HD tamper / Salter 1g NAWI :coffee:

Hi All, first post! :-) So, I've got a classic. I love coffee, and I'm looking at mods already... just wondering if anyone here has had any success with PID-ing a classic using a Raspberry Pi as the controller?

Cheers

Adam

No but I'd be interested in seeing the results when you've done it. I expect a little 7" lcd showing temps and progress of drink etc. :D

Rocket Appartamento | Mahlkonig Vario | 58mm Rocket tamper | AeroPress | VST 18g basket | HappyDonkey Bottomless PortaFilter

The 'geek' in me has researched all about the different types of grinders...thinking of going for the MC2 from HD...does anyone have any alternative suggestions or tips? Ive heard that its a bit of a beast to use... Thanks again and 'chin chin' - looking forward to conversing with you all on CF UK...cheers Mark

I went for the Eureka Mignon. I first started using it on Tuesday and found it really easy to get a decent grind. It costs a little more than the MC2 (which I also considered) but, to my eyes, looks a whole lot nicer in the kitchen. It's also surprisingly quiet in operation.

I was in two minds about the improvement that a fresh grind would have over my illy ground purchases. It took just a single cup of Union Roasted to convince me otherwise and, with the addition of a proper steam wand yesterday my cappuccino's are now a whole lot nicer (in my humble opinion).

~~~~~

Ian

Fracino Cherub, Eureka Mignon grinder, empty bank account.

It is funny how it takes actually trying it to prove to most people that it can make a difference. It seems pretty obvious when you think about it. but I bet there'd be a whole lot less posts on this forum if people just took our word for it to begin with :D

It is funny how it takes actually trying it to prove to most people that it can make a difference. It seems pretty obvious when you think about it. but I bet there'd be a whole lot less posts on this forum if people just took our word for it to begin with :D

I think that, certainly in my case, having bought reasonably expensive illy ground coffee (or so an Italian colleague commented) since having the Gaggia I was concerned that my skills would be insufficient to do a better job grinding my own and then turning it into a decent cup of coffee. To my taste at least, even with only a few days of practise, it does taste a whole lot better than with a freshly opened can of illy. Glenn is visiting us in a little over a week from now and I may need to eat (or drink) my words, we'll see.

Maybe it's a daft analogy: it's almost like growing and then eating your own vegetables compared to buying them as a ready meal which just needs heating up. So much more overall satisfaction!

~~~~~

Ian

Fracino Cherub, Eureka Mignon grinder, empty bank account.

No but I'd be interested in seeing the results when you've done it. I expect a little 7" lcd showing temps and progress of drink etc. :D

Ah well we'll have to see what I can come up with, don't want it to be too intrusive! I'm already in enough trouble with the OH for the space it takes up and the cost!

Just ordered my classic so will have a good read through this thread.i have a cheap delonghi burr grinder so next on the list is a new grinder