Note 2015 New Gaggia Classic models have no solenoid and as of yet , a method for OPV has not been found

Congratulations!! Think of the soundtrack to ‘Titanic’, because you’re currently standing on the bow of a small boat, arms outstretched, bound for the new and exciting world of Coffee!

In case you haven’t already realised, www.coffeeforums.co.uk is fantastic. The people on here are sooo helpful and friendly, and in no time at all you’ll be making great espresso. You’ll also probably soon want to get into brewed coffee, but let’s leave that to one side for now and focus on helping you get started with the Classic.

I hope you’ll spend the time reading through old posts on here – many questions have already been asked at some point, and answers have already been given. But I thought I’d just offer up some words, and links to threads, websites, youtube videos etc. These are the ones I still have bookmarked on my browser from when I got my Classic and started the never-ending quest for the perfect espresso (the “God Shot” as one forum member recently called it :) )

1. http://www.coffeecrew.com/learning/255-gaggia-classic-step-by-step

It’s a fantastic primer in using and maintaining the Classic, and starting to adopt a good espresso-making process.

2. http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/gaggiaclassic/details

Another good post to help you learn about your machine. You need to understand it before you can use it properly.

3. http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?2995-Gaggia-Classic-newbie-starting

Some typical things you need to do right away. Contrary to what you might expect, the Classic isn’t shipped with everything you need.

4. http://www.gaggia.com/dam/bo/allegati/files/23_classic.pdf

The Gaggia Classic manual that comes with the machine. Following the instructions in the manual will not automatically get you making great espresso, but they are a good start.

5. http://www.bluebox.com.au/jcrayon/gaggia/

How to change the Group Gasket on a Gaggia Classic Espresso machine. If your machine is second hand, there’s a good chance you need to do this. Don’t worry... it’s easy, and it’s also a great way to get used to the idea that if you want good espresso then you need to learn a few things about the workings of the machine. Like I say, don’t worry! You’re probably going to like it, and will soon even be keen to make a few modifications to your machine.

6. http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/gaggiaspareparts.html

Happy Donkey stocks some of the main parts and accessories you will need. This page lists some of them.

http://www.espressoservices.co.uk/gaggia_accessories.html

This Glasgow-based company are also great. David works full time on repairing and maintaining lots of different domestic espresso machines, and they have good access to parts.

7. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11548518#post11548518

Very soon you’re going to realise that the original steam wand on the Classic isn’t great for making those lattes and cappuccinos. Thankfully you can buy a longer, better wand to replace it (but take care – this will invalidate your warranty if it’s a new machine). Here are some more links on the subject.

http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=1311

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1126833848

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4851

To fit this to a new 2015 model classic pleas go here for instructions

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?21693-Putting-a-Silvia-Wand-Onto-New-2015-Gaggia-Classics&p=257916#post257916

8. https://www.happydonkey.co.uk/espressomachinebackflush.html

To keep your machine clean, some people recommend backflushing. This is a quick and easy process that you don’t need to do that often.

9. http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?2390-Adjusting-OPV-on-a-Classic

After a while you might start thinking of doing the OPV mod. This basically just involved turning an allen key, but you need to understand what is going on, and decide whether you want to do it or not. Some people say it’s not necessary... other people swear by it. Sorry, there’s no definitive right answer – like many things in coffee.

Here's another link. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53799445

This is quite a cool little tutorial in pulling an espresso shot with the Classic. In time you’ll develop your own version of this, working in slight tweaks and improvements, but it’s good to see someone else’s process.

Have fun!

Edited by Mrboots2u

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this thread together. As a newbie to all this espresso malarkey I've read through each of the links you posted and found them to be a very useful guide.

Thanks again,

Steve

A huge thanks also, has helped me no end over the last few days, i had previously spent about 3 hours scouring the net for links on how to fit my new steam wand, ended up following a youtube video. Very tempted to try out that OPV mod soon now that i know about it too.

Will aslo be trying my portafilter without the little black plastic jobbie in, never realised it can be better without!

Excellent info. Thanks a lot. Another newbie keen to follow the guidelines from the pros!

Kind of you to say, lukevl, but I promise you I'm only a few months ahead of you in the learning stakes. Glad these links were helpful though :)

Thread made sticky :)

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Thanks you!. Very helpful..

And yes, my machine has the chromed steel bypass tube pre-installed.

Could anyone tell me exactly the purpose of this thing?

Can I leave it removed or is it necessary to put it back on it's place after moving

the water-reservoir?

Thanks...

You could leave it out but will spray water everywhere. The point is when you stop a shot the solenoid switches and the water shoots down the tube in to the drip tray.

Hi guys n gals

Thanks for all the info here. I received my Classic yesterday, run thru all the info in the manual and made my 1st espresso. Using Doug Egberts ground coffee. Not impressed with the taste. Also i have looked at a couple of uTube videos and my Classic doesn't seem to force water thru the head very fast. So i have tried all sorts to get it to work properly. Looks like it may have to go back to Tesco. Cheapest place i found at £199.

Anyway can anyone suggest a coffee? I usually have either Costa or Starbucks when i am out and was hoping to bring the same taste home. I don't have a grinder yet as i need to know is it better to grind my own? or just buy ground? Also what's the best way for storing the coffee?

Many thanks

Thanks for all the info here. I received my Classic yesterday, run thru all the info in the manual and made my 1st espresso. Using Doug Egberts ground coffee. Not impressed with the taste.

How exactly did it taste, was it sour or bitter?

Using fresh coffee ground immediately prior to brewing will certainly help. Grinding the beans yourself will also give you control over the level of resistance the brew water encounters whilst travelling through the coffee (finer ground coffee creates more resistance, coarser ground creates less) and hence the amount of time it spends in contact with the coffee.

Also i have looked at a couple of uTube videos and my Classic doesn't seem to force water thru the head very fast.

Is this directly from the group or with the portafilter locked into it and the water running through its spouts?

Anyway can anyone suggest a coffee? I usually have either Costa or Starbucks when i am out and was hoping to bring the same taste home. I don't have a grinder yet as i need to know is it better to grind my own? or just buy ground? Also what's the best way for storing the coffee?

Many thanks

The main thing to look for when buying coffee is freshness - ideally measured in days since it was roasted. There are lots of online roasters who roast coffee to order at reasonable prices. Good places to try would be HasBean and SquareMile.

Once you have your coffee store it in an airtight container, removing as much of the air as possible before sealing. The coffee should be kept in somewhere relatively cool and dry and out of the light. Only ever grind as much coffee as you need and do it immediately before use.

Compak K3 Touch, Fracino Cherub, VST 15g & 18g filter baskets, Reg Barber Tamper (58.4mm flat and 58mm c-flat)

Baratza Virtuoso with Esatto attachment, Hario Buono, V60, Kalita Wave, Chemex, Aeropress, Porlex Mini

Hi guys n gals

Thanks for all the info here. I received my Classic yesterday, run thru all the info in the manual and made my 1st espresso. Using Doug Egberts ground coffee. Not impressed with the taste. Also i have looked at a couple of uTube videos and my Classic doesn't seem to force water thru the head very fast. So i have tried all sorts to get it to work properly. Looks like it may have to go back to Tesco. Cheapest place i found at £199.

Many thanks

Please read these two threads. They're almost exactly up your street. They've both just bought a Classic and are less than impressed with supermarket pre-ground coffee.

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?4846-Help-with-my-nakedness!!!

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?4903-Supermarket-ground

Short answer. You're going to need a good grinder and some fresh beans to get the most out of your Classic.

Welcome and enjoy the journey. It doesn't come over night and takes time and practice (but it's well worth the effort (and money))

Rocket Appartamento | Mahlkonig Vario | 58mm Rocket tamper | AeroPress | VST 18g basket | HappyDonkey Bottomless PortaFilter

Hi guys n gals

Many thanks

Like some other members posted, if you have the money it is very wise to spend it on a good burr grinder. Don't buy a cheep one, since the grinder is as important as your machine. When I started out I didn't have my own grinder yet, so I bought espresso ground from hasbean. They are really good, in that if the grind is too course or too fine (it takes some getting used to the way tamping pressure and coarseness works) you just have to send them an email with the request to adjust it a bit with your next order and they will do so.

But as I said, if you grind at home, you will experience much better tasting coffee. (Way better than starbucks)

Gaggia Classic | Rancilio wand | Iberital MC2 | Bottomless PF | 18gr VST | Aeropress | Bodum French Press | Porlex Grinder | Fresh Beans

Just got a refurbished Classic this week and I love it. First thing I did was order a standard double basket (it came today) now I have amazing espresso with real crema

:)

Hi all.

With the help of snooping on these forums, I have just graduated from a press to a Gaggia classic. Beans wise I am a slave to hasbean purely as I was unaware of where else to try, but looking forward to trying some of those recommended on the forum.

First shot took 40 some seconds, 2nd took 18. Little bit of practice needed, and also on milk. Going to look to Rancillio wand. Is it easy to fit and return if needed as only just purchased and don't want to void warranty, obviously if it can be replaced easily may do it straight away. Heard the results are excellent, any feedback on this?

Just got a refurbished Classic this week and I love it. First thing I did was order a standard double basket (it came today) now I have amazing espresso with real crema

:)

Is there a reason for this? Any advantage over the one supplied with the machine?

Is there a reason for this? Any advantage over the one supplied with the machine?

The one that comes with machine is a pressurized basket (just a single hole underneath) designed to be used with the plastic widget.

Many people,me included, had problems with the machine spraying coffee everywhere with these. I bought a proper basket from Happy Donkey and never looked back.

Just got a new Classic today. First thing I did was order a standard double basket and second to install pid.

Great post!!!

Hi Folks,

I've finally taken the jump and purchased a brand new Gaggia Classic (£182 from Amazon). After looking at a load of machines I thought this was the best.

I've been on countless websites, viewed loads of youtube videos and bought a few apps on my phone that reference coffee. My ultimate aim is to be doing Latte Art. I started with a Mr Cappucino machine made my Morphy Richards which I fast realised was worth naff all when it came to making good espresso and microfoam.

On Saturday I set up the Gaggia Classic, purged the steam wand to get going and got started with texturing my milk.

Let me tell you that I thought I knew what I was doing when I started. Almost immediately the milk in my stainless steel jug began creating huge bubbles and by the time I'd finished it had a head of froth on the top. I went back to the drawing board and two days on I'm not much further forward. I have ordered the Silva steam wand which I will be fitting as I've heard that the Pannarello wand supplied isn't the best. That being said, there are a lot of youtube videos where people do manage to achieve the silky smooth microfoam that I can't.

The problems I'm having seem to be coming from:

1: Not getting the milk to swirl when first getting going.

2: The volume of milk increasing (It gets to the point where the black arm nearly vanishes in the foam, and the foam nearly escapes the jug before ity reaches temp).

3: The foam is far too thick. When I try latte art it pours fine, but the foam simply lands on the coffee at the end. Unless I'm spooning the foam on, I can't do anything.

Can anyone help me with where I'm going wrong. What angle should the jug be at? All the videos don't display it properly. Exactly how far into the milk should the head be? How do I stop the massive increase in volume?

It's taking over my life.

It sounds like you still have the panarello attachment (the black plastic nozzle) on the steaming wand. It is very hard to avoid big bubbles using the panarello attachment - it is designed to do this. The Silvia wand will work much better but in the meantime, try removing the outer black sleeve from the panarello attachment leaving just the little jet/nozzle underneath. It will be a bit short but should give you more control over the size of the bubbles.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Compak K3 Touch, Fracino Cherub, VST 15g & 18g filter baskets, Reg Barber Tamper (58.4mm flat and 58mm c-flat)

Baratza Virtuoso with Esatto attachment, Hario Buono, V60, Kalita Wave, Chemex, Aeropress, Porlex Mini

Sounds to me like you've got the tip of the wand too near the surface of the milk. If you do this then big air bubbles are drawn into the milk and you get the massive head. Try dropping your tip a bit deeper.

Finding the angle to get a good spin is frustrating indeed. I don't think it helps with the Classic's frothing assistant thingy. Quite often I'll start a really nice wave then it disappears and I just can't get it back. You'll probably find it easier when you get rid of the steam arm that came with it and more important get rid of the frothing assistant thingy.

Give the milk a good swirl around in the jug and knocking it on the counter can help the microfoam combine the foam with the milk more so it actually comes out when you pour it. You'll usually see them doing this in the videos even if they don't mention that they do. See at 1:35 on this video

Unfortunately I don't think the Classic will be the answer to you latte art dreams. Don't get me wrong it'll do an alright job but you're probably going to have to spend a bit more if you want effortless frothing.

Edited by chimpsinties

Rocket Appartamento | Mahlkonig Vario | 58mm Rocket tamper | AeroPress | VST 18g basket | HappyDonkey Bottomless PortaFilter