Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Decided to make my first proper contribution to this forum, as I at last feel like I might have something original to share. :)

 

To set the scene - my set up is some 10 years old SJ towering over a post-millenium Europiccola. I acquired the kit right around Christmas time, SJ from an office close down sale and EP from the bay. Both were slightly bunged up but as dramatically as you sometimes see on this forum. Basically a good strip down, clean, and change of burrs and gaskets was good enough for me, especially since I'm basically doing all of this on my living room table with whatever tools I can borrow from friends.

 

Getting to the point here, with my limited "workshop" capabilities, the doser proved to be a worthy adversary when it came to disassembly. Little by little everything came apart except (you guessed it) the dreaded bottom vane. Out of principle I refused to attach anything that I hadn't meticulously cleaned onto my darling SJ. Having tried every trick I could find online, I temporarily settled with what I call the "ghetto mod". This actually served me really well for the 2 odd months but let's face it, it looks hideous.

 

IMG_20170218_145206.jpg

 

Enter a colleague of mine, who I fortuitously overheard talking about his 3D printer one day at work. This is something that had crossed my mind before, but I never really investigated it further. Partly because I thought it would be too costly, partly as I had no experience in 3D designing. A few tips from the aforementioned individual and an intense Sunday afternoon later, I've now got my hands on the first version that only cost me half a reel of PLA filament and a few quid for electricity used. (=£15)

 

 

The driving points in my design were

  1. Covers the whole gap into the base, attaching with both the bottom and top screws for stability.
  2. Dispenses onto the standard portafilter fork. (Although my PF is naked so wouldn't matter)
  3. Funnel opening is tailored for my 51mm portafilter.
  4. Is at least somewhat pleasing to the eye.

 

I also made it easier for myself by using the same measurements of the original doser as a basis, despite the fact the I could've used this opportunity to slim down the profile of the grinder. I suppose visually its bulkiness provided some balance for the heft of the base. I know you're just here for the pics so here you go:

 

 

IMG_20170218_145533.jpg

 

Basic profile

 

IMG_20170218_145524.jpg

 

Front

 

IMG_20170218_145543.jpg

 

Top

 

IMG_20170218_145557.jpg

 

I'm really happy with how the bottom screw panel turned out

 

Now, this is just the raw version straight out of the printer, so I still need to:

  • Sand down the edges
  • Drill screw holes and chute gap
  • Coat whole thing with food grade epoxy (PLA is technically food safe but 3D printing as a manufacturing method is not)
  • Print a lid

Hopefully I will remember to post an update after every step.

 

If I ever do make a v2, I'll definitely print it slightly thinner, 5mm seemed like a good idea for a rookie but turned out to be a massive overkill. The standard screws might be too short to attach that monster now. Secondly I'm a bit worried if I made the vertical lip at the bottom too short to stop the grounds from sliding off diagonally. I also might consider just removing the PF fork and printing a slim profile funnel since I don't use the fork with my bottomless PF anyway.

 

I'm happy to share the 3D model .stl file with anyone interested (for non-commercial purposes), but take no responsibility for how yours might turn out. :) Keep in mind that some services online quoted a price tag £150 for this model so I would assume this is only economical if you have access to a printer yourself one way or the other. Also I can't give any advice for the actual printing process (temperatures, materials, nozzle speed etc.) as I know basically nothing about that side of things! Any other questions I'm happy to answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry about about the food grade nonsense, it's only not food grade because bits of food can get stuck in the gaps and go off. Not really a problem for coffee and it's not going to kill you.

 

However, PLA is notoriously difficult to sand, so a coating of epoxy may well be the best way to go to get a smooth finish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

In my opinion better, cheaper and less time consuming solution would be to buy funnel from ebay and cut it to fit Mazzer SJ.

It would also look better, shiny metal parts suits well Mazzer SJ... this way you should use epoxy coating to make it better looking...

Link to post
Share on other sites
In my opinion better, cheaper and less time consuming solution would be to buy funnel from ebay and cut it to fit Mazzer SJ.

It would also look better, shiny metal parts suits well Mazzer SJ... this way you should use epoxy coating to make it better looking...

 

It is not a particularly easy or less time consuming solution, but it does look better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...