Beeroclock

Sage DB reliability - opinions please.

Hi All

am about to push the button on a Sage DB as there are some good deals about...this is to replace my ageing and slightly frustrating Silvia at home, (have a La Spaziale mini vivaldi 2 at work which I love). I only make one flat white a day (at home) and 4-8 at the weekend depending.

The Sage ticks all the boxes in terms of quick up to temp time relatively compact easy to clean etc. The machine will come with a 2 yr guarantee - my worry is once this ends, is it case of throwing it away if it goes wrong?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks Philip

looking to buy from ecookshop - but john lewis won't price match as their online business is separate to their stores?? - could get an extra yr on my extended warranty cover through my bank...

if you buy a tv, do you expect it to last any longer than the warranty period? I have a Sage with 3 years John Lewis warranty, but I would probably expect to chuck it after that, however, Sage do route all their repairs through one UK company who say they can mend anything so I would not worry

Fair play...just weighing up the costs...3yr old Expobar would still be worth a bit and fully serviceable - though I realise this is a different machine etc.

Whilst the DB isn't built to last a lifetime I will be disappointed if mine only lasts as long as the warranty, I've had TV's that last for years and only get rid of them to buy something more modern.

It's not a given that the DB will only last 3 years, although, if it can't be repaired after three years I will have had my money's worth. At the moment it hasn't missed a beat and it's a fabulous machine to use.

My view is go ahead and buy one, they are a great machine for the money and if you want an extended warranty they can be bought separately at a cost I suspect.

Bezzera Strega & Niche Zero

Or buy from Lakeland with their lifetime 'satisfaction guarantee' which I think a few people have used to replace items outside the warranty before. I bought from there myself for my Dual Boiler. Very happy with it.

Sage Dual Boiler/ EK43 /Technivorm Moccamaster/Feldgrind / Aeropress / Clever Dripper /Bodum & Le Creuset Cafétières

seems no reason why a machine of that class shouldn't last 5 years +. Sure it's not a steel and chrome prosumer jopbbie that you can keep going for 20+ years but it should be fairly robust.

Edited by DavecUK

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Another vote for the Lakeland warranty. i've had the joy of using it in the past for some other kitchen electricals and they didn't bat an eye at the prospect of replacing a six year old piece of kit with a new equivalent; really couldn't fault them. Just don't lose the receipt...

I got my my DB in January 2015 from ecookshop. Their service was great, but when machine packed up after 6 months (steam boiler), they wouldn't swap DB for another machine like John Lewis is doing for it's customers. I was left on my own to ring Sage appliances customer service and they did fix the problem, although it took 3 weeks just to replace faulty boiler. In January 2017 I've started experiencing problems with DB again: this time was leaking from steam wand and hot water spout. Service team had to come twice to sort the problem out. It turned out that it was steam valve (faulty). Just a few days ago, after descaling machine (don't know if it's any coincidence or not) my beloved DB started playing up again: making "funny" noises, and no water coming to extract coffee and hot water spout is working intermittently. Rang customer service and was advised to descale machine again. Unfortunately, it's no better. I'm not sure what could go wrong, but the top of DB (where I usually have my cups) is significantly hotter than before (around 55•C). I'm really disappointed in DB performance, but I think I've got "a bad apple". I wasn't expecting all of this problems literally just outside warranty period. I only make 2-3 coffees a day, so in my opinion it should have flawless performance longer than 2 years.

Hmmm this is what I'm worried about, at £849 from ecookshop with 9 months interest free - it seems like a no brainer. There just isn't anything out there quite like it for the price. John Lewis won't match ecookshop and not sure about lakeland. They obviously sell a ton of these machines - so it's hard to guess where they fall in regards to the others. Would be interesting to do a poll on who's had problems etc.

Hmmm this is what I'm worried about, at £849 from ecookshop with 9 months interest free - it seems like a no brainer. There just isn't anything out there quite like it for the price. John Lewis won't match ecookshop and not sure about lakeland. They obviously sell a ton of these machines - so it's hard to guess where they fall in regards to the others. Would be interesting to do a poll on who's had problems etc.

Can you not buy an extended warranty through Domestic & General or the likes of

Had a quick look at D&G and they didn't recognise Sage (or Breville for that matter) as a manufacturer:starving: Can't us my Barclays additions any more cos they've screwed me and stop that particular cover....

Buy it from John Lewis pay the extra to have the comfort they bring .

A poll on problems wouldnt tell you much as you dint know how many has been sold ( alot i I imagine ) . How many errors are down to user error ( poor water , descale etc ) and how this compares to other machines

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Completely agree with Boots.

Worth buying from a company with a good reputation for aftersales service rather than an online box-shifter

Any servicing/repair work is likely to be managed through Sage, but if you have no luck with them then Lakeland always give you the option of just handing it back for exchange or refund.

If you want to be cheeky then you can ask Lakeland if they will price match as they include online retailers but it will have to be a silver one as that's all they sell. It has to be a retailer promotion rather than a sale item for them to match it.

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

Lakeland sell on Amazon. It is full price but they also extend the warranty to 3 years for £39. Amazon regularly has these on at a discount so wait a bit and see what turns up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Coffee-Tea-Espresso/Sage-Heston-Blumenthal-Boiler-Machine/B00G6FVTTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489056638&sr=8-1&keywords=sage+dual+boiler

Lakeland do price match online, I did this with them last week

Thanks for all the responses and do agree - however it's the £849 deal I was interested coupled with the interest free option - If I go to lakeland or John Lewis - we're back up to over £1000 and I'm not sure I'm prepared to shell that out on the Sage - would probably rather look at a traditional machine on that basis.

I think these machines fall into categories. Those that will never miss a beat (and there seems to be plenty fitting that category) and those that will need repair. I think it just comes down to which type of machine you receive and thats the difficult part. I got a red one price matched by John Lewis and a black one from Ecookshop. I have made this point before. Sage have a repair contract with

http://coffeeclassics.co.uk/what-we-do/machine-repair-or-breakdown/

so your machine will always be fixable and Sage themselves normally seem to play ball with older machines , but.......is a traditional machine a better bet for longevity?

Interest free deals can be replicated for any purchase using an interest free credit card. Even PayPal now offer 4 months at 0% for purchases over £150.

If you are debating whether or not a Sage DB is worth a £1000 then that is something that can only be answered by you based on your circumstances. I paid quite a bit less for mine but I also compared it to a nearly new Rocket R58 (which had cost me £1100 *£1800 new) and I preferred the Sage.

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

Thanks for all the responses and do agree - however it's the £849 deal I was interested coupled with the interest free option - If I go to lakeland or John Lewis - we're back up to over £1000 and I'm not sure I'm prepared to shell that out on the Sage - would probably rather look at a traditional machine on that basis.

I have owned & used both types.

Other than the Vesuvius which is in a class of its own, over the years I have owned a Izzo Vivi, a La Spaziale S1 & several other machines of the same kind.

To my almost complete surprise the Sage Oracle (upmarket DB) meets all my needs & outperforms the other prosumers without falter.

Ron 

Have checked with John Lewis and they will price match Go Electrical, which has it for £888 at the moment, if that interests you.

So I called John Lewis this morning and they will price match Go Electrical - but the extra 1yr warranty option for £39 seems to have disappeared since yesterday - all they are offering is accidental cover for 2 yrs at £25 (runs concurrently with the standard warranty)....perhaps in light of their recent announcements they are tightening up....